View Poll Results: What motor?

Voters
6. You may not vote on this poll
  • JDM EJ20H single turbo

1 16.67%
  • USDM EJ20(5?) 04 WRX

5 83.33%

Thread: EJ20 or EJ20? What one to build?

Level
    Level completed: 68%, Points required for next Level: 325
    Achievements:
    O.G.Tagger Second ClassSocialOverdriveRecommendation Second Class
    Awards:
    Posting Award

EJ20 or EJ20? What one to build?

So I have been accumulating parts to turbo my BD9. I have my exhaust, crossmember, turbo, and all related parts to basically turbo my EJ25D. I know, it wont handle it but thought it would be a fun ending to a 300K 25D.

So here is my question...

I have the blown JDM EJ20H in my GT-B, with a spun bearing that will be pulled here soon. Built as a single turbo.

I also might be getting a USDM EJ205 (I think, I'll correct this if needed. Stock motor for 04 WRX) with a bad bottom end and bent valves.

My question is, what one would be better for building? I'm looking into forged pistons, rods, maybe even build a stroker and bump it up to a 2.2 or something.

Engine management is also part of the question. I would like to run it all on the USDM WRX ECU and just have it tuned. Would this work for the EJ20H or would I need to get a Vi-Pec system of something like it?

Ultimately, I want this motor to take what ever I toss at it, like 500hp type of stuff. Not that it will get that crazy, but I want it to handle it.

Now I dont want bias opinions for one over the other, but I do want valid and complete info. These are the only 2 motors available to me at this time so no other motors are an option so telling me to get an EJ20G or a EJ207 will not help me at all.

Thank for the help guys.

Level
    Level completed: 79%, Points required for next Level: 43
    Achievements:
    Tagger Second ClassSocial5000 Experience PointsO.G.

Re: EJ20 or EJ20? What one to build?

I say look into availability of parts... if something breaks i think it will be easier to gets parts for a USDM EJ than a JDM EJ since you remeber what happened with your Wagon. but that's just my 2 cents... i dont think so much as it will "handle" it will be the issue. More so things happen... things break... where can i get parts when they do... just my 2 cents but i could be totally wrong...
    1998 Subaru Legacy 2.5GT Sedan - Lucy

Level
    Level completed: 82%, Points required for next Level: 37
    Achievements:
    1000 Experience PointsOverdriveVeteran

The 20h can be made to run off the 205 ecu but it's a lot of bullshit to make it happen. I looked I to doing it for my high comp ej22d, and finally said forget it. We're talking about reindexing cam gears, throttle body adapter, and some other things I'm forgetting at the moment.

If you're wanting to go wrx ecu it'd be simpler to just use the heads and intake that go with it.
    My 1997 Legacy L

Fuelly

Level
    Level completed: 47%, Points required for next Level: 107
    Achievements:
    Created Blog entryO.G.5000 Experience PointsTagger Second Class
    Awards:
    King of Publishing

I would build the ej205 and be done with it. It is far newer, bigger rod journals. You want to run the phase2 ecu, so send your wrx heads out to be done. Then you have all later model mechanicals and the ability to tune with tactrix/accessport. You will have to do a harness merge. That is not a fun job, but honestly, it won't be THAT much worse then wiring in an emanage or other piggy back. I kick myself daily for not getting phase. 2 heads and ecu when I built my motor and looking back, after having my ej25d heads built, cost of the emanage, and all the headaches of trying to bolt turbo bits to my non turbo manifold, it would have been less and better to go that route in the beginning.

Just my 2c after a long long road to hybrid monster motor
    Ruby 2.0 1999 Legacy Outback LTD: Getting Ruby 1.5's drive train.
    Ruby, 1998 Legacy Outback: officially a turbo car. Wounded, but being brought back.
    Courtney, 1997 Legacy Outback: DD and off road fun. Going to my sister for a reliable beast.
    Green Machine, 1998 Legacy L wagon: Only one I could not save... She is giving life to others.
    Sapphie, 1962 Nova: Going to be my Daughters sweet ride.