Thread: Subaru Legacy Build. EG33 Swap

New User
    Level
    Level completed: 59%, Points required for next Level: 62
    Achievements:
    1 year registered1000 Experience Points

Subaru Legacy Build. EG33 Swap

Hey everyone I am finishing up my subie and have decided to post my progress. This site has helped me find some valuable information throughout the swap/build.

The Beginning
    About a year and a half ago I purchased an EG33 engine from a dude in Pennsylvania. I then got a great deal on a 95 Legacy L with a snapped timing belt. When I went to pick it up I discovered that it was not all wheel drive . Because the body was clean (for a 18 year old subie) and the price was good I bought her anyways. I then got myself a 97 Legacy Gt sedan with 150k, 5mt, and a blown engine. Over the past few months I had swapped over the manual trans, AWD subframe, GT body parts, body wiring, and many other bits to the L. I took my time and had some fun doing it (Okay..it wasn't all fun)

3.3 Powerplant
    A few weeks ago I finally mated the eg33 to the 5mt and with some modification I had the engine in and a Saab turbo radiator installed. Now that the easy part was over I could worry about the engine management system.

After quite a bit of research and thinking about my overall plan I decided to do away with the stock SVX ecu (For those who don't know the 3.3 came in the SVX). This was mainly because of the ECU being designed around an auto tranny and the possibility of the car running in "limp mode" as a result. Since I want the car to be tunable and a learning experience I picked up a megasquirt 3 kit with the expansion board for sequential fuel injection. I also installed a Dual VR board from JP Belanger to smooth crank and cam signals.

Where I am now
    I currently just begun my Senior year of college and am very busy because of it. I am left with a physically assembled car, ecu, and ecu "stimulator" aka JimStim. What is left is for me to wire the Megasquirt to the eg33. I have done some research and it has gotten me pretty far.(Just a few sources below).
    http://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/showthr ... 860&page=3
    http://www.rs25.com/forums/f72/125775-s ... rce-3.html
    http://forum.jbperf.com/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=1089

Currently, I could really use help laying out the wiring to the sensors and designing my Tunerstudio program around the specific sensors on the engine. I would be very grateful for any assistance whatsoever. It would be a huge help if someone running an eg33 off megasquirt could send me their tunerstudio .msq file to get me started.

After this I just have to worry about little things like fixing the tach for a 6 cylinder (need converter) body work and getting the engine temp signal to read on my gauge cluster.

So if anyone out there is familiar with Megasquirt please let me know! EG33 experience would be nice, but any experience whatsoever would also help a lot.
    Thanks for your time and I look forward to updating you guys with pics and progress as soon as I can.

Level
    Level completed: 81%, Points required for next Level: 76
    Achievements:
    VeteranOverdrive10000 Experience Points

Re: Subaru Legacy Build. EG33 Swap

I'm afraid I have no experience in this, but your car sounds like it's gonna be a real beast!
    2002 Outback H6 VDC "Blitzen 6"

Quote Originally Posted by Lancaster6
    A sherpa could rip ass somewhere high up in the Himalayas and my Prius will be blown almost off of the road.

t3h ub3r m3mber lord flashheart's Avatar
    Level
    Level completed: 26%, Points required for next Level: 224
    Achievements:
    5000 Experience PointsO.G.

hey. ive built a half dozen eg33 builds. i think you will be super happy with that engine. especially if you have 4.11 gears. they rip pretty good with 4.11s
    anyways. the megasquirt i havent used on a eg33. mainly because they are set up for use with ford sensors if i recall correctly.
    the the cam and crank sensors are going to be a head ache. unless you find someone who has done a subaru on a mega squirt.. you will probably be setting the phasing and tooth count from scratch, and possibly your own trigger wheels.
    i helped do that once. and it was an absolute nightmare. the engine sat on our dyno for like 3 months. on that one we ran batch fire, so running sequential will complicate things further. all the companies like AEM have teams of professionals that will spend a month making 1 start up calibration.
    i dont mean to rain on your parade. just want to make sure you know what your getting into and sharing my knowledge of the eg33.
    i know you are concerned about the factory ecu, but unless you are running more than 5 psi of boost on it.. i would run a factory ecu.
    the only thing that will make the ecu go into limp mode is if it doesnt see vehicle speed. they make a "simulator" to trick the ecu into thinking its going 30mph all the time. its really difficult to get a stand alone to function as well as the factory ones, and ive never seen anyone get a megasquirt to function decent on a subaru.
    let alone function flawlessly.
    i personally would run stock ecu with a FIC6 or a Emanage.
    if you are determined to do it,
    i would go to a forum that deals specifically with megasquirt ecus..
    not many people on this forum have much experience with the 33 and almost none have experience with megasquirt
    No, no ,no I'm not insulting you, I'm describing you!

New User
    Level
    Level completed: 59%, Points required for next Level: 62
    Achievements:
    1 year registered1000 Experience Points

Hey thanks for the replies! Trying to graduate has kept me busy, but the subie is stored for the winter in a place where I can tinker with engine management stuff.
    I was able to find the fuel and timing maps for the JDM SVXs and this seems to be a good place to start with my tune.

Someone was kind enough to convert these HEX values so they can be plugged directly into TunerStudio. I am still researching basic parameters for the EG33 tune. I am attempting to use the stock trigger wheels for both the cam and crank. I'll keep you all posted.

t3h ub3r m3mber lord flashheart's Avatar
    Level
    Level completed: 26%, Points required for next Level: 224
    Achievements:
    5000 Experience PointsO.G.

Nice bro i was thinking about this build the other day, im glad its going smooth
    No, no ,no I'm not insulting you, I'm describing you!

Level
    Level completed: 84%, Points required for next Level: 64
    Achievements:
    10000 Experience PointsO.G.

this is the build I wanted to do the most
    2007 Impreza WRX STi
    2012 Impreza 2.0i Premium CVT
    Sold 1997 Legacy L Sedan, 2.5L 12:1 Compression Hybrid, The 'Lego'
    RIP - 2005 LL Bean Outback, The 'Bean' & 1999 Impreza Outback Sport