Thread: LHD driver door panel in RHD car

New User
    Level
    Level completed: 94%, Points required for next Level: 3
    Achievements:
    3 months registered500 Experience Points

LHD driver door panel in RHD car

So I have this awesome idea but I have no idea it it's going to work.. I want to put the interior door panel of a left hand drive gen one leggy waggy into my right hand drive car so I have all 4 window switches on both sides.. Does anyone know how much work this will be? I imagine there will be some wiring to do, but how much? Thanks guys

Level
    Level completed: 11%, Points required for next Level: 358
    Achievements:
    O.G.10000 Experience Points

Re: LHD driver door panel in RHD car

I guess you can just get a LHD driver door panel with the switch. As far as wiring, not sure. Youre gonna have to tap into the other switch to make the other side work (i'm guessing).

Level
    Level completed: 47%, Points required for next Level: 107
    Achievements:
    Created Blog entryO.G.5000 Experience PointsTagger Second Class
    Awards:
    King of Publishing

Re: LHD driver door panel in RHD car

you will basically need to build a sub harness that has all the additional wires for the other three switches and run them from the door into the main harness. quick review of the wiring diagram for the windows, looks like you will need to make a 14 wire harness to tie into the main body harness either in the (rhd drivers door) or in the main harness under the dash.

Way lots of work. If you undertake this, my suggestion would be to get a LHD drivers door wire harness, and the junction block from the door to the body, plus as much of the harness as you can get in the cabin.

Then you are pretty much looking at the two wire diagrams side by side, and determine where to splice your wires in. I remember when I converted my Civic to RHD, I spent a good week doing wiring every night after work for 3 or 4 hours to get the windows, mirrors, turn signals and rear wiper wired up correctly.

If you can read a wiring schematic, can use a soldering iron, and have a LOT of patience, it can be done.
    Ruby 2.0 1999 Legacy Outback LTD: Getting Ruby 1.5's drive train.
    Ruby, 1998 Legacy Outback: officially a turbo car. Wounded, but being brought back.
    Courtney, 1997 Legacy Outback: DD and off road fun. Going to my sister for a reliable beast.
    Green Machine, 1998 Legacy L wagon: Only one I could not save... She is giving life to others.
    Sapphie, 1962 Nova: Going to be my Daughters sweet ride.