Thread: How hard did Subie screw audiophiles with the '06 Legacy?

Level
    Level completed: 64%, Points required for next Level: 72
    Achievements:
    5000 Experience PointsO.G.

How hard did Subie screw audiophiles with the '06 Legacy?

The wife's '02 GT Limited is about to leave the stable, used hard and hung up... well, damp. It's been a wonderful car, which is mostly why I haven't been posting much in the last five years... no issues LOL. But now it's looking it's age and opportunity knocks.
    Anyway.
    I'm about to pull the trigger on an '06 Legacy GT Turbo, 5spd. Newport Blue, creamy beige leather, loaded, gorgeous. Been looking for this exact car with a stick shift for five years, and finally found one. My one reservation right now is the stereo: one of the things she loves most about her '02 Leggy is the double-din Pioneer head unit we put in it, with full ipod interface and bluetooth for her cell phone. She won't use her phone in the car without it, and she won't get an earpiece.

The '06 we're looking at has the six disc in-dash CD changer, which even as far back as 2006 was IMO rather old school. What concerns me most about it is how it appears to be integrated with the super-sweet digital climate control. The only thing I can find online is an install kit for the triple knob style HVAC, and I'd rather not go to the expense of downgrading my climate control just so we can put a decent head unit in the car.
    I also don't see any way to link her phone to the factory stereo, something else I'm surprised apparently wasn't offered yet. I really thought Subaru had touch screens systems in these things by '06, I remember seeing them in Mercedes when I worked in car audio and that was back in '98. But I can't find anything, and I'm hoping I just don't know where to look; because I can't believe that the no phone/6CD system in this car was the best Subaru offered for the 4th gen of their flagship model. I know I can get an interface for the ipod to work with the factory system, but it's far from an ideal solution and I have no idea what to do about the phone. Any of you folks found a way around this issue?
    -Jess
    '02 Leggy GT Limited 5spd
    '06 Leggy GT Turbo 5spd

Level
    Level completed: 34%, Points required for next Level: 267
    Achievements:
    5000 Experience PointsVeteran

Re: How hard did Subie screw audiophiles with the '06 Legacy

You'll need the Japanese digital HVAC and trim to install an aftermarket head unit in the factory location. It's not cheap to do. :smt009 Take a look at this thread:

http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.p ... l?t=113589
    97 BD GT - Baller Husky Hauler II
    06 OBXT Limited - Baller Husky Hauler III
    Quote Originally Posted by nikolaus.conrad
    I have the strangest urge to lick your car, and rub my face on it...

Level
    Achievements:

Holy crap.

Perfect, thanks.
    -Jess
    '06 Leggy GT Turbo 5spd

Level
    Achievements:

Think I may have found another solution at Crutchfield: the Parrot MKi9200 ($199) with Crutchfield's Subaru Bluetooth Wiring Harness ($29.99). The harness goes between the vehicle wiring and the headunit, integrating the phone function with the stereo, and if I understand correctly, also allows control of the ipod stashed in your glovebox. I'll try this first, and post back how it goes.
    -Jess
    '06 Leggy GT Turbo 5spd

Level
    Level completed: 70%, Points required for next Level: 45
    Achievements:
    1000 Experience PointsVeteran

Did you do this yet? Another very simple solution is the iSimple IS77. Connects to virtually any car's factory stereo through the antenna. Installed one in my friend's G35 last week and it works quite well. I was surprised actually, I thought it would be total crap, but it sounds great! Was like $45 shipped of Amazon too.

Bluetooth is a nice touch though, very convenient. However that would be roughly 5x the cost...

The IS77 just takes a hot and ground wire, then has a switch you turn on when you want to listen to the iPod instead of the stereo or vice-versa. This system also works for ANYTHING with a 3.5mm (headphone) jack. So when you upgrade your iPhone, or iPod to one with the new Lightning connector you aren't totally screwed, like you are with many things. It also has a 30 pin dock connector that charges the iPod/iPhone/iPad.
    1997 Subaru Legacy L Wagon (OB Limited Conversion)
    1966 Chevrolet C-20 Pickup

Level
    Level completed: 26%, Points required for next Level: 224
    Achievements:

I did the double din JDM swap on my 2005 LGT. It's well worth it. I just installed the Claraion NX603 with NAV, DVD, etc. It really looks so much better with a nice big screen in there.
    The three most common expressions in aviation:
    "Why is it doing that?"
    "Where are we?"
    "Oh S...!" *(The last three letters are omitted since when this expression is said, there is little chance to finish it)*

Level
    Level completed: 90%, Points required for next Level: 5
    Achievements:
    3 months registered500 Experience Points

Hey y'all. I've been scouring the internet and forums for something other than the jdm double din conversion for fourth gen legacy. Is that $300 kit really the only option? I could get ahold of a 07 stereo with aux, but that system is pretty outdated by now.

Is it possible to cut the bottom climate control section off the top?

Thanks!
    05 LGT Wagon 5spd

Level
    Level completed: 70%, Points required for next Level: 45
    Achievements:
    1000 Experience PointsVeteran

Quote Originally Posted by squidthorn@gmail.com
    Hey y'all. I've been scouring the internet and forums for something other than the jdm double din conversion for fourth gen legacy. Is that $300 kit really the only option? I could get ahold of a 07 stereo with aux, but that system is pretty outdated by now.

Is it possible to cut the bottom climate control section off the top?

Thanks!
    Take a look at this option I posted.

Quote Originally Posted by Cooper197
    Did you do this yet? Another very simple solution is the iSimple IS77. Connects to virtually any car's factory stereo through the antenna. Installed one in my friend's G35 last week and it works quite well. I was surprised actually, I thought it would be total crap, but it sounds great! Was like $45 shipped of Amazon too.

Bluetooth is a nice touch though, very convenient. However that would be roughly 5x the cost...

The IS77 just takes a hot and ground wire, then has a switch you turn on when you want to listen to the iPod instead of the stereo or vice-versa. This system also works for ANYTHING with a 3.5mm (headphone) jack. So when you upgrade your iPhone, or iPod to one with the new Lightning connector you aren't totally screwed, like you are with many things. It also has a 30 pin dock connector that charges the iPod/iPhone/iPad.
    1997 Subaru Legacy L Wagon (OB Limited Conversion)
    1966 Chevrolet C-20 Pickup