Thread: Cooling problems.. (Radiator options?)

t3h ub3r m3mber lord flashheart's Avatar
    Level
    Level completed: 26%, Points required for next Level: 224
    Achievements:
    5000 Experience PointsO.G.

Cooling problems.. (Radiator options?)

So after i recently installed A/C in the old scoob, a week later, i was driving home and glanced at my Temp gauge which read 235+ degrees F. i limped it home and now on the freeway or with the A/C on the temp climbs pretty rapidly.
    For those who didn't follow my build thread. Its a "EJ23K" De-stroker turbo setup running factory EJ22 Auto radiator.
    I'm thinking that a combination of factors are leading to this conditions (A car that sat for 6+ years, additional load from the compressor, less airflow to the radiator etc.) but there is one inescapable fact: if i wanna track my car i need a radiator with more cooling compacity.
    So: anyone have suggestions on options? what fits? what doesn't? I test fitted a GC8 radiator and its much to tall. (Those who know me/my car know that im not opposed to fabrication to make things fit)

One odd side note: this happened the day after i installed fender linings and (in an attempt to reduce road noise) rubber moldings around the engine bay. I cant imagine that those affected the airflow so much that it overheats but it is a strange coincidence
    No, no ,no I'm not insulting you, I'm describing you!

Level
    Level completed: 8%, Points required for next Level: 139
    Achievements:
    1000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Quote Originally Posted by lord flashheart View Post
    One odd side note: this happened the day after i installed fender linings and (in an attempt to reduce road noise) rubber moldings around the engine bay. I cant imagine that those affected the airflow so much that it overheats but it is a strange coincidence
    Process of elimination - remove them one at time and see which one makes the biggest difference. That's if it's not too hard to remove the rubber moldings of course.
    Pedro

t3h ub3r m3mber lord flashheart's Avatar
    Level
    Level completed: 26%, Points required for next Level: 224
    Achievements:
    5000 Experience PointsO.G.
    yeah i am thinking im going to start with a flush, fresh fluid, thermostat, and Water Wetter in the short term. Of course its possible that the gauge is lying to me. I tapped into the back of the cylinder head to install the mechanical gauge on the premise that it would be a more accurate reading and the that gauge has consistently read higher temps.
    But the main purpose of the thread is radiator options. I'm sure someone has seen someone do something clever with our cars for cooling.
    No, no ,no I'm not insulting you, I'm describing you!