Whiteline rear diff support bushings

Wheels/Tires:
    Prodrive P7's
    Nexten N5000

Engine/performance:
    Snorkus Delete made by me
    Perrin down pipe
    Cobb catback

Here's a long winded intro to my favorite car I have ever owned.

I haven't been on here a ton lately, and thats most likely due to the fact I haven't done much to my 1992 L, as it hasn't needed a ton, and I have had other projects. Well that changed last winter, and I forgot to make a thread over here. I was starting to get board with my wrx, everyone has one these days, and I wanted to build up something that I personally appreciated, and also wanted something you don't see everyday. I started looking high and low for a Legacy SS, and found one pretty local to me, It was rusted beyond repair,had sat in a mouse infested shack for 6 years, and oh yeah it didn't run. Did I mention it had 270k on it? Well after some work (replacing rotted fuel lines, and cleaning out the decaying gas) I got that old ss fired up, it was a moment of accomplishment when I drifted it out of the shop into the drive way. From that moment I was hooked with these cars. At first I started looking for a new shell to swap all my parts onto, but than I decided maybe I wanted to just find another ss. Decided it had to be a 1991 I'm a sucker for the pre facelift , this lead me over to the BBS where I found my car. A 1991 legacy SS that had some dents, but over all was decent and ran well, and had been five speed swapped. So after talking to the owner over a couple of phone calls, and emails I was going to buy this car. I got some plain tickets for my dad and I, and we took a bus to Boston, and few out to portland Oregon...

The first (very rusty) SS which I still own and am keeping for parts. This was taken this year and our first snow fall.

After going to see the spruce goose, I got to see the car for the first time, took it for a test drive (leaking a lot of oil) and purchased it.

Milage when we took off

We started heading down the coast to avoid a storm that was in the center of the country, and noticed the car leaking a lot of oil, more than I expected even after the test drive. Turns out the oil cooler was leaking out of the top seal, so we bought a spare oil filter and removed the seal to replace it. While at a parts store we met this super cool dude with a VW beetle that said we could use is garage to fix my oil leak.

California!

Snow in Nevada

Hoover damn

In Flagstaff Arizona, I had to get new tires here after breaking a belt in Nevada after making sure the turbo was working correctly After that we had more snow, rain, sand storms in Texas, tornado warnings, pretty much bad weather all around. But we made it home.
    Milage report
    Last edited by 1982gl4; 12-30-2015 at 06:36 AM.
    Long live the first gen!

1992 Legacy L
    1984 GL FWD wagon
    1986 EJ swapped Brat
    1991 Legacy turbo

Level
    Level completed: 76%, Points required for next Level: 37
    Achievements:
    Veteran1000 Experience Points

Re: 1982gl4's 1991 Legacy Sports Sedan

As soon as I got home I gave it a tune up, changed all the fluids, air, and fuel filters, than the modifying started.
    First thing to go was the amber in the tail lights. I loved the way this made my wagon look, and I like it just as well in the sedans.

Up next Jdm corner lights, and a custom built snorkus delete.

New steering wheel and boost gauge

Sway bars front and rear

Put my prodives off my wrx on it before i sold it (no way I was letting those go), and wrx 4/2 pots

Cobb cat back, and perrin downpipe made to fit (I work at an exhaust shop so it's very easy for me to do things like this)

Strut tower brace

Why would I need new motor mounts?

And just a couple pics to finish up with

I still have a lot I plan on doing. I have sourced normal seat belts for it, I want a rear strut brace, fender braces, the body work will be done eventually I have some good doors for the drivers side. I want to reupholster the drivers seat at the least. As far as engine drive train plans, I'm currently thinking a 6 speed, and building the spare 2.2t I have to DOHC, and many other goodies, but that will be a while off. I have some Old VW's that need to get sold off first.
    Long live the first gen!

1992 Legacy L
    1984 GL FWD wagon
    1986 EJ swapped Brat
    1991 Legacy turbo

"Proby"
    Level
    Level completed: 88%, Points required for next Level: 25
    Achievements:
    1000 Experience PointsO.G.

sweet car man! I love the 1st gen SS's they are rare gems now a days! Someday I hope to get my hands on one. You gotta love that cross country drive! I have done it twice in my life time.
    Chevyman

1993 Legacy FWD 4EAT "Daily"
    2006 Legacy Spec B "Project"

Level
    Level completed: 68%, Points required for next Level: 48
    Achievements:
    1000 Experience PointsVeteran

Looks amazing! Also, it's nice to see other first gens on here!
    1994 Subaru Legacy L

Level
    Level completed: 81%, Points required for next Level: 76
    Achievements:
    VeteranOverdrive10000 Experience Points

Lookin' real sharp on those Prodrives.
    2002 Outback H6 VDC "Blitzen 6"

Quote Originally Posted by Lancaster6
    A sherpa could rip ass somewhere high up in the Himalayas and my Prius will be blown almost off of the road.

Level
    Achievements:

Thanks guys! I can't wait to make some more progress on it once the snow/salt is gone. I'm going to be calling an upholstery shop soon, so hopefully I can get my front seats fixed before spring!
    Long live the first gen!

1992 Legacy L
    1984 GL FWD wagon
    1986 EJ swapped Brat
    1991 Legacy turbo

Level
    Achievements:

Took this out for the first drive of the year. I have some work to do. Over the winter the power steering fluid decided to leak out so looks like I need to replace the lines (they have been seeping for some time), and either replace or rebuild the rack. It leaks around where the steering u-joint is bolted on. I also was able to check the check engine light after sitting all winter without a battery in it. There was no longer 10 codes stored in it. Looks like the only one I have so far is code 35. Looks like I get to change the purge valve. Hopefully I have one around here.
    Long live the first gen!

1992 Legacy L
    1984 GL FWD wagon
    1986 EJ swapped Brat
    1991 Legacy turbo

Level
    Achievements:

Dove into some projects today. it started off with me wanting to clean the carpets, and ended up with me pulling the headliner out and starting in on the manual seat belt swap! The seat belt swap went well with the belts themselves. I didn't have the lower b pillar cover so I cut a small section of the US ones allowing the belts to move, I may have to notch them a bit more when the time comes. I have the upper trim for the a pillar. I'm going to modify my headliner (basically add some to the edges), and recover it to make everything appear stock instead of cutting the auto belts up and using the stock a pillar trim. Next weekend I need to pull the sunroof and see if I can reseal that to keep me from getting soaked every time it rains. I took a brief look at the sunroof after the headliner had come out. The drain tubes have shrunk to the point of almost not being attached in the front. It looks like a leak could be there for sure... and more in the other typical places.

Drivers side in place

The dreaded headliner gap

The notch I cut in the lower trim.

Headliner out

Ceaned the carpet, they still dont look great, but I'm working on it.

passenger side, upper trim not installed yet

sunroof drain falling off
    Long live the first gen!

1992 Legacy L
    1984 GL FWD wagon
    1986 EJ swapped Brat
    1991 Legacy turbo

Level
    Achievements:

Re: 1982gl4's 1991 Legacy Sports Sedan :Manual seat belts

Yesterday it was raining all day so I didn't take the sunroof out of this and worked on my datsun down at work instead. Today however it wasn't raining (as bad anyway) I was able to pull the sunroof assembly with the help of my dad. Took it all apart cleaned it up and sealed it. Hopefully no more leaks! I also blew out the drains, and ziptied them back on so they wont fall off. It had been resealed at one point on the drivers side. It looks like whoever did it, did it from inside of the car just on the drivers side (so not very well). The wind deflector was also removed and the nuts were never put back on causing the rails to be loose and probably to leak as well. Unfortunately my parts car was also missing the deflector so I just put some nuts back on and called it a day. My power steering parts also came in this week so I will fix that soon. Next weekend is modify and install headliner! Only one pic for today. Apart on the kitchen table.

Long live the first gen!

1992 Legacy L
    1984 GL FWD wagon
    1986 EJ swapped Brat
    1991 Legacy turbo

Level
    Level completed: 28%, Points required for next Level: 218
    Achievements:
    5000 Experience PointsO.G.

holy cr** i love it !! looks a bit like i want mine to be and yours has about 100% more EJ22T than mine :P
    1992 Legacy GL EJ20 BC5
    1994 Legacy GX EJ22 BF5

Level
    Achievements:

Thanks man! I love the 22t!
    Headliner is done! Thanks to a friend that came over. Started by putting the headliner back in the car, and then cutting both front outer edges. From the B pillar back there is no need to change it as the trim all fits from there back. I then cut new cardboard to go in the place of the stuff I had just cut out, and used foil tape to hold it all together (I saw someone on another forum using it to repair dents he had in a headliner before he recovered it. The tape seamed like it would work great for this as it holds some shape as well.) After the taping was done, it was pulled back out and taped on the back side, and the edges. Then it was on to recovering. I picked up some gray suede at JoAnn Fabric. Recovering was easy as I have done that a few times now, and then we installed it. Up next I had to trim the old felt seals for the auto belts so the new seat belt trim would clear and sit flush. After that everything matched right up. I just have to deal with my seat belt light now.

Foiled up

Glued but not cut

Installed

No more gap!

Where I trimmed the seal, Can't even tell on the driver's side. May have to cut the passenger side again.

Long live the first gen!

1992 Legacy L
    1984 GL FWD wagon
    1986 EJ swapped Brat
    1991 Legacy turbo

Level
    Achievements:

Re: 1982gl4's 1991 Legacy Sports Sedan Custom headliner

Drove this to work today, and tonight I pulled the power steering rack out and started on the rebuild. Tomorrow I need to dig into the pinion housing, and fix the leak there. Hopefully it will be all set after this and no more leaks! I also purchased new power steering lines as mine are leaking a lot...
    Long live the first gen!

1992 Legacy L
    1984 GL FWD wagon
    1986 EJ swapped Brat
    1991 Legacy turbo

Level
    Level completed: 38%, Points required for next Level: 251
    Achievements:
    O.G.10000 Experience PointsRecommendation Second Class

Re: 1982gl4's 1991 Legacy Sports Sedan rack rebuild

Wow, what a cool build, so glad to see someone take their time to do things properly on an ol BC! Much respect.

Level
    Achievements:

Thanks Reuben, I can say the same about your black sedan!

I put my rack back together today. I ran into one problem, where one of the new seals for the pinion housing tore as I was sliding parts together. Luckily I had another rack at home out of a forester that I took some parts from to complete this one. It's all back together and not leaking anymore (from the rack anyway..) New power steering lines went in, and I did a four wheel alignment after I put the rack back in. I was surprised to see the rear out as I just did it when I put my sway bars on last year.

I'm glad we have a press at work. In order to change the lower seals in the pinion housing the bearing needs to be pressed off.

Up next I'll be looking for a 6 speed hopefully, and I also found another oil line leaking today on the passenger's side head just above the up pipe so that is going to be changed this week after I call the subaru dealership!
    Long live the first gen!

1992 Legacy L
    1984 GL FWD wagon
    1986 EJ swapped Brat
    1991 Legacy turbo

Level
    Achievements:

Today was a pretty productive day. After I rebuilt the entire exhaust on my jetta, I got to work on this some. Replaced, and relocated the purge valve. One of the several old 2.2's I had around donated one, it was slightly different from the turbo, as it didn't have a pig tail, but still plugged in just fine and it works. My parts car had one relocated as well, but i tested in and it didn't work. So far no check engine light. I also disconnected the seatbelt light due to the manual belt conversion it never stopped blinking, it was super annoying at night. So nice not to have lights on everywhere!

In it's new location

Just a nice pic from the drive home
    Long live the first gen!

1992 Legacy L
    1984 GL FWD wagon
    1986 EJ swapped Brat
    1991 Legacy turbo

Level
    Achievements:

Replaced my rear cv boots tonight. That went pretty easy. Good thing I did them, I lost 2 more in as many weeks driving it sparingly. I guess they just gave up. I love rust free cars, both my rear trailing arm bolts came right out. I made sure to antiseize them before they went back in as well. I also replaced my diff hanger bushings. Noticed a bit more noise and vibrations at lower rpm's under load in 2nd and 3rd, but there's no more banging which is great. And then on a bad note, on my way home my abs module decided it had enough, and dumped brake fluid all over the engine bay. Time to put the abs delete in that i have had kicking around for the better part of the year. More to come this weekend!

Long live the first gen!

1992 Legacy L
    1984 GL FWD wagon
    1986 EJ swapped Brat
    1991 Legacy turbo

Level
    Level completed: 38%, Points required for next Level: 251
    Achievements:
    O.G.10000 Experience PointsRecommendation Second Class

Ah shit, gutted about the brake fluid in the engine bay! I hope you managed to get it off in time

Crazy to see you rebuild the rack too, something we don't bother with down here. Would be a skill I'd love to learn, so we can keep those RS quick racks that are getting on now (2.75 turns lock to lock).

Level
    Achievements:

I washed it off as soon as I got home no real damage done, the paint bubbled in one small spot, but i'm not worried about it. I don't typically rebuild racks either. I always just replace them at the shop I work at. But this one was in such good shape I figured I would give it a go. Usually all the cars we deal with up here are very rusty and the lines don't come out. I had no surprises rebuilding this one. It's pretty strait forward, you only need a press to get the bearing off the input shaft. There's a great write up over on legacy bbs about rebuilding it that I followed. I have the part numbers for the seal kits, although I'm not sure if they would be the same for the RHD cars.

The progress from yesterday/today. Started off by pulling the two front lines and mastercylider out of one of my parts cars. I didn't realize the master was different. Thinking about it, it is obvious that they would be.

Someone put drilled and slotted rotors on the old girl. The car looks rustier than it is. It was from colorado and the lines were all in great shape. The car is just rusty in the typical rear quarter spots. The interior is trashed, and it needs an engine. Best for parts at this point.

All the parts. Lines to the proportioning valve, and the valve itself are from a second gen brighton wagon. They only issue I had was the lines to the rear were just slightly short for the valve. I just had to bend them a bit to get them to reach.

My bay empty of all the brake parts, had to pull the booster off because the lines are routed behind it.

Both first gens in the shop at the same time. I found a bad pin the peddle assembly so i swapped it out with on in the black car.

I had a friend come over and help bleed the brakes. Took a while to get all the air out of it. On my test drive one of the vacuum lines came off the boost controller, this was a very bad thing to have happen, as this car is a lot more fun with 13 psi. Time to spend some more money on mods.

Now I have more room for fmic piping.
    Long live the first gen!

1992 Legacy L
    1984 GL FWD wagon
    1986 EJ swapped Brat
    1991 Legacy turbo

Level
    Achievements:

Re: 1982gl4's 1991 Legacy Sports Sedan ABS Delete

Ordered a 6 speed drive train swap. It should be here next week. Also contacted Dccdpro, and started to figure out what I'm going to get there. Also ordered a new sti shift knob, and sti trim ring! Looking forward to getting everything together!
    Long live the first gen!

1992 Legacy L
    1984 GL FWD wagon
    1986 EJ swapped Brat
    1991 Legacy turbo

Level
    Achievements:

Re: 1982gl4's 1991 Legacy Sports Sedan 6 speed on the way

Got a small package today.

I was psyched to see that it came with a kartboy short throw, and a positive shift kit. I also ordered the dccd switches tonight, and got a new hydraulic clutch hose, and a couple bushings that it was missing/ I wanted to replace while I had it out and apart. More too come soon....
    Long live the first gen!

1992 Legacy L
    1984 GL FWD wagon
    1986 EJ swapped Brat
    1991 Legacy turbo

Level
    Achievements:

Just ordered some rally spec rear rotors, so I can run the Sti rear knuckles, and retain my rear calipers. Custom shift boot has been ordered. All I have left is the DCCD pro, and then we are ready for some wrench time.
    Long live the first gen!

1992 Legacy L
    1984 GL FWD wagon
    1986 EJ swapped Brat
    1991 Legacy turbo

Level
    Achievements:

Some more parts came in today thanks to a friend that works at a Subaru dealer. I have the screws to go with the trim, I just didn't feel like unwrapping them.

Long live the first gen!

1992 Legacy L
    1984 GL FWD wagon
    1986 EJ swapped Brat
    1991 Legacy turbo

Level
    Level completed: 57%, Points required for next Level: 87
    Achievements:
    O.G.5000 Experience Points

Can I bring you my '91 wagon that needs a rear crossmember?
    Legacys are like potato chips-You can't stop at just one!

Level
    Achievements:

I just replaced one in a very rust impreza last week, but that was at work. I have pretty limited free time with all the projects I have going on. The 6 speed is in and I have driven it a few times. So far I love it, just need to get the dccdpro. I got my shift boot in today. I got to install it along with the trim ring, and bolts. Redline makes a great product, I'm very pleased with how it looks, and how it fits. Modifying the center console was as simple as trimming some plastic, and making some mounting tabs. Also ordered the exhaust hanger. it should be tomorrow and then I can put that on. All I have left after that is the DCCD.

Long live the first gen!

1992 Legacy L
    1984 GL FWD wagon
    1986 EJ swapped Brat
    1991 Legacy turbo

t3h ub3r m3mber nikolaus.conrad's Avatar
    Level
    Level completed: 19%, Points required for next Level: 324
    Achievements:
    5000 Experience PointsO.G.Social

Re: 1982gl4's 1991 Legacy Sports Sedan 6 speed installed

I like this project a lot! Kudos to keeping another first gen turbo on the road
    -Nick
    1991 Subaru Legacy L -221K -Killed in action
    1996 Subaru Legacy L -192K -Rust in Peace
    1996 Subaru Outback -214K -Drove into ground
    1999 Subaru Outback Limited -195K -Kiara. EJ22D. 5 speed swapped dual sunroof BG
    1990 Volvo 240 sedan -220K -B230F. M47. I Drift Bro.
    1964 Triumph Spitfire 4 Mark 1 -47K -First Love. Continuous Project. #BeingTopless 50whp of British fury!
    Quote Originally Posted by Thomistopheles
    The EJ25D likes to blow its head gaskets in a spectacular manner, leaking combustion gasses into places it's not supposed to go; giving you the world's worst tasting milkshake.

"FNG"
    Level
    Level completed: 64%, Points required for next Level: 72
    Achievements:
    O.G.5000 Experience Points

This looks awesome! Keep the first gens rolling!
    James

2002 LGT
    1992 2.2T

Level
    Level completed: 79%, Points required for next Level: 43
    Achievements:
    Tagger Second ClassSocial5000 Experience PointsO.G.

That install is so clean... if this car goes missing. I swear it wasn't mean... this is a really nice pre facelift 1st gen. Cant wait to see what else you have planned.
    1998 Subaru Legacy 2.5GT Sedan - Lucy

Level
    Achievements:

Thanks guys, still have a long way to go. Changed the oil, washed it, and topped off the tank tonight. Getting ready for winter storage I may still drive it some more, but snow is in the forecast. This car will never see salt. That means my 1992 winter wagon will be coming out tomorrow!
    Long live the first gen!

1992 Legacy L
    1984 GL FWD wagon
    1986 EJ swapped Brat
    1991 Legacy turbo

Level
    Achievements:

Dccdpro is ordered. Should be here in a couple of weeks. Now I just need to find time to install it.
    Long live the first gen!

1992 Legacy L
    1984 GL FWD wagon
    1986 EJ swapped Brat
    1991 Legacy turbo

Level
    Level completed: 68%, Points required for next Level: 325
    Achievements:
    O.G.Tagger Second ClassSocialOverdriveRecommendation Second Class
    Awards:
    Posting Award

It's nice to see someone take the time and effort to make this old girl new again. Kudos to you.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast