Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Alphius's 1999 Legacy GT, WRX swapped - 7/16 STI 6-speed swap

Level
    Level completed: 70%, Points required for next Level: 61
    Achievements:
    O.G.5000 Experience Points
    The Legacy harness is out! It has a white block on the left side above the fusebox that holds a bunch of wiring; it has a spot built in already for the WRX SMJ already!

I always like to throw the dash bar back in so the steering column doesn't hang from the firewall.

Zoom in... the WRX ECU bracket and ECU bolt right into the Legacy chassis like they were meant to be there.

I also tossed in my WRX pedal covers for a little bling-bling. I put the whole WRX accelerator cable and pedal in, it fits perfectly. The cable is longer to reach the throttle actuator on the other side of the throttle body.

Engine bay with the relevant wiring removed. I'll be swapping the crossmember for a Turbo Legacy crossmember this week and cleaning everything up.

Right now the plan is to do the wiring merge this week, then a friend of mine will be coming over next weekend to help me put everything back together; hopefully my engine works and my wiring job is right!
    99 Legacy GT WRX - Now for sale!
    05 Legacy GT Limited 5MT Wagon - Stock-ish.
    02 Outback Limited 5MT - Lifted, Dual Range
    84 Camaro Z28 - LS1/6-speed
    85 Silverado - Low and slow tow rig

Level
    Achievements:
    OK, wiring merge is complete! I have to wrap the harness up still but the hard part is done.
    My friend will be coming over Saturday morning and we are hitting it hard all weekend to hopefully wrap this swap up.

This is what I mean about that bracket that holds the WRX SMJ like it was supposed to be there:

Level
    Level completed: 83%, Points required for next Level: 34
    Achievements:
    5000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Wow really tidy work, even if it isn't wrapped yet. What was all of the excess that you threw away? Did you lose or scrap any functionality or was it just not needed with the new engine harness merged in?

I'm planning on doing the harness merge in the future for my build but I don't have much confidence that I can get the merge done cleanly and without errors.
    1999 Outback On BC Racing coilovers and Desmond Regamasters

"You ruined your car" - Dad
    "Your car looks good!" - Mom <--- Always the supportive one.

Level
    Achievements:
    If you think about it, what do you need from the WRX harness? All you need are the things the ECU controls or gets information from. You don't need the WRX fusebox, under dash relays or wiring, instrument cluster stuff, front and rear light wiring, horn, blinkers, cruise, keyless module, pedal switches, etc. All that stuff already exists on your Legacy harness so it can be removed from the WRX harness. When you do the merge you are reconnecting the WRX ECU to the Legacy equivalents of what you cut out of the WRX harness and threw away.

You're taking the Legacy harness and removing all engine related wiring, leaving body wiring intact.
    You're taking the WRX harness and removing all body related wiring, leaving engine wiring intact.
    Once that's done, you just take care of the wires that cross the engine/body boundary and you are done. My spreadsheet has all of those wires listed except coolant temp gauge and oil pressure light which are pretty obvious once you're nearly done.

Having both cars' wiring diagrams printed out and referencing them while you merge each wire is literally the most important part for a first merge.

Level
    Level completed: 92%, Points required for next Level: 8
    Achievements:
    500 Experience Points1 year registered
    Ok ok...you roped me in. Subbed.

Level
    Level completed: 47%, Points required for next Level: 107
    Achievements:
    Created Blog entryO.G.5000 Experience PointsTagger Second Class
    Awards:
    King of Publishing
    Quote Originally Posted by lord flashheart View Post
    In the cool people thread we were just talking about noobs showing up and being so productive it makes the rest of us look like lazy assholes
    Now that IS Funny :smt065
    Ruby 2.0 1999 Legacy Outback LTD: Getting Ruby 1.5's drive train.
    Ruby, 1998 Legacy Outback: officially a turbo car. Wounded, but being brought back.
    Courtney, 1997 Legacy Outback: DD and off road fun. Going to my sister for a reliable beast.
    Green Machine, 1998 Legacy L wagon: Only one I could not save... She is giving life to others.
    Sapphie, 1962 Nova: Going to be my Daughters sweet ride.

Level
    Level completed: 79%, Points required for next Level: 43
    Achievements:
    Tagger Second ClassSocial5000 Experience PointsO.G.
    I envy your productivity. Any tips for someone doing their first major wiring harness? any sources you used to help you with the wiring? Are you swapping the cluster/dash well or keeping it stock? Doing anything with the body harness or does it not need to be touched?
    1998 Subaru Legacy 2.5GT Sedan - Lucy

Level
    Achievements:
    Quote Originally Posted by Hinyo View Post
    I envy your productivity. Any tips for someone doing their first major wiring harness? any sources you used to help you with the wiring? Are you swapping the cluster/dash well or keeping it stock? Doing anything with the body harness or does it not need to be touched?
    My tips for doing a wiring harness are to have and be able to read the wiring diagrams and have an intimate understanding of what every wire you cut or solder is for before you touch it. Once you understand how one wire works you will be able to figure out what you need to do with it. I did read through Brydon's wiring guide on RS25 before I started the merge but mostly just as a way to familiarize myself with how the WRX harness is laid out. Cluster and dash are stock, I don't care for the WRX dash and it's much more work to swap it in so I didn't do it. The body harness of the Legacy is where you do the wire merge, so yes it needs to be pulled out and cut apart.

So, Saturday morning started with a Legacy Turbo crossmember swap:

And by Sunday night I was driving!

We got it running late Saturday night and spent Sunday cleaning up and reinstalling the interior as well as finishing a few small things up in the engine bay. I drove it about 3 miles to get gas and test the clutch setup with an open downpipe and then we pulled it into the garage and modified an '06 STI catback exhaust to fit the Legacy chassis. I welded new hangers for the axleback and welded an extension of about 4 inches into the midpipe on the downpipe end. Overall, pretty easy. Just from my short drive I can tell it's got an impressive amount of additional low end torque over a normal EJ205.

I do still have a small list of things that need to be done:
    1. I need to do an alignment (I have all the tools for this)
    2. Change oil and add coolant (It's got plain distilled water in it now in case I had to pull the motor)
    3. Wire my heated mirrors back up (Had to cut my custom wiring to take the dash out, rewiring them in with weatherpack connectors)
    4. Fix the airbag light (I probably missed a connector while I was plugging everything back in)
    5. Road tune the car for the increased displacement and increased compression!
    6. Find a WRX alternator cover to finish the engine bay cosmetics
    7. Recharge A/C (I have the tools for this too!)

t3h ub3r m3mber lord flashheart's Avatar
    Level
    Level completed: 26%, Points required for next Level: 224
    Achievements:
    5000 Experience PointsO.G.
    No, no ,no I'm not insulting you, I'm describing you!

Level
    Level completed: 68%, Points required for next Level: 129
    Achievements:
    10000 Experience PointsO.G.
    Quote Originally Posted by Alphius View Post
    If you think about it, what do you need from the WRX harness? All you need are the things the ECU controls or gets information from. You don't need the WRX fusebox, under dash relays or wiring, instrument cluster stuff, front and rear light wiring, horn, blinkers, cruise, keyless module, pedal switches, etc. All that stuff already exists on your Legacy harness so it can be removed from the WRX harness. When you do the merge you are reconnecting the WRX ECU to the Legacy equivalents of what you cut out of the WRX harness and threw away.

You're taking the Legacy harness and removing all engine related wiring, leaving body wiring intact.
    You're taking the WRX harness and removing all body related wiring, leaving engine wiring intact.
    Once that's done, you just take care of the wires that cross the engine/body boundary and you are done. My spreadsheet has all of those wires listed except coolant temp gauge and oil pressure light which are pretty obvious once you're nearly done.

Having both cars' wiring diagrams printed out and referencing them while you merge each wire is literally the most important part for a first merge.
    That's by far one of the best explanations of it I've seen. At some point if you have some time, it'd be cool to see you post your spread sheet and any other tips or tricks you have. Your work is great
    97 Legacy GT

Level
    Level completed: 6%, Points required for next Level: 188
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points
    dude gahhhh i needed to see that cluster removal video like 3 months ago. My right side of the dash surround has little dimples in it now from the back of the cluster. like some little rodent gnawed at it.

Level
    Level completed: 38%, Points required for next Level: 251
    Achievements:
    O.G.10000 Experience PointsRecommendation Second Class
    Woo! What a cool, and quick build. Love it!

Level
    Level completed: 60%, Points required for next Level: 161
    Achievements:
    10000 Experience PointsO.G.
    Wow! Great work. That swap looks really tidy. Must be fun to drive
    '95 Subaru Legacy L AWD Wagon - Original Owner lBBS l CUSCO l WHITELINE l SPT
    '98 BMW E36 M3
    '18 VW Alltrack SE DSG
    '01.5 Audi A4 1.8T Quattro/Manual/APR Stage 2

Level
    Achievements:
    Quote Originally Posted by redlegacygt View Post
    That's by far one of the best explanations of it I've seen. At some point if you have some time, it'd be cool to see you post your spread sheet and any other tips or tricks you have. Your work is great
    I posted the spreadsheet a few posts back, it was a Google Docs link.

Thanks for the props everybody! I'm glad you like my build.

Level
    Level completed: 40%, Points required for next Level: 90
    Achievements:
    1000 Experience PointsVeteran
    [QUOTE=Alphius;272414]I made a video to help people remove the gauge cluster in a 95-99 Legacy without tearing up the dash and without removing the steering wheel. It's surprisingly easier than you would think, I don't know why I've never seen anybody figure this out before:

... i don't believe it

Level
    Achievements:
    I thought that's just how they were supposed to be removed lol.

I gotta hand it to you that was one of the quickest swaps I've seen. Somewhere in the forced induction section there is a post explaining exactly what you did. Only I was telling people to pay enginewiring.com to make a harness for you. Its not that expensive. That's basically what I did with my car except I run a standalone.

Level
    Level completed: 92%, Points required for next Level: 8
    Achievements:
    500 Experience Points1 year registered
    Lol that corner of my dash is demoed from doing this so many times. Wish I took my time and fiddled with it more before just ripping it out haha

Level
    Level completed: 38%, Points required for next Level: 251
    Achievements:
    O.G.10000 Experience PointsRecommendation Second Class
    FFS... where was that video 5 years ago when I started playing with Beast's dash cluster...

Level
    Achievements:
    Ha, I knew you guys would like that video. It's so simple and yet so many ruined dashboards are out there. I think I'll go post it in DIY for more exposure too.

So, I've been putting a few miles on the car after work every day just to test things out. Still running a stock WRX tune, but I've been completely staying out of boost and watching knock counts to make sure it's safe. Well, I succumbed to temptation last night and gave it the beans through second. Oh yes, so good! According to my log I made just under 13psi peak (with -6 degrees of knock correction, ouch!). I ran the log in Airboy's spreadsheet and it said 196whp. It honestly feels almost as fast as my old '94 Legacy SS with the stock EJ22T, RevTronix tune, TMIC, TD05-16g, 440cc greytops and a stock 3.90 5-speed at 17psi. Hopefully this weekend I'll get a few hours to dedicate to tuning and dial this thing in. I'm planning to go for 16-18psi in the midrange tapering to 12 or so at redline, but we'll see how it goes. I'm not upgrading the injectors so I'll be limited by IDC on the stock ones, but that's fine with me. That'll help keep my motor safe. It'll be a very conservative tune.

I fixed my Airbag light last night: there's a connector by the fusebox on the driver's side that needs to be plugged together AND also have a little green button pushed. I forgot to push the green button when I put the interior back together.

I also gave the car an alignment, I left just a hair of toe out in the front end for turn-in response and zero toe in the rear. Somewhere around -1.25 degrees camber in the front and -.5 in the rear. I've experimented with different setups over the years and I think this is a good compromise for an aggressive daily driver yet still doesn't wear tires out too quickly.

The ECU I'm using is an '05 WRX one. It apparently reads my Neutral Position Switch backwards. I read that in '05 all Subarus inverted the NPS behavior so I'm going to put my '02 ECU in tonight and see if it fixes that particular problem. I'd rather run the '02 so I don't have to disable quite as many codes and so eventually I can try out the CarBerry Speed Density ROM, but I couldn't get it to flash while I was putting the car together. After I put the '05 ECU in during the installation/troubleshooting process I found out that you have to "Run as Administrator" in Windows 8.1 to get ECUFlash to work with a Tactrix 2.0 cable, so I suspect I'll be able to flash the '02 ECU as well now.

I found a WRX alternator belt cover for $25 on eBay that I bought; that should finish the engine bay cosmetics up.

The to-do list for my own reference:
    1. Install '02 WRX ECU and flash to stock/disable codes
    2. Change oil and add coolant (It's got plain distilled water in it now in case I had to pull the motor again)
    3. Road tune the car for the increased displacement and increased compression!
    4. Wire my heated mirrors back up (Had to cut my custom wiring harness to take the dash out, rewiring it in with weatherpack connectors)
    5. Recharge A/C (I have the tools for this)
    6. Install alternator belt cover (Bought on eBay)

Level
    Achievements:
    I believe it! I run my car at 12psi which is around 250 and it shits-n-gets. Imho 230-250ish is the ideal amount for our cars. the EJ205 16 bit ECU is sequential injection right? Cuz I think the 440cc injectors are only good for 230-240whp with sequential. If its batch fire, you could get closer to the 270whp mark.

Level
    Achievements:
    Excuse the super dirty car.

Current to-do list:
    1. Install and tune for GrimmSpeed EBCS
    2. Recharge A/C (I have the tools for this)
    3. Install alternator belt cover (Bought on eBay)

The '02 WRX ECU is in and fixed my neutral position switch problem. It also is compatible with all of my fuel level/pressure/EVAP sensors in the tank so I had far fewer codes to disable vs. running the '05 ECU.

I've been tuning the car, had to pull quite a bit of timing out of the low load cruise areas and high load WOT acceleration. My stock bleed style 2-port BCS can't hold any more than about 14psi in the midrange and 11-12 at the top end so I ordered a GrimmSpeed 3-port EBCS to replace it and hopefully be better able to achieve my boost targets. Even at 14psi I'm pulling a pretty impressive number of g/rev airflow compared to a stock EJ205. I can't get over how torquey and smooth the high compression EJ22 is and how much fun it is to boost around in a BD. These cars should've come with a turbo engine from the factory. Even just driving around without getting on it the engine is much more smooth and driveability with the WRX ECU is better. As a bonus, it looks like I'm getting better gas mileage than the EJ25D as well, but I have a suspicion my O2 sensor was starting to get tired on that engine.

The 06-07 WRX clutch works great. You absolutely need the following parts to convert an N/A trans to WRX push clutch:
    WRX stepped flywheel
    WRX clutch disk
    WRX pressure plate
    WRX throwout bearing
    WRX fork
    WRX fork pivot pin
    Grind rib on transmission down to clear fork

Aside from that, all my hydraulics and everything are still factory '99 Legacy GT parts.

Another interesting tidbit; after adding up all of my costs and all the parts I've sold it looks like the entire swap only cost me a bit under $1k. :iconbiggrin: Pretty good value considering I needed a new EJ25 anyway.

Level
    Level completed: 6%, Points required for next Level: 188
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points
    Shoot that was fast and cheap-ish. You should talk to slavik.86, that dude is mad good at swaps too. Hey i pmd you about that woodgrain wheel. Headed up to good ol warshington in 5 days, gonnna keep my eyes peeled for modded subarus bwhaha

Level
    Achievements:
    Boom! Engine bay cosmetics done. Last things to do here are install the GrimmSpeed EBCS and recharge the A/C. Once those are done I can officially say my swap is 100% done.

Level
    Achievements:
    We nominated u for ride-o-the-month-o

Level
    Achievements:
    20psi in the midrange tapering to 13 by redline.

No knock.

Holy crap.

Level
    Achievements:
    Oh yeah, A/C is recharged and the GrimmSpeed BCS is in, as if that wasn't obvious.
    I need to get my snow tires off now, they aren't too happy with 60-70 degree days and all the hard driving I've been doing.

Level
    Achievements:
    Macvalve eh? Any reason you chose an EBC over a MBC?

Level
    Achievements:
    I really enjoy the part throttle controllability of an EBC vs an MBC. All of my 1st gen Turbo Legacys had MBCs and I'm really enjoying being able to tune boost based on throttle position and RPM. Boost targets based on throttle position are much nicer than a typical MBC turbo car where you can get part-throttle full boost. Not to mention I wouldn't be able to run 18psi in the midrange tapering down to 13psi by redline if I had an MBC. I'd have to compromise the midrange power to keep from exiting the efficiency range of the TD04 at redline.

Yes, I realize I gave GrimmSpeed three times the money for a MAC valve I could've bought somewhere else, but I'm a sucker for plug'n'play upgrades.
    It bolted right onto the factory bracket and plugged right into the factory wiring, plus it came with more than enough vacuum line to redo all the boost hoses.

Level
    Achievements:
    I'm not being critical. I was asking because I have both a AEM Mac valve, and an Grimmspeed MBC. I've been to lazy to install the EBC. I was just curious what your stance was.

Level
    Achievements:
    Haha, yeah, I was just explaining too, I didnt see your comment as critical at all. I got a little excited; I just feel strongly that if you have programmable boost control capability you should use it. An MBC is way easier to tune though.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast