Thread: EJ25D/EJ22E 2.35L Stroker Build

Level
    Level completed: 59%, Points required for next Level: 62
    Achievements:
    1000 Experience PointsVeteran

EJ25D/EJ22E 2.35L Stroker Build

Hello SL-i, not many of you know me because I don't post as much on the forum as I do on FaceBook. Name's Alex, and I've got a 98 BD GT that I've blown up way too many times, I think it's time for my engine build to start.

So I've started an engine build that I thought I would share with all of you, right now I'm just figuring out what I would need to make it happen. With the help of Ken, or EJ22D I've came up with most of the things that I'll need for the build, let me know how this looks.

Mildly Ported and Polished 98 EJ25D Heads with 30k on them(Already have them)
    Remanned 99 EJ22E Block Halves
    EJ257 Rebalanced Crank
    EJ257 Rods
    Wiesco -2mm Custom Pistons
    ACL Race Rod/Thrust/Crank Bearings
    Cometic 1.3mm 3-Layer Steel Head Gasket
    11mm Oil Pump
    Greddy EManage Ultimate
    550CC Injectors
    Walbro 255
    TD0518g
    Delta Cam regrind
    PPG Tranny

If you guys have any questions or helpful tips, or ways to get any of this for a reasonable price then comment away. I'm in the process of figuring out the cost of all this, then I should be able to start gathering parts.
    My greatest feat with my car is the constant willingness to keep it on the road for no apparent reward.
    98 BD 2.5GT EJ22DET(Aiming for the 300hp club!)
    89 S13 240SX KA24E(Blown)

Level
    Level completed: 11%, Points required for next Level: 358
    Achievements:
    O.G.10000 Experience Points

Re: EJ25D/EJ22E 2.35L Stroker Build

Turbo subframe
    Clutch kit that will be able to handle the torque/power

The setup is going to be costly. I'd say at least 1000 on the engine rebuild alone.
    Here is what you can do if you really want to save money. If your lucky, you will find a phase 2 ej22 and ej25 at your local junkyard (impreza/legacy/forester). You can take both of them apart and make your own setup. The N/A ej25 phase 2 crank is basically the same as the turbo ones. If theres a ej25d there, you might as well slap the heads there too. Keep in mind this is time consuming and labor intensive but can save you from buying different parts.

How did you keep blowing up your motor?

Level
    Achievements:

Dumb luck and not paying attention. If I used the 25D crank I could use the same rods, but they won't hold to the power that I'll be making. I know this is a time consuming build, it's going to take a lot of months waiting for parts/money haha. You're actually one of the people that got me interested in this, you swapped STi internals into your phase I/II 99 25D right?

Also by clutch kit do you just mean the actual clutch components or do you mean a better slave cylinder and lines? I was planning on going with at least a Stage 2 Exedy, maybe go up to 3 as I have more money/power. I was going to just do a custom up pipe so I didn't have to swap the subframe, are there any disadvantages to going custom?
    My greatest feat with my car is the constant willingness to keep it on the road for no apparent reward.

Level
    Achievements:

I meant time consuming to create your own mix at a junkyard. Well when I rebuilt my engine I found out that it has the phase 2 2.5 block (car is a 98 GT). So either the engine got replaced or it might of been one of the legacy that got it maybe early? Because AFAIK they came on the 99 2.5 legacy (phase 2 2.5 block but still using the phase 1 everything). I can't remember where I bought my sti rods/pistons. I got it for $200 shipped with probably less than 100 miles. Its a tuning shop, but when I remember I'll let you know.

Yeah like the actual clutch components. Make sure to replace the clutch fork for a newer one. I have ACT on mine. They have a heavier pressure plate so it will most likely crack your old fork just like what happened to mine. I'm also using a 05LGT slave cylinder which is slightly larger than the stock one and helps out on the clutch pedal feel.

Level
    Achievements:

Hmm, well if you remember it make sure to post it up or PM me. Cheap STi internals is exactly what I need right now haha. Thanks for all the tips, I appreciate it, I'll make sure to change the fork and slave cylinder...but I'm a very long way away from doing that right now, still need to actually build the block and hunt for parts.

Level
    Level completed: 47%, Points required for next Level: 107
    Achievements:
    Created Blog entryO.G.5000 Experience PointsTagger Second Class
    Awards:
    King of Publishing

Tip on the emanage. You will need the injection adapter module. You will get a cel for low inj voltage without it.

You will also want to either run a front mount setup or a 06rex/fxt inter cooler. There isn't enough room without hackery to clear an sti/wrx unit since the non turbo manifolds put the throttle body closer to the firewall.

Also you will want a different inter cooler y pipe as you will need to lengthen the coupler to the turbo.

Why are you wanting to regrind the cams? From all the research I have found, the ej25d cams are VERY turbo friendly.

Pop in on my build thread for lots of pix of my build. Really the only difference is I built an ej255d lol I used an 06 wrx bottom end. But the rest is all pretty similar and will give you a good idea of what you are looking at.
    Ruby 2.0 1999 Legacy Outback LTD: Getting Ruby 1.5's drive train.
    Ruby, 1998 Legacy Outback: officially a turbo car. Wounded, but being brought back.
    Courtney, 1997 Legacy Outback: DD and off road fun. Going to my sister for a reliable beast.
    Green Machine, 1998 Legacy L wagon: Only one I could not save... She is giving life to others.
    Sapphie, 1962 Nova: Going to be my Daughters sweet ride.

Level
    Achievements:

Quote Originally Posted by BDAlex95
    Hmm, well if you remember it make sure to post it up or PM me. Cheap STi internals is exactly what I need right now haha. Thanks for all the tips, I appreciate it, I'll make sure to change the fork and slave cylinder...but I'm a very long way away from doing that right now, still need to actually build the block and hunt for parts.

Finally remembered where I got the STI pistons/rods. Its crawford performance. They had a deal back then ($200) for the rods/pistons. Basically brand new since they take it out of new engine from subaru and put aftermarket ones on. Give them a call and ask if they still have it and make sure you tell them the correct piston sizes (A/B assuming the block is ok and must be a 2.5 phase II block unless you want to pay to have the phase I machined)

Level
    Achievements:
    Quote Originally Posted by r3v_v3ng3 View Post
    Finally remembered where I got the STI pistons/rods. Its crawford performance. They had a deal back then ($200) for the rods/pistons. Basically brand new since they take it out of new engine from subaru and put aftermarket ones on. Give them a call and ask if they still have it and make sure you tell them the correct piston sizes (A/B assuming the block is ok and must be a 2.5 phase II block unless you want to pay to have the phase I machined)
    Sorry for the late reply. The only STI parts I would need are the crank and the rods, the pistons wouldn't match since I'm using a 2.2 bottom end. The whole plan was to do what Oc7ane did and use a EJ22T machined for 5th thrust bearing with EJ25D heads and some big turbo since the stroker set up will spool it up quicker.