Thread: Fixing a EJ22T Spun main bearing?

"FNG"
    Level
    Level completed: 33%, Points required for next Level: 134
    Achievements:
    1000 Experience PointsO.G.

Fixing a EJ22T Spun main bearing?

So a few months back I found a Legacy SS in a junk yard, and jumped on the short block as a spare motor for later down the road. I was delighted at the idea that one of these days I could build a nice EJ22T monster for my 92 Legacy Wagon . When I finally got around to tearing it down and checking it out, come to find the Main Trust bearing had spun (no wonder why it was in the junk yard). Now I got the block on a Pick'N'Pull half off sale weekend so I'm not out a lot of money, but it sure would be nice to have this motor. I took it down to my favorite machine shop, to see what they could do. The bearing journal seems to be one of those things that I know its bad but it could be worse, so I'm hoping it can be fixed. The machinist said he has a friend who had fixed one before and was gonna see what he could do for me. I'm putting this out there to see if anyone else has been able, or heard of a Subaru block being salvaged? Any ideas/feedback would be helpful. Thanks
    -1992 Legacy Wagon

Level
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Achievements:
    25000 Experience PointsO.G.Overdrive

Re: Fixing a EJ22T Spun main bearing?

Topic moved to the appropriate forum.

Provided the block isn't ruined, I believe anything can be rebuilt, but I'll leave the more experienced to tell you what you can do about the bearing.
    ~Mark [SLi Admin]
    2015 Dodge Charger AWD
    2008 Subaru Tribeca Limited, 7 passenger w/ Navigation

Former vehicles:
    03 Forester
    95 Legacy Outback

"FNG"
    Level
    Achievements:

Thanks, I wasn't really sure where this question fit in lol. Yea the block is fine, the cylinder walls looked amazing. It was just that damn main journal is over sized to big for an over sized bearing.
    -1992 Legacy Wagon

Level
    Level completed: 15%, Points required for next Level: 170
    Achievements:
    5000 Experience PointsO.G.

It can be fixed by adding material, but it might not be cost effective. One thing that you can look into is having them weld material to the journal and then have the halves ground out for the phase II crank. What you are seeing is the reason they moved the thrust bearing in the phase II engines - "crank walk." Usually happened on 5mt ej22t's and ej20g's due to stiffer clutch plates over time, but I've seen one or two from a 4eat car.

Another suggestion I will make - if it turns out it's not cost effective to fix the ej22t, then any n/a or turbo ej25 block with stock sti internals will work. Better cooling than ej22t, more torque off the bat, and strength is not an issue under, say 300whp (or more) when tuned. The only time an ej22t really makes sense is with fully forged internals running >25psi on racegas, IMO. And yet I love me some EJ22t
    NOOB
    Giggity
    Quote Originally Posted by ericem
    oh boy, thats bad for canada!
    -92 SS 5mt. Will be for sale once I rebuild the engine.
    -00 RSTI. Full Version 8 swap.
    -03 H6 5mt swapped baja. Front torsen, DCCD, rear Torq Locker, dual range.

"FNG"
    Level
    Achievements:

Mike ur awesome,Yea this was a 4EAT car. Thanks for the input and the back up ideas lol. I think if this plan falls thro, I'm gonna do a mild N/A motor. I have a nice set of EJ22 heads that have been ported and a EJ25 bolck. I think would make a fun high compression motor. This bulid is getting out of control lol.
    -1992 Legacy Wagon