Thread: 92 Legacy AWD 4EAT won't shift to 3rd

New User
    Level
    Level completed: 64%, Points required for next Level: 18
    Achievements:
    3 months registered500 Experience Points

92 Legacy AWD 4EAT won't shift to 3rd

92 Legacy AWD 4EAT will not shift into 3rd, does go 1st gear to 2nd gear okay, dropped the pan, magnet has about a tablespoon amount of iron filings and no big chunks of metal. Shift solenoid connector with blue wire ohm tested over specs at 47 ohms. TCU error codes are 32 and 33. What should I do next to fix this? What parts do I need and where do you recommend I get them? Thanks.

Level
    Level completed: 68%, Points required for next Level: 48
    Achievements:
    1000 Experience PointsVeteran

Re: 92 Legacy AWD 4EAT won't shift to 3rd

Code 32: Vehicle Speed Sensor 1
    Code 33: Vehicle Speed Sensor 2

VSS1 is located in the rear tail section of the transmission to monitor the speed of the rear drive line to detect wheel slip and adjust the amount of power going to the rear wheels.

VSS2 or the speed sensor in the gauge cluster is the speed sensor that the ECU & TCU monitor for the vehicle's "primary" speed.
    1994 Subaru Legacy L

Level
    Level completed: 68%, Points required for next Level: 48
    Achievements:
    1000 Experience PointsVeteran

Re: 92 Legacy AWD 4EAT won't shift to 3rd

The VSS1 goes in the transmission the part number is 31937AA040. I can't find it anywhere but on here: http://subarupartshouse.com/ Enter your Zip Code and select the nearest dealership to you, then search the part #31937AA040, MSRP should be $79.68, the dealer prices vary. You could possibly just go to the dealer and have them order it for you. Also, you may find them for less on the forums or at a junk yard.

This is what it looks like on the transmission:

The VSS2 is built into the actual Gauge Cluster, so you will need a new cluster.
    I found one on eBay for $35 here: http://www.ebay.com/itm/93-94-SUBARU-LE ... 98&vxp=mtr You may find them for less on the forums or at a junk yard.

You may want to start with replacing the actual Speedometer cable though, I've read about lots of funny issues when those start to go on the first gens. It can sometimes trip Codes 32 and 33. The cable plugs into the back of the Gauge Cluster and plugs into the sensor like in the picture above. You can get one from here: https://www.subarugenuineparts.com/oe_parts_cat.html Just put in Subaru 1992 Legacy and then type Speedometer under keyword search, get the one for the Auto Trans it's $24. It maybe best to call just to make sure you order the right part.
    1994 Subaru Legacy L