Thread: Soda Blaster Highly Recommended

Level
    Level completed: 63%, Points required for next Level: 187
    Achievements:
    10000 Experience PointsO.G.

Soda Blaster Highly Recommended

This is a safe method to blast away contaminates on delicate parts. This method works great for engine and transmission components and is a safer option than any other media. Most, if not all other methods including sand, glass bead, walnut shell, aluminum oxide, have the potential to leave behind some grits of media. This means that the part must be thoroughly washed and cleaned of all debris after blasting, and that might not get every little grit. I’m using a 27 Gallon Craftsman Professional air compressor. WARNING: WHEN BLASTING ALWAYS USE A RESPIRATOR AND SAFETY GLASSES!

Soda blasting is a much better option. Any leftover media can easily be washed away and will not damage components if it’s left in the system since it easily dissolves in liquid. It’s delicate enough to allow the part to keep almost the same surface texture. I’ve also heard it’s safe for paint but don’t quote me on that.

You can buy kits from places like eastwood and harbor freight but they can be kind of pricey. After looking online I found a DIY to make your own soda blaster. I picked up all the parts and it’s very easy to make. I tried to blast a part I had laying around from my Model A and I must say, it did kind of remove a little corrosion but I wasn't too pleased with the results. Maybe I didn’t have the nozzle inserted enough, or maybe it was too close to the end of the tube, who knows. The link for the diy is below:
    http://caferacersunited.com/how-to-m...r-a-few-bucks/

I also saw a diy on youtube for cleaning an engine in the same way but using mineral spirits. Link is below:

Went to sears today to pick up a new socket wrench to have as a spare for when I break mine again. After browsing around the tools for a bit I found this kit for sandblasting. It was on sale for 50% off. It’s usually $30 but I got it for $15, same price as the diy kit (although $30 still isn't bad). It works in the same exact way as the diy blaster but I felt the setup was better.

I got out my Model A transmission which was conveniently covered in 85 years of rust, dirt, oil, grease, and everything else the truck encountered in its lifetime.
    Outside:

Inside:

I first tried the mineral spirits, it removed a little, and I mean a very little, bit of grime but I’m pretty sure it was the pressure and using only air would have had the same result.
    Outside:

Inside:

I then used the same exact setup for the soda and holy hell it worked amazing, I’m still blown away by the results. It blasted very similar to glass bead and removed the original paint. Once I was finished with the test areas I switched back to the mineral spirits to clean it all up and remove all the soda dust.
    Outside:

Inside:

I could have done a better job with the soda, again it was only a test.

Level
    Level completed: 79%, Points required for next Level: 43
    Achievements:
    Tagger Second ClassSocial5000 Experience PointsO.G.

Re: Soda Blaster Highly Recommended

This is BEYOND SUPER COOL!!!! thanks for the post.... ill have to do this sometimes
    1998 Subaru Legacy 2.5GT Sedan - Lucy

Level
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Achievements:
    25000 Experience PointsO.G.Overdrive

Wait, so you're using baking soda? Dry? Interesting.
    ~Mark [SLi Admin]
    2015 Dodge Charger AWD
    2008 Subaru Tribeca Limited, 7 passenger w/ Navigation

Former vehicles:
    03 Forester
    95 Legacy Outback

Level
    Level completed: 63%, Points required for next Level: 187
    Achievements:
    10000 Experience PointsO.G.

Quote Originally Posted by Wiscon_Mark
    Wait, so you're using baking soda? Dry? Interesting.
    Basically yes