Thread: Head unit-less amp suggestions?

"FNG"
    Level
    Level completed: 38%, Points required for next Level: 62
    Achievements:
    1 year registered1000 Experience Points

Head unit-less amp suggestions?

I'm opting for a headunit-less set up (first time) and I'm not sure what amp to run in place of the head unit. Of course I'll need to be able to plug in my 4 door speakers, but I'm also wanting to run a separate amp/sub in the cargo area so I need sub-outs. My goal is to play music off my phone, so it will also need AUX input. I have been looking around but I'm not finding much variation in amps, are there any that you guys know of that would meet my requirements? Budget isn't as important as quality, I'd like to do this right the first time. Thanks in advance to your replies, I'll keep searching too of course.

EDIT - so just after posting this I thought to search for motorcycle amplifiers. This is providing many more results, but feel free to share your experiences!

Level
    Level completed: 44%, Points required for next Level: 112
    Achievements:
    5000 Experience PointsO.G.

Re: Head unit-less amp suggestions?

When I was into stereo stuff I used a line driver, it's just like an inline amp. Just get a headphone jack to rca "Y" adapter plug into phone or anything with a headphone jack and then run rca cables from line driver to amps. Here's one at crutchfield.
    http://www.crutchfield.com/p_136CLRLC/J ... L-RLC.html

Level
    Level completed: 70%, Points required for next Level: 45
    Achievements:
    1000 Experience PointsVeteran

Re: Head unit-less amp suggestions?

For the same price as what was posted above, I got this, it has a 6 channel out instead of the 2 channel on that.
    http://www.amazon.com/Clarion-EQS746-Gr ... +crossover

I used a 4 channel amp, plus an amp for my subwoofer. This gives you 2 RCA inputs, with volume control as well as control for the overall sound. This is how I control my iPad in mine. Was worth the money to me. Comes with brackets so you don't have to mount it in the dash if you don't want to, mine is between my seat and the center console screwed into the console.
    1997 Subaru Legacy L Wagon (OB Limited Conversion)
    1966 Chevrolet C-20 Pickup