Thread: EJ22T Recommendations

BWagon_X

EJ22T Recommendations

So I recently Acquired a closed deck block EJ22t and was planning to do a complete engine overhaul rebuild everything and make everything to good working order (or better if budget is willing). I was wondering what types of things are recommended for the overhaul

brand of rebuild kit
    Type of heads (SOHC, DOHC)
    Intake
    Wiring harness
    etc.

any and all advice is appreciated.

Thanks

Level
    Level completed: 68%, Points required for next Level: 48
    Achievements:
    1000 Experience PointsVeteran

Re: EJ22T Recommendations

Timing Belt Kit: Gates TCK172
    Timing Belt Tensioner: Gates T43204
    Water Pump: Gates 42336
    Head Gaskets: OEM 11044AA282
    Intake Manifold Gaskets: Grimspeed 030001
    Valve Cover Gaskets: Fel-Pro VS50395R
    Air Conditioning and Idler Drive Belt: Gates K040350
    Alternator and Power Steering Drive Belt: Gates K050345
    Spark Plugs: NGK IX Iridium 3764
    Spark Plug Wires: Bosch 09067
    Air Filter: Denso 143-2057 or K&N 33-2232
    PCV Valve: Purolator PV1019
    Also replace any cracked or wore Vacuum Hoses with OEM ones.
    1994 Subaru Legacy L

BWagon_X

Awesome thanks, sites you recommend I fine these?

As well the engine has 323,000km on it should I look into new forged pistions, connecting rods, cams, crank, sleeves and such cuz when its done im looking for 600hp at the crank. When I mean overhaul I mean go threw and make it brand spanking new.

Level
    Level completed: 82%, Points required for next Level: 37
    Achievements:
    1000 Experience PointsOverdriveVeteran

What year car is this going into? That will play a role into what head choice I would recommend. If it's a phase 1 car I'd go for one of the dohc phase 1 head variants. Phase 2 I'd go for a set of wrx ej205 heads.

600 crank hp is a pretty lofty goal, hope you have deep pockets.
    My 1997 Legacy L

Fuelly

Level
    Level completed: 62%, Points required for next Level: 383
    Achievements:
    10000 Experience PointsO.G.SocialOverdrive

Quote Originally Posted by 86bratman
    hope you have deep pockets.
    REALLY deep pockets...

I am curious.. WHY do you want 600 crank horsepower? What made you choose a 20+ year old engine as the platform for such a high power goal?

BWagon_X

The this wont be im spending everything at once kinda several year project but its going into a 97 wagon to begin with.

But the reason this engine is because it has a closed deck.

And to everyone whos going to say why dont you just buy a Sti, I say because you easier to insure a stationwagon, and I like sleepers.

My inspiration comes from Granny and that build minus the stripped interior and v-mount.

BWagon_X

And im not shooting for 600hp off the bat.

Probably going to start with 300 and see where that get me.
    So like gtb fast out of a brighton

Level
    Level completed: 62%, Points required for next Level: 383
    Achievements:
    10000 Experience PointsO.G.SocialOverdrive

Oh, don't get me wrong.. I am all for sleeper wagons.. but I was curious why you were shooting for such a lofty goal.

"FNG"
    Level
    Level completed: 60%, Points required for next Level: 80
    Achievements:
    O.G.5000 Experience Points

Quote Originally Posted by rkrenicki
    Oh, don't get me wrong.. I am all for sleeper wagons.. but I was curious why you were shooting for such a lofty goal.
    Because race car lol

I am conducting a similar build. Set your goals a little lower say 400 hp/ lbft and you will still be very happy.
    You can put all forged components in your block with ej25d heads and be able to make that power all day. You need to decide whether you are going to go piggy back or standalone engine management right off the bat, this will determine a lot of your choices.

For your 600 hp goal I would sleeve and bore your block to a 2.5 litre with sti nitrided crank, pistons, rods. Once again all forged and aftermarket for the rods and pistons (rods and pistons that were designed to be used together). This also means you will need your block machined for #5 thrust bearing position.
    A large name brand turbo will be necessary. If sticking with the 25d heads plan on extensive head work, aftermarket cams, valves, springs etc. Cam regrinds wont be an option because stock cam metals wont be able to stand up to the higher spring rates that are necessary to keep the valves closed under that amount of pressure.

Also keep in mind at either power level you will need to upgrade to a built tranny or Sti 6 speed. Even at 600 hp your pushing the limits of the 6 speed depending on your driving habbits.

Good luck and welcome to the addiction.
    95 Leggy Ls 2.35T...work in progress (R.I.P)
    99 Leggy Gt... Picking up where we left off

BWagon_X

Quote Originally Posted by rhino2215
    Quote Originally Posted by rkrenicki
    Because race car lol

Good luck and welcome to the addiction.
    Exactly because why not, someone who understands overkill is underrated

And it is an addiction!

BWagon_X

Quote Originally Posted by rhino2215

I am conducting a similar build. Set your goals a little lower say 400 hp/ lbft and you will still be very happy.
    You can put all forged components in your block with ej25d heads and be able to make that power all day. You need to decide whether you are going to go piggy back or standalone engine management right off the bat, this will determine a lot of your choices.

For your 600 hp goal I would sleeve and bore your block to a 2.5 litre with sti nitrided crank, pistons, rods. Once again all forged and aftermarket for the rods and pistons (rods and pistons that were designed to be used together). This also means you will need your block machined for #5 thrust bearing position.
    A large name brand turbo will be necessary. If sticking with the 25d heads plan on extensive head work, aftermarket cams, valves, springs etc. Cam regrinds wont be an option because stock cam metals wont be able to stand up to the higher spring rates that are necessary to keep the valves closed under that amount of pressure.

Also keep in mind at either power level you will need to upgrade to a built tranny or Sti 6 speed. Even at 600 hp your pushing the limits of the 6 speed depending on your driving habbits.
    And thank you this was helpful

BWagon_X

The more I think about the more 600 does sound excessive ill probably go to 300 and build untill im happy...on this never-ending struggle for speed.

Level
    Level completed: 68%, Points required for next Level: 48
    Achievements:
    1000 Experience PointsVeteran

Quote Originally Posted by BWagon_X
    Awesome thanks, sites you recommend I fine these?

As well the engine has 323,000km on it should I look into new forged pistions, connecting rods, cams, crank, sleeves and such cuz when its done im looking for 600hp at the crank. When I mean overhaul I mean go threw and make it brand spanking new.
    Look on eBay, Amazon, here, Nasioc Fourms, Legacy Central fourms, etc. Shop around on the internet. A lot of people stick various branded light weight pulleys (Perrin, Grimspeed, OBX, etc.), Delta 220 Cams, Wiseco Pistons and Eagle Rods in the EJ22Ts. Also, Tomei makes crank shafts for the motor as well, but they are really expensive.

If your looking for more info, this site: http://legacycentral.org/ is geared toward first gen Legacies and has lots of useful information on the EJ22Ts.
    1994 Subaru Legacy L