Quote Originally Posted by hupshall View Post
I took apart my D type BFM to see about getting the security light to work. Although the circuit actually exists on the circuit board, none of the components are present.

I populated these components and tested the board:

The other problem is that the gauge silkscreen doesn't expose the security LED, so I carefully cut out the underlying shape (which was a key)

I put in translucent red acrylic behind that hole and once installed behind the smoked plastic lens of the BFM, it disappears.

Here it is all complete

Seems to work just fine.
When you populated the board, what resistors, diodes, caps, etc did you use? Soldering in some LEDs is pretty straightforward but I'm not sure what to use to populate the other components which are in the circuit. For example, the Security circuit connects to what's labelled as:

R409
D401 (which goes to pin 7 on the 30 pin connector)
C415 & R410 (which I'd assume sets the time constant for the flashing?)
the sport shift light bulb socket (easy to source)
D171
TR172 (perhaps a A1674?)
CR512
R174 (SMD?)
R175 (SMD?)

Any idea on these? Can you share where you found a diagram or what you did? It would be very much appreciated. I tried taking apart the USDM cluster I took out of my car and it's a different circuit... I have an Impreza cluster I can rob parts off of but this JDM board is a lot more complex than the USDM boards I've messed with before.