Thread: Bg wagon with wrx rear seat DIY

Level
    Level completed: 47%, Points required for next Level: 107
    Achievements:
    Created Blog entryO.G.5000 Experience PointsTagger Second Class
    Awards:
    King of Publishing

Bg wagon with wrx rear seat DIY

Ok, so I thought this was just a unicorn, I have heard of only 2 people who did this but alas, no photos I have been rocking the fronts since shortly after buying the car, I found a smoking deal on the rears about a year ago. I immediately gave up on the lower folding idea as the seat pan is completely different. I could have paid to have an apholstry shop do the bottom, but it wasn't cost effective to keep a seldom used feature, full fold flat seats. We'll since stripping ruby down for paint, I finally tackled the upper seat portion. The best part, it was MINIMAL fabrication. Tools needed. 10mm & 12mm sockets and extensions. Trim clip tool. Dril with a uni-bit Pliers. Grinder and or cutoff wheel. Sharp razor blade, shouldered bolt, flat washers and a collared nut.

So hear goes. I will add the finished photos after i get get them off my phone. I will add the parts photos when I pull the seats back out on Sunday.

Step one. Remove your rear seat completely top and bottom.

Now, remove all the brackets from your legacy seat upper, set them aside. Feel free to dispose of or sell with your fronts.

Take your wrx upper seats, you will need to unhook the fabric from the bottom. Remove all brackets from the seats. At this point you will also want to take a pair of pliers and remove the roll pins from the seat outside pivots. Don't loose the plastic covers.

Now, you will need to remove the inner quarter trim from both sides of the car. Remove the seat catches. Take the left side over to the right. Flip it upside down, and bolt in using the lower bolt hole. Repeat for the other side.

Now, take the left side hinge from the legacy, grind out the hinge rivet and separate the upper and lower hinge. Take the lower hinge and compare it to the right side hinge. Using the unibit, enlarge the hole to the same size. Now bolt the outside brackets down where they go.

Now. Take both center hinges, note how they mount in the car. Grind out both sets of rivets. Separating the otters from the lowers. Now for the fun part, take the outside brackets for the wrx. Set them against the opposite bracket for the legacy. The arm that locks into the lower bracket on the wrx needs the same contour. Scribe and cut. Just match up the holes and mark your line.

Now Take your fresh cut Rex brackets, re using the plastic washers and re assemble using your shouldered bolt and nut. Bolt the center bracket you just made in your car. Moment of truth. Slide the left side seat outside pin into the outside bracket. Be sure to use the plastic cover. Slide the inside under the center bracket from the flat position. Line up the holes and install/tighten the bolts. At this point, flip your seat upper into the up position. It should latch!

Repeat for the short side. You now have fully operational upper split seats! Now, stuff your seat belts through the lower cushion holes, throw your ass into it and cram the seat under the backing. You may want to use a large washer as the bolts are a little small for the lower cushion hooks.

Now the pain. Line up your quarter trim. Cut a small slit to get the latch arm through. Then trim to fit. Repeat for both sides. Put her all back together and you are baller status.

The only thing I left out because I haven't done it yet, is drilling the second hole for the strikers.

Enjoy your fully matching seats.
    Ruby 2.0 1999 Legacy Outback LTD: Getting Ruby 1.5's drive train.
    Ruby, 1998 Legacy Outback: officially a turbo car. Wounded, but being brought back.
    Courtney, 1997 Legacy Outback: DD and off road fun. Going to my sister for a reliable beast.
    Green Machine, 1998 Legacy L wagon: Only one I could not save... She is giving life to others.
    Sapphie, 1962 Nova: Going to be my Daughters sweet ride.

Level
    Achievements:
    Awards:
    King of Publishing

Re: Bg wagon with wrx rear seat DIY

Pix

Ruby, 1998 Legacy Outback: officially a turbo car. Wounded, but being brought back.
    Courtney, 1997 Legacy Outback: DD and off road fun. Going to my sister for a reliable beast.
    Green Machine, 1998 Legacy L wagon: Only one I could not save... She is giving life to others.

"FNG"
    Level
    Level completed: 69%, Points required for next Level: 47
    Achievements:
    1000 Experience PointsVeteran

That looks great! good write up as well
    Sloanaconda
    Todd Sloan
    1998 Subaru Legacy Outback

Level
    Achievements:
    Awards:
    King of Publishing

Thanks. I will get more detailed pix when I pull the seats back out this weekend and get the interior buttoned back up. I couldn't find a single picture of anyone having done it.

"FNG"
    Level
    Level completed: 86%, Points required for next Level: 21
    Achievements:
    1000 Experience PointsVeteran

Thanks for the write up, I've been interested in doing this in my car.

New User
    Level
    Level completed: 16%, Points required for next Level: 42
    Achievements:
    3 months registered250 Experience Points
    Perfect!