Thread: EJ255/25D hybrid Help needed

Level
    Level completed: 47%, Points required for next Level: 107
    Achievements:
    Created Blog entryO.G.5000 Experience PointsTagger Second Class
    Awards:
    King of Publishing

EJ255/25D hybrid Help needed

Well apparently the message I posted earlier did not post?

Need some help from people who have Turbo'd their Phase 1 EJ25d's

Basically the biggest issues I am running into when trying to pipe everything is that it all wants to reside in the same location. IE where the turbo inlet goes. I am running 8mm Grimmspeed spacers, have cut off the Evap solinoid bracket from the intake and made room by moving fuel rails so I can run the under intake manifold.

I cannot for the life of me find a decent way to route the bypass valve into the intake tube. I am running an HKS BOV with the recirc fitting. I am unable to run it straight down as it goes right into the throttle linkage. On the other side of the intake you have the PCV valve, IAC body, Turbo inlet, The only viable option I can see would be to make my own turbo inlet and plumb accordingly. I want my engine bay to look as factory as possible to minimize headaches with the DMV on visual inspection, and I hate clutter. Hoses, wiring, things that look out of place.

I have currently used my valve cover breather tubes that came with the car and trimmed them to use the WRX intercooler pipe. I will be adding dual catch cans in the future for both the crank case and the valve cover breathers, routing cleaner air back into the intake track.

Any detailed photos of what you guys are running would be a huge help. Even when I was planning this out reading everything I could, I did not really find any good photos showing how everyone ran all their Vac lines and hose plumbing.

Here are some photos kinda showing what I have going on right now.

I am wondering since I will be tuning speed density in boost with Emanage, if I can just VTA and not have to worry about the extra headaches. I was also considering moving the IAC and making it remote, but this adds complexity and additional hose routing which makes more of what I am trying to remove. I have also considered just getting a 2.2 5speed ECU sans EGR and finding a later model JDM phase 1 intake designed for under the intake inlet tube. I am running out of time on getting my car running as I need to go through the trans/suspension on my daily driver and already have 2 Legacy wagons pulled apart at my shop.

Much thanks in advance!
    Ruby 2.0 1999 Legacy Outback LTD: Getting Ruby 1.5's drive train.
    Ruby, 1998 Legacy Outback: officially a turbo car. Wounded, but being brought back.
    Courtney, 1997 Legacy Outback: DD and off road fun. Going to my sister for a reliable beast.
    Green Machine, 1998 Legacy L wagon: Only one I could not save... She is giving life to others.
    Sapphie, 1962 Nova: Going to be my Daughters sweet ride.

Level
    Level completed: 82%, Points required for next Level: 37
    Achievements:
    1000 Experience PointsOverdriveVeteran

Re: EJ255/25D hybrid Help needed

Most people who do this run a 90 degree coupler off the turbo and run the intake track similar to how the ej22t cars are setup.

Honestly your best bet will probably be to find an ej20h/r/k intake manifold to run the under manifold inlet and get rid of the egr system entirely, but then you will have the problem of the bov hitting the iacv. I've managed to track down a 20h manifold, and v3/v4 STi intercooler and bpv for my upcoming turbo build.
    My 1997 Legacy L

Fuelly

Level
    Level completed: 47%, Points required for next Level: 107
    Achievements:
    Created Blog entryO.G.5000 Experience PointsTagger Second Class
    Awards:
    King of Publishing

I know lots of people run it that way, i originally planned on doing that as well, then saw a few builds where they went under mani. I just depowered my rack to dump the ps pump completely just so I could go this route without dealing with a rex ps pump or remote modding the existing. And i have since purchased a Perrin and stock turbo inlet, modded my fuel lines and purchased a wrx spt intake and maf. Since I have already thrown $500 bux and about 30 extra hours of time in this I would love to do it right. I think i will try rotating my bov 180 degrees and loop the line the opposite direction Also, i may be able to use the fxt/06 rex stock bypass i have if i get the 90 degree nipple. So again, if anyone has photos of their routing I would love to see!
    Ruby 2.0 1999 Legacy Outback LTD: Getting Ruby 1.5's drive train.
    Ruby, 1998 Legacy Outback: officially a turbo car. Wounded, but being brought back.
    Courtney, 1997 Legacy Outback: DD and off road fun. Going to my sister for a reliable beast.
    Green Machine, 1998 Legacy L wagon: Only one I could not save... She is giving life to others.
    Sapphie, 1962 Nova: Going to be my Daughters sweet ride.

Level
    Level completed: 82%, Points required for next Level: 37
    Achievements:
    1000 Experience PointsOverdriveVeteran

A little more research would have shown that the best inlet to use for a phase 1 dohc would have been one suited for an ej20k. There are several build threads on bbs.legacycentral.org but they can be hard to sift though to find the information you seek.
    My 1997 Legacy L

Fuelly

t3h ub3r m3mber lord flashheart's Avatar
    Level
    Level completed: 26%, Points required for next Level: 224
    Achievements:
    5000 Experience PointsO.G.
    It seems like I knew a guy with a stack of JDM manifolds, and power steering pumps and all kinds of stuff for turboing these animals and knows pretty much knows all about it because he did it in his car a several times with several engines... Damn what was his name. Lord something.. Fat-heart? Fleshlight? Something like that. Anyways I'm sure he would be willing to hook you up pretty fat.

On a serious note shoot me a text:
    801-200-7100 I'll see if I can help you out.
    No, no ,no I'm not insulting you, I'm describing you!