Thread: Headlight out. Lamp or bulb broken? 02 legacy

New User
    Level
    Level completed: 48%, Points required for next Level: 78
    Achievements:
    Veteran1000 Experience Points

Headlight out. Lamp or bulb broken? 02 legacy

Hello, I've lurked in the forums for a little while, but now I need help so I'm posting.

I bumped into my fence post the other day and my drivers side healight went out, though the amber was still working and hibeams worked as well. Now, a few days later the amber has gone out. so basically its time for a new headlight, but I don't know whether to purchase a whole new headlight assembly (because this particular one looks like oxygen and moisture got inside as its yellow and has condensation) or just to buy a bulb for now and deal with the shoddy yellow lamp for a while.

OR!!! is this electrical perhaps? because the headlight wiggles in place, and the fact that the amber went out afterwards is suspicous.

Thanks, and let me know if i need to clarify my issue more or anything.

Level
    Level completed: 7%, Points required for next Level: 372
    Achievements:
    O.G.10000 Experience Points

Re: Headlight out. Lamp or bulb broken? 02 legacy

if moister is in the housing, there could be some corrosion on the contact points?
    I would try cleaning those up first.

Level
    Level completed: 92%, Points required for next Level: 17
    Achievements:
    O.G.5000 Experience Points

Re: Headlight out. Lamp or bulb broken? 02 legacy

Yellowing means it has been exposed to UV, which is unavoidable really. The yellowing can be combated, for information on that go here: http://voices.yahoo.com/diy-restorat...ts-281757.html(the guy who wrote it has a Subaru). Anyway, check the bulbs and the connectors for corrosion and moisture. For the housing, take the bulbs out and let it sit near an air conditioner (for the dry air) or if you have access to some desiccant use that. Also just make sure the filament in the bulb is good still. You can use a multimeter set to measure resistance between the ends of the filament; there should be a very small amount of resistance. Also use some large jumpers to hook the bulb up to the battery. Of course use caution to avoid shorting the battery.
    1997 Legacy L Wagon EJ22 Auto 237,000 miles