Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: DIY: Installing MSD Coil 8239 MY96 2.5GT

SLi nOOb
    Level
    Level completed: 6%, Points required for next Level: 188
    Achievements:
    5000 Experience PointsO.G.

DIY: Installing MSD Coil 8239 MY96 2.5GT

So today I decided to install the MSD 8239 Coil pack on to my Phase 1 EJ25D.

I took some pictures and I followed liquidracing's method so I'm going to copy it from the huge MSD thread and post it here.

so, i was going to go with all MSD, and i will. for now though, i opted for a nice little neon coil. picked it up for 40 bucks with a connector. here is the low-down on the neon "upgrade"(three pin ONLY, haven't done foot work on four pin yet) Rolling Eyes

1)if you look at the two coils side-by-side, arranged with the connector to the left(just like if it were in the car, you at the front, looking at it, facing towrds the firewall), you will see the two "bumps" on the coil pack laying horizontally, with spark plug ports out either side. these are the individual "coils". there is a port in the middle on the left side, with 3 pins in it.

2)with these factors still inplace, walk around to the passenger-side of the car, staying at the front quarter-panel(driver's side for you east pond drivers). look at the connector port on the coil. you will see three pins. from RIGHT to LEFT, they are numbered 1, 2, 3, respectively, although there is no formal inscription of any kind on the connector, or port.

3)cut the connecter off your car between the snap and the coil pack, prefferably closer to the pack as i want you to throw it away when your done. Shocked remove coil and connector from your car.

4)take said connecter that you just cut, and lay it down next to the neon connecter. throw away the coil you cut the connector off, it's pretty much just a paperweight now. Cool

ready for the fun part? Very Happy

5)the connector diagrams are the same, EXACTLY! wiring-wise anyway.
    yeah, it's that stupid simple!

6)looking at the pins, on the neon connector, they are read from LEFT to RIGHT:1, 2, and 3(the reason it's not the same as the port, is that it's a mirror image of the pins on the port)

7)looking at the pins on the subie connector, they are read from RIGHT to LEFT:1,2 and 3

8)pin 1 is for cyl numbers 1 and 2

9)pin 2 is "12v signal in"

10)pin 3 is for cyl numbers 3 and 4

11)literally take the neon connector and subie connector and connect the wires, number for number: 1 to 1, 2 to 2, 3 to 3. now you have a universal connector/adapter to use on your msd, accel, or neon coil, without killing the wiring on your car, although the subie coil has to give it's life for this connector. Very Happy

12)just plug into the neon coil and your off.

wow, this is sounding like a diy, but, is it? i mean, yes and no.
    Now on to the pictures, just follow the method quoted above completely and install with the MSD facing towards you so the harness port is facing the drivers side, which is opposite the way it is on phase 1's. I installed it facing the right way and the car just backfired when I turned it over. The bolts are M6 x 2". Also if you have a phase 1 block, you'll need later wires I believe from a phase 2 so I purchased NGK wires for a 1999 Legacy GT, they fit perfectly.

1997 Subaru Legacy 2.5GT 5MT

- Borla replica, custom 2.25" catback stromung track pipe 20" vibrant streetpower
    - MSD 8239 Coil Pack, NGK wires/plugs.
    - KYB AGX Whiteline Control springs
    - Whiteline adj anti-roll bars F/R

Level
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Achievements:
    25000 Experience PointsO.G.SocialOverdrive
    Nice... I might have to try this out myself. So your driving impressions?
    - Roger - Site Admin
    My signature is now a shout-out to the SLi veterans who keep this site flowing with good knowledge and informative opinion. You KNOW who you are, so keep it up!
    USDM 04 LL Bean H6 Wagon - TANK
    USDM 98 GT Wagon - Pandgrish - RIP; USDM 98 GT Sedan - 216k RIP; NZDM 99 GF8 - retired
    USDM 07 Honda Odyssey - Mrs Huffer;
    Live Like No One Else - Debt Free

SLi nOOb
    Level
    Achievements:
    Quote Originally Posted by Huffer
    Nice... I might have to try this out myself. So your driving impressions?
    Put this in today and had the tank topped off so I'll see what my MPG are over the next week or so.

Starting: Starts up about the same as before, perhaps a little quicker but it's more sure of itself and doesn't ramp up to 1500 rpm like it used to. Goes up to 1000 or so now.

Idling: Smooth, perhaps moreso than before, minimized hesitation I was having off idle sometimes.

Driving: Got my low end power back, I already have a lightweight flywheel so I have to rev more than a car with a stock flywheel when taking off from a stop. Driving around town @ 25MPH I BARELY have to have my foot even touching the pedal and the car maintains speed. Then I ever so slightly, like a few mm's move the pedal down and I pick up speed. Throttle response has improved quite a bit. Got more ooomph in 5th on the highway as well.

Power is smooth throughout the band and revs higher easier/smoother and pulls harder in the upper RPM's than before. It basically pulls harder everywhere in the powerband moreso now than with the stocker on there. My car is also smoother now, less vibration from the engine especially in the lower RPM range.

Sound: Exhaust is more prominent, I expected that because now I'm getting a cleaner more powerful combustion and you hear it in the exhaust. Sounds a little more beefy now like it's got something under the hood.

- Borla replica, custom 2.25" catback stromung track pipe 20" vibrant streetpower

SLi nOOb
    Level
    Level completed: 46%, Points required for next Level: 109
    Achievements:
    Cool. Its nice to have detailed pictures. Defiantly need to do this soon.
    1997 Subaru Legacy GT
    190k miles

SLi nOOb
    Level
    Achievements:
    Your welcome.

This is definitely an easy mod, the wiring is about as straightforward as it gets; I'm a beginner at wiring. It's very useful with stock subaru maps because they're on the rich side from the factory so I expect a rise in MPG from this.

Level
    Level completed: 44%, Points required for next Level: 281
    Achievements:
    10000 Experience PointsO.G.
    Is there a difference between the a stock neon coil and the fancy red MSD? Is one better than the other?

I figured from reading the giant thread that flat pins are better, so I would be getting the coil with flat pins regardless.

Here's the MSD I was lookin' at: http://www.shop.speedunlimited.com/Shop ... rid/126429

SLi nOOb
    Level
    Achievements:
    If I remember correctly the Neon coil is very close in power to the MSD, but the MSD is still more powerful.

PM Reason, he'll hook you up

Level
    Achievements:
    Thanks for the reply, I'll check with Reason, hopefully I have enough in the budget for this mod.

what do these things do???

SLi nOOb
    Level
    Achievements:
    Quote Originally Posted by Zues Marine
    what do these things do???
    Provide a more powerful spark in your ignition system which means more complete combustion which translates into more power and better MPG.

SLi nOOb
    Level
    Level completed: 31%, Points required for next Level: 139
    Achievements:
    Quote Originally Posted by anothernord
    Is there a difference between the a stock neon coil and the fancy red MSD? Is one better than the other?

I figured from reading the giant thread that flat pins are better, so I would be getting the coil with flat pins regardless.

Here's the MSD I was lookin' at: http://www.shop.speedunlimited.com/Shop ... rid/126429
    iirk, the msd is 40000v and the neon is 34-36000v.

SLi nOOb
    Level
    Achievements:
    winston, did you ever use your coupon to buy the large herb chicken mediterranean deLite pizza?

Nice job. me likey! and yes, i have verified, to myself, a mpg rating that is +3-5mpg average. this is over the course of 4 tanks of 87oct, from the same shell station(yeah i know bush owns stock in shell , but, it's GREAT gas!) no additives, except the seafoam i did two weeks ago(after tank#2) i think that actually netted the extra 1-2mpg overall, afterall.

2-3mpg for the msd
    1-2mpg for the seafoam

no matter. Winston856 FTW!

good job.

SLi nOOb
    Level
    Achievements:
    "I installed it facing the right way and the car just backfired when I turned it over"-winston856

oh, shyte! did i have pins 1 and 3 reversed? because mine faces to the passenger side. i'll have to review the topic. whoops?

SLi nOOb
    Level
    Achievements:
    Quote Originally Posted by liquidracing
    "I installed it facing the right way and the car just backfired when I turned it over"-winston856

oh, shyte! did i have pins 1 and 3 reversed? because mine faces to the passenger side. i'll have to review the topic. whoops?
    You might have, it's all buttoned up and working fine so I'm not gonna change it. However it would have been nice to install it the other way

"FNG"
    Level
    Level completed: 48%, Points required for next Level: 105
    Achievements:
    I just finished doing this to my 96' 2.2L. Well I stole the coil from the junkyard (yes yes, shame shame) and I got the plug wire ends free. But I accadently took the wrong connector, so I went back this morning and got the right one for 5 bucks. So total it cost me...well, 5 bucks.

As for the coil, I love it. It feals like I just added a bigger throttle bodie or sumpthin. :-)
    Northern california MILLWRIGHTS local 102
    91 black golf GT-I

New User
    Level
    Level completed: 56%, Points required for next Level: 88
    Achievements:

Re: Installed MSD Coil 8239 MY96 2.5GT (liquidracing method)

I just did this yesterday. Ended up being like $75 for the MSD pack and $2 for the connector at the junkyard. The bolts from the Neon worked fine to mount the MSD pack, but only one hole lined up. Going to get a metal plate and make an adapter soon.

This was a very easy mod, took me (with no real electrical experience) about 2 hours to do. I used a hacksaw to cut apart the old coil and take the connector off (mine was actually attached to the coil and not on a wire to it) so I could make an adapter and not actually cut the car's harness. Soldered everything together and made sure there was shrink wrap and electrical tape around all the bare wires, and it plugged in fine. I made the mistake of crossing wires 1 and 3, but just flipping the pack 180 degrees fixed that.

Now, hopefully this will fix my misfire issues , the coil is the only thing I haven't checked and/or replaced in the air/ignition system so far.

Level
    Achievements:
    O.G.SocialOverdrive50000 Experience Points

hmmm I'm wondering if maybe I wired up the coil wrong, maybe that's why I'm having engine knock.
    4Zero1 Motorsports

2010 BM GT
    1998 BD L EJ25/EJ22 High Compression
    1993 GSX-R 750 (version 2.0)
    1993 Suzuki GSX-R 750
    1998 BK L PARTED
    1991 Legacy SS SOLD
    1997 BD GT R.I.P. 12/24/06 Running Mean with 117 whp!
    1989 Honda CR-X A.K.A. "The Beast"
    1991 Suzuki GSX-R 750 R.I.P. 11/10/06

SLi Facebook
    4Zero1Motorsports Facebook

"No matter how much you've done, or how successful you've been, there's always more to do, always more to learn, and always more to achieve." - Barack Obama

New User
    Level
    Achievements:

Well, assuming you have the middle wire correct, there's really only 2 ways to wire it. One way won't work at all and one will be right.

Level
    Achievements:

Yea thats what I did. One way didn't work I switched 1 and 3 and it fired up. I was wondering since I have the coil on reverse would it mess with the firing order.
    4Zero1 Motorsports

2010 BM GT
    1993 Suzuki GSX-R 750
    1998 BK L PARTED
    1991 Legacy SS SOLD

SLi Facebook

"No matter how much you've done, or how successful you've been, there's always more to do, always more to learn, and always more to achieve." - Barack Obama

"FNG"
    Level
    Level completed: 48%, Points required for next Level: 105
    Achievements:

This will work on a 95 impreza 1.8 right. My friend just picked one up with a broken clutch fork for 800 bucks. Drove it home 70 miles. Its a project for sure tho.
    Northern california MILLWRIGHTS local 102
    91 black golf GT-I

New User
    Level
    Achievements:

Hmm, i have my coil on reverse to what everyone else has been doing and it's working fine...

I don't really think that would change anything in the order, one wire fires 1 and 2, and the other fires 3 and 4. if you mix up the wires and rotate the coil 180 degrees I don't think that would cause anything bad to happen. You could always redo the wiring and turn it back and see if that helps...

Level
    Achievements:

Quote Originally Posted by KnifeyMcShanker
    Hmm, i have my coil on reverse to what everyone else has been doing and it's working fine...

I don't really think that would change anything in the order, one wire fires 1 and 2, and the other fires 3 and 4. if you mix up the wires and rotate the coil 180 degrees I don't think that would cause anything bad to happen. You could always redo the wiring and turn it back and see if that helps...
    That would be a good idea, but it's too cold for that lol. The problem is recent, so I doubt it might be the problem, it was a thought.
    4Zero1 Motorsports

2010 BM GT
    1993 Suzuki GSX-R 750
    1998 BK L PARTED
    1991 Legacy SS SOLD

SLi Facebook

Level
    Achievements:

I wired my neon coil in reverse so the plug faces the passenger side; It worked perfectly the first time. I just switched the two outside wires. (Yellow to Black - Red to Green - Blue to Blue)

I will have to try it the other way and see if there is any difference.

Needs to update their Email!
    Level
    Level completed: 19%, Points required for next Level: 163
    Achievements:

Quote Originally Posted by winston856

So, does that black plug come with the pack?
    Is that the plug off a phase 2 like you stated above?
    Is that a plug for a neon that you spliced to work with the car's plug?

I think my distributor is going bad so I'm bumping this thread
    99 30th anniversary BD legacy 2.5GT (current) used JDM ej25 replaced at 135,814 mi.
    00 Impreza 2.5rs (RIP) sold as-is...
    89 Bronco II (Still running "knock on wood" for Off road) for where even my subie can't go

Level
    Level completed: 44%, Points required for next Level: 168
    Achievements:

double bump

love the diy but need some "for dummy's" questions answerd.

where does the coil go?

what does "neon" coil mean?

when doing this is it easy to change spark plugs at the same time?

please and thank you

:smt026

Level
    Level completed: 64%, Points required for next Level: 144
    Achievements:

Quote Originally Posted by iampetro
    double bump

love the diy but need some "for dummy's" questions answerd.

where does the coil go?

what does "neon" coil mean?

when doing this is it easy to change spark plugs at the same time?

please and thank you

:smt026
    1) right in the middle of the intake manfold where the stock one is
    2) the coil is designed for the dodge neon
    3)change the plugs on subarus is taking the washer bottle out and the intake box to get access to the plugs. its not hard just a different way to do it
    98 2.5gt
    MA.N/A 413

Level
    Achievements:

So after 6 months with the neon coil, I have noticed that the ECU seems to be adjusting to the increased fuel burn, and adding more fuel and thus I am getting slightly worse mileage. I wonder if there is any way to "tune" this correction out without a full blown EM.

Level
    Level completed: 31%, Points required for next Level: 279
    Achievements:

So after 6 months with the neon coil, I have noticed that the ECU seems to be adjusting to the increased fuel burn, and adding more fuel and thus I am getting slightly worse mileage. I wonder if there is any way to "tune" this correction out without a full blown EM.
    You can try a piggyback fuel controller like an S-AFC, though the ECU seems to learn around that too at times.
    - Jey
    1995 Legacy Wagon EJ257 turbo
    2011 Tribeca Limited EZ36

Level
    Achievements:

What about a RRFPR? Or is that only for forced induction?

Level
    Level completed: 31%, Points required for next Level: 279
    Achievements:

What about a RRFPR? Or is that only for forced induction?
    Indeed it is. As the name implies the Fuel Pressure Regulator increases fuel pressure as manifold pressure increases.
    - Jey
    1995 Legacy Wagon EJ257 turbo
    2011 Tribeca Limited EZ36

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast