Quote Originally Posted by amgarrety
Quote Originally Posted by YamazakiSubaru
...taking it to the dealer and getting charged a Spanish galleon full of gold doubloons every time I retrofit an option on the car...
Sounds about right. Do you have to take it to the dealer to get the electronic options enabled? I could see why the would charge an arm and a leg. Those would've been options you had to pay quite a bit for when buying it new, and the software to do it yourself isn't easy to get.
No. Used to be back in the day if the vehicle was not equipped with HIDs. To put in HID's in you had to have the dealer with the STAR tool to enable the setting in the software. Now you don't have to anymore just get a CAN-BUS HID kit. Same as for LED's they need to be CAN-BUS.

2005 the Tele-Aid was switched to digital from analog. For me and other owners have (2) options is to do the upgrade for $2,500 or get lucky and have it turned off from using the STAR tool. For me I did not get so lucky so I have ignore the error message since day 1.

I have owned my 2004 Mercedes CLK500 for 6+ years now.

YamazakiSubaru
I have a mechanic in G'burg that does all my general maintenance on all my vehicles incld the Mercedes. For any major work I have a guy that I know is a mechanic for Euro Motor Cars in Germantown. That does it on the side at his house in Frederick. I would be concern with the transmission that was the first year that they came out with the 6 gear. I know people were having issue on the 2005 model.