Thread: Getting a PS3

Level
    Level completed: 68%, Points required for next Level: 325
    Achievements:
    O.G.Tagger Second ClassSocialOverdriveRecommendation Second Class
    Awards:
    Posting Award

Getting a PS3

Ok, so I have decided that I'm going to get a PS3. I've been wanting to play the new Gran Trismo and also Ace Combat: Assault Horizon REALLY bad!Both games I have been playing for years....

So I need to know what kind to get... I dont know much about the different versions and what not. Last time I got a new game system, it was day one of the PS2 so its been a while.

SLi Supporter
    Level
    Level completed: 17%, Points required for next Level: 835
    Achievements:
    10000 Experience PointsO.G.Recommendation Second ClassSocial
    Awards:
    Frequent Poster

Re: Getting a PS3

Lets start off by saying PS3 is not all its cracked up to be.

It fails just as much as the 360.

Sure you get the Bluray player and a sleek design but thats about it.

Grand Turisimo is awful. hands down terrible physics engine and customizations. I know its a GT series game but 7 years in the make ... this game does the series no justice for the current technology we have to offer.

The other games you listed I am sure you will have a blast..

I'll say this once. Get a 360 and all the Forzas :-D

As far as the PS3 itself.. Current PS3 models are "slim" so they are small form factor :-/

You can either get a 160gb or a 320gb model. Is there a difference... well not really unless you constantly download add-ons / demos / netflix / etc..

When PS3 first came out they cheaped out on the vibration (rumble) in the controllers.. This is not the case now a days.. Everything is "dual-shock"

So what do you really need besides the console itself?

If you have a Hi-Def TV with HDMI in it then you will need a HDMI cable.
    If you want to play with friends then get 1 ~ 3 extra controllers.
    PS3 has built in WIFI but if your a heavy online gamer its best to use a network cable (RJ45 / Cat5)

PS3 can only read from a USB key or hard drive thats less then 64gb aka (FAT32 file system) so don't expect your 2TB usb drive to show up.

-Chuck

Level
    Achievements:
    Awards:
    Posting Award

Ok, this is where my gamer part is kinda funny... I hate Xbox controllers! Too many f'ing buttons and I get pissed trying to learn them.

So you can get a feel for the games I plan and how long it really has been...
    -Gran Trismo (all)
    -Ace Combat (2-4?)
    -Need for Speed (from 2-Undercover... Most wanted is most fun to play for just fun)
    -Tekken (only fighting game I play)
    -WRC (2006 I think...)
    -D1 (Drifting)

Now other games I would play would be WWII fighter plan games. A friend had a pretty cool on on Xbox and I think it is Forza that my buddy let me build a S13 Silvia and I could do a RB26 motor swap. Thats cool and almost sells me on it.

So on Xbox I have 3 games I know I would like... Ace Combat, Forza (if I'm thinking of the game), and I know they have that cool WWII Fighter game. I have a feeling they have the NFS games, but then again, I only get the ones I know I will like, like Most Wanted or Carbon. I like them with story lines.

Again, the selling point to me is I know the PS setup well. I also know there are 2 games I want right off the bad. Blue Ray does not sell me since I could careless for it (and dont try selling me on it, I have seen Blue Ray and was not impressed! Dont like seeing failed CG in detail).

If you are going to try and sell me on an Xbox, you need to give more details since all I really know about them is the controllers piss me off.

And as of now, no I will not be getting a wheels or a stick for the games. I'm not that hard core, just wanna have some fun outside of my shop every now and then... After playing the same games the the last 5 or so years, you get kinda bored...

SLi Supporter
    Level
    Achievements:
    Awards:
    Frequent Poster

Xbox controller has the exact same amount of buttons and layout as the ps3 controllers.

square / circle / triangle / x = A/B/X/Y
    on the top/back there are 2 buttons on each side.. xbox has the same except R2 and L2 are triggers which is much nicer then a flat square button.
    Start / Select / PSHOME circle = Back / Start / Xbox Logo circle
    both have 2 joy sticks. both have a d-pad.

your talking about size at this point.

I cant talk you into a xbox 360 becuase you have to pay to go online and play with ppl and there is no Sony Titles like GT/Tekken/FF*

Its up to you.

If you don't care about bluray or web browsing (which is a joke on ps3) then go for an xbox. Forza makes it for me man. I've been playing Forza series since Xbox 1 ... I HATE GT series period.

Buy what you want.. PS3 is priced better and has more free features but at a cost of laggy online play and shitty overal interface.

-Chuck

Level
    Achievements:
    Awards:
    Posting Award

Ok... So what is the average price for each one that would be able to do online if I decided to do it...

Oh, I got a laptop for the web... LOL

SLi Supporter
    Level
    Achievements:
    Awards:
    Frequent Poster

@ Target USA

250GB XBOX 360 = $299 http://www.target.com/c/consoles-playst ... /-/N-5xtfn
    320GB PS3 = $299 http://www.target.com/c/consoles-xbox-3 ... /-/N-5xtfe

Both come with 1 controller. Both come with built in WIFI. Both have HDMI. Both have Netflix. Both are black. Both are slim.

PS3 online game play = FREE
    Xbox online game play = $53 per year http://www.target.com/s?searchTerm=xbox ... categories