Level completed: 6%, Points required for next Level: 188
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points
    Pmed ya again

Level
    Level completed: 70%, Points required for next Level: 61
    Achievements:
    O.G.5000 Experience Points
    I took advantage of a $70 rebate and ordered a set of Bridgestone Potenza RE970AS tires today. I have been running the snow tires that came on my Prodrives until now, and its far too warm and far too late in the year to be running those. If anyone wants an almost new set of 225/45/17 General Altimax Arctic unstudded tires they'll be up for sale soon.
    99 Legacy GT WRX - Now for sale!
    05 Legacy GT Limited 5MT Wagon - Stock-ish.
    02 Outback Limited 5MT - Lifted, Dual Range
    84 Camaro Z28 - LS1/6-speed
    85 Silverado - Low and slow tow rig

New User
    Level
    Level completed: 23%, Points required for next Level: 77
    Achievements:
    1 year registered1000 Experience Points
    Hi GC,
    Very, very nice.

I read the thread but didn't see what HG you used w/the EJ22+EJ205 from the 1st page's list?

I was headed this direction w/an EJ22 'til I got access to an EJ257...I hope that isn't a mistake.

I want a turbo'd BG....maybe someday.

I, and the friend that bought it from me, got the same # of miles out of an EJ25D. It had also gone thru 3 HG, too. It lasted 30K miles after I fixed it the last time.
    Td

Level
    Achievements:
    Thanks Td!
    I used the 11044AA542 headgaskets, they are a MLS gasket measuring 0.8mm compressed. Originally for a circa '99-'01 Phase2 EJ22.
    I've always thought it would be cool to build a BG too; I'd grab a '99 Limited with the dual sunroofs and lower it, build an EJ22/EJ205 swap, and throw in a manual transmission. That would be a nice sleeper wagon.

So, I purchased a set of '04 WRX Limited heated front seats for an amazing deal. They had been in a wreck, so I had to strip the passenger seat cover off and re-sew it where the airbag ripped the seam open. When I got done, you couldn't even tell it had been ripped. Score!

The one problem is that they sit just a little too high for me. I'm 6'1" and I have to slouch to keep my head from hitting the headliner. I'm going to see if I can figure out how to get at least an inch or so lower by modifying the rails. I really like the seats, so I hope I can figure out a way to make them bearable. You can also see in this picture that my seatbelt was totally frayed. (Embarrassed!) I got that replaced for free at the local dealer under warranty last Thursday so it is all good now!

On Saturday I threw on a set of 50k mile '04 WRX wagon struts and springs as well. After I did my turbo swap with the stock struts and springs I had a bit of forward rake because the added weight lowered the front of my car almost an inch. The '04 WRX wagon suspension kept that same slight lowering in the front, but brought the rear down to match. Overall my car is now about an inch lower in the front and 3/4 of an inch lower in the rear than it was when it was stock. The spring rate is also a little higher with the WRX suspension so it feels a little bit more "sporty" without being too stiff. Overall, a great upgrade. I can definitely see how with the stock EJ25D "saggy butt" spacers would be necessary.

Level
    Level completed: 82%, Points required for next Level: 37
    Achievements:
    1000 Experience PointsOverdriveVeteran
    Well you just gave me hope that my bd will sit level when I get my swap done. I'm on GC RS struts and springs and the rear sits roughly 1/2-3/4 of an inch lower than the front when on level ground.
    My 1997 Legacy L

Fuelly

Level
    Achievements:
    I couldn't handle the added height of the WRX seats anymore so I swapped my stockers back in and sold the WRX ones. I'm so much happier while I'm driving now. Really the biggest issue is the collapsed bolster on the driver's seat; I think I'll try to disassemble an extra passenger seat and see if I can re-foam my driver's seat with those parts.

Car is still running good. I'm making small tweaks here and there on the tune to dial in driveability. I have been getting around 23-24mpg on my daily commute (90% freeway @ 80mph, 10% city) but on the highway alone at less than 70 I've seen 26-27mpg. I'm experimenting with a couple tweaks to improve fuel economy even more: I used to have a '96 Brighton wagon that could regularly hit 30-31mpg on the highway and want to see if I can achieve those numbers with this car too.

Level
    Achievements:
    And...

It is blowed up. Spun a bearing in the EJ22 shortblock. Preliminary investigation makes me suspect an injector issue causing one cylinder to run lean. I had some symptoms immediately prior to the spun bearing that point toward an intermittently failing injector. I'll know more when I tear it apart. Hoping to get it back together with a fresh EJ22 block by the end of the month. I'm in the middle of a HG job on a Forester, so my car will have to wait until that is done.

Bought a set of flowtested and cleaned 565cc injectors and an STI fuel pump to rule out future fuel issues. Also going to do a TGV delete while it is apart, because why not? Haha. I also want to run CarBerry ROM when it is back together which can't control the TGVs yet.

Level
    Level completed: 83%, Points required for next Level: 34
    Achievements:
    5000 Experience PointsVeteran
    That sucks! I was just looking through your thread to read up more on the swap and then now this!
    If your first build is any example though you'll have this thing fixed in no time.

Were you just running the stock injectors at a higher duty cycle? or do you think they just died out?
    1999 Outback On BC Racing coilovers and Desmond Regamasters

"You ruined your car" - Dad
    "Your car looks good!" - Mom <--- Always the supportive one.

Level
    Achievements:
    Well, I used the injectors off of an engine that detonated itself to death and blew a hole in piston #4. I'm thinking that 14 years and 160k miles on these stock WRX injectors may have left one or more in poor shape. If the trashed rod bearing in my EJ22 is #4 then it will be a pretty good clue of that injector being faulty. This is the risk you take when you build a budget engine with used parts. Hopefully my second shortblock lives a long, happy and well-fueled life.

It shouldn't take me more than a day to pull the engine and swap a good shortblock in with new gaskets, I just have to find one first.

Problems I had that point to a fueling problem:
    1. Intermittent rough idle
    2. Sometimes fuel trims would be heavily positive
    3. Occasional knock in random places that I couldn't seem to tune out
    4. Sometimes slightly jerky in boost

All the problems were very intermittent and started maybe a week or two before it blew up.

Level
    Level completed: 79%, Points required for next Level: 43
    Achievements:
    Tagger Second ClassSocial5000 Experience PointsO.G.
    =( *insert all the sads here* sorry to hear about that man. but I know you'll build yours back and better than ever!!! cant wait to see it!!!! now to source my motor...
    1998 Subaru Legacy 2.5GT Sedan - Lucy

Level
    Achievements:
    Just wondering if you ever got that jdm cluster from Ruben? I finally said screw it and repined the connectors to use mine properly instead of trying to adapt the tach to a usdm cluster housing, took literally 20 minutes after I made a hand written pinout of the usdm cluster wiring to compare to Ruben's jdm diagram.
    My 1997 Legacy L

Fuelly

Level
    Achievements:
    Nope, I never did get it. He didn't get back to me and I sort of dropped it. Good to hear that repinning is fairly easy if I do decide to pursue it further. I've been spending too much money on this car lately anyway, so I might just stay with what I have.

Speaking of spending money:
    My car is getting a replacement EJ22 shortblock (with 13 month no questions asked replacement warranty!) this weekend that's in much better shape than the original one I used, along with freshly cleaned and flowtested dark blue 565cc injectors, KSTech TGV deletes, WRX front and H6 rear brakes with braided lines and Hawk pads, GrimmSpeed turbo heatshield and a Deatschwerks DW200 fuel pump just to make sure I have zero fuel problems. I'm also going to convert to CarBerry ROM on an 02-03 WRX ECU while I'm at it. The big reason is so that I'll have real PID boost control with per-gear WGDC offsets instead of the dumb 02-05 WRX boost control system. I'll also have the ability to use no-lift-shift, anti-lag, launch control and many other cool features that I probably will never touch. It'll be really nice to drive it again, since it has broken I've pulled and regasketed three Subaru engines for other cars and I'm starting to get tired of not being able to work on or drive my own car!

I might also have a very unexpected surprise for you all after the weekend, we will see.

Level
    Achievements:
    Unfortunately I had the same luck with him last fall trying to get an intercooler splitter and a few other parts for my swap. The contact in New Zealand from facebook no longer works at the Subaru wrecking yard so I've went aftermarket with several parts I wanted to stay oem with.

Good to hear you aren't too far from getting yours going again. I haven't driven my 97 since April either. Since then I've shortblock swapped my mom's outback, put an engine and transmission in my 99 GT, and done several brake jobs and other minor repairs for friends and family. It's been nice to get my hands back on my project.
    My 1997 Legacy L

Fuelly

Level
    Achievements:
    Yeah, I suppose my total downtime of less than a month doesn't compare to some people's months-long or years-long projects. I like to get things done as quickly as possible. I swapped an EJ25D, resealed an '06 Forester and built an EJ22/EJ25D hybrid for a friend's car in the last three weeks. Also found time in all that to hit the junkyard on 50% off day to get my new EJ22 shortblock.

The one part that I probably should find still is an intercooler splitter. If you happen to come across one let me know. It's too bad Ben doesn't work for that yard anymore. Maybe I'll ping Reuben one more time.

Level
    Achievements:
    This is the absolute longest it's ever taken me to do anything. But there's been a lot that's gone into the time, a now 8 month old little girl is the biggest part of that. Before now the longest time my car was down was 3 days for the auto to manual swap last March.
    My 1997 Legacy L

Fuelly

Level
    Achievements:
    I put in my new EJ22 shortblock, 565cc injectors, DW200 fuel pump, TGV deletes and GrimmSpeed heatshield in on Saturday. Car seems to run good, but I've only put a few miles on it so far. Hopefully this will be a nice, reliable engine now.

The big news that I alluded to the other day... I bought Brydon's Forester. http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/show....php?t=2726346

This car is ridiculous. It's somewhere around 500whp with a built EJ257 WRX hybrid, GT4088R turbo, AEM standalone ECU and full STI 6-speed/R180/Brembos.

The reason I bought it, right here. I'll be parting it out and hopefully making enough to end up with a cheap or free 6-speed for my Legacy. I know my 227k mile original 5-speed could fail at any time, if not from power it'll just fail from sheer mileage at some point. I couldn't pass up this opportunity to own a crazy car and also get a cheap 6-speed out of the deal. It's kind of a shame to part this build out though.
    Last edited by Alphius; 06-09-2015 at 02:20 AM.

Level
    Level completed: 44%, Points required for next Level: 85
    Achievements:
    1000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Nice score!

Level
    Achievements:
    Hmmm part out you say? Are you gonna swap the whole drivetrain and motor in? or just keep your motor and 6 speed swap it?

Level
    Achievements:
    I'm keeping my daily-driver-friendly engine and simply swapping in the 6-speed and hopefully the R180.
    The rest is just too crazy to live with on a daily basis.

Level
    Achievements:
    I put a few more miles on my new hybrid build and it runs better than it ever did before. I also flashed the CarBerry Group-N ROM onto a spare 02 WRX ECU and started tuning the PID boost control with per-gear WGDC. I'm almost hitting my target of 18psi in every gear now with way less lag than before. It also runs smoother on CarBerry than it does with any factory ROM. CarBerry ROM is awesome and Jason is awesome, I am very happy with it.

Level
    Achievements:
    Have a terrible picture of my new SUS grille. Thanks to nikolaus.conrad.
    Forester disassembly and partout begins. DCCD 6mt here I come!

Level
    Achievements:
    I'm assuming the Forester has the 5x114.3 conversion done since it has a DCCD 6mt. Or are you gonna do hybrid axles?

Level
    Achievements:
    Forester is 5x100 with 04 STI hubs and rotors. I'm probably selling all that though including the R180 and taking the cheap/easy way out with an R160 rear. I might decide to throw the R180 in if I can't get what I want for it and run Suberdaves races to build hybrid axles.

Level
    Level completed: 47%, Points required for next Level: 107
    Achievements:
    Created Blog entryO.G.5000 Experience PointsTagger Second Class
    Awards:
    King of Publishing
    I vote install the R180. lol. Looks great. Now I am REALLY kicking myself in the ass for sticking with OBD1 and going Emanage Ultimate. I seriously considered getting a set of phase 2 heads and WRX ecu and doing all the wiring. Which, I am sure would have been less then the wiring I did in my car since I made a PNP harness using an ECU connector and wiring.

Your car has inspired me to get Ruby Pulled square so I can atleast get some miles on the motor and get some tuning in before swapping evrything to the 99 Limited shell. Besides, dual moon roofs in Phoenix in the summer = the dumb.
    Ruby 2.0 1999 Legacy Outback LTD: Getting Ruby 1.5's drive train.
    Ruby, 1998 Legacy Outback: officially a turbo car. Wounded, but being brought back.
    Courtney, 1997 Legacy Outback: DD and off road fun. Going to my sister for a reliable beast.
    Green Machine, 1998 Legacy L wagon: Only one I could not save... She is giving life to others.
    Sapphie, 1962 Nova: Going to be my Daughters sweet ride.

Level
    Achievements:
    Nice, glad I am inspiration to somebody!

I helped a friend of mine do some things on his swapped BD the other day, and he wired in an '04 WRX cluster. I must say that I haven't been happy with the look or the fitment of that swap in any BD I've seen so far. I've always said I'll keep my stock gauges because I like them just fine. Well, seeing my friend's car with them in person made me maybe reconsider that thought, so I spent some time tonight working on a proof of concept WRX cluster swap mod that's more well done than any I've seen so far. No gaps next to the gauges, no loose cover, it's all firmly attached. All 4 stock mounting points for the BD cluster are preserved so it should go in just like a stock cluster. Now I've got to figure out a way to do the wiring yet still be able to swap back to the stock gauge cluster if I want. Completely reversible mod is the goal here.

Here's what I got done tonight:

I'll have to mod another clear front cover a little better to put this in my car permanently, it is nearly impossible to drill the hole for the trip reset accurately and I didn't do so well. Now that I have one done I can measure and make a more precise hole in the next one.

The key for me on this cluster swap is to not have the gaps on the side, so I'm glad I accomplished that!

Gross:

Ugly gaps (not my car):

Level
    Achievements:
    I was playing with some gear ratio charts between my 5mt and the 6mt swap to predict how the driving dynamics will change. I found something pretty interesting. 1st-5th are quite a bit shorter than my 4.11 USDM '99 Legacy GT transmission, but 1st-5th on a V.5-6 JDM STI RA DCCD 4.44 5-speed transmission match up almost exactly to the 1st-5th of the USDM STI 6MT. So having the 6MT will be almost exactly like having a JDM 4.44 STI RA 5-speed but with an extra gear up top. Sweet!

Here's the gear ratio comparison between my USDM transmission and the 6mt.

And here's the gear ratio comparison between the v.5-6 STI RA transmission and the 6mt. Sweet!

Level
    Achievements:
    Here's a Google Docs spreadsheet for the wiring necessary to use an 02-04 WRX cluster in a 98-99 Legacy. 95-97 Legacy will require a three wire speed sensor swap and wiring. An 05 cluster will work as well but you'll have to use a relay to invert the ABS light behavior. Keep in mind that sometime between 02 and 04 the WRX diagrams reversed the A and C connectors. Mine is made from the 02 WRX diagram where the A connector is leftmost when looking at the cluster from the back and C is rightmost. I haven't wired this cluster into my car yet but I am working on it soon, and as far as I know this diagram will be correct. If not, I'll update it.

With a minor change or two this diagram will also work for an 04 STI cluster with the red lighting and gauge sweep startup. I might try to score one of those someday.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets...it?usp=sharing
    Last edited by Alphius; 07-09-2015 at 01:57 PM.

Level
    Level completed: 44%, Points required for next Level: 85
    Achievements:
    1000 Experience PointsVeteran
    I would be all over this, but for whater reason it would kill me to not keep track of the miles on my car.

Level
    Achievements:
    Well you my friend are in luck then!
    I'm going to get setup to do in-circuit odometer reprogramming and get mine sorted out. My car has like 228,xxx miles on the ticker and this WRX cluster is at 45,xxx.

http://www.instructables.com/id/Odometer-Reprogramming/
    http://www.rs25.com/forums/f105/t105...pped-dash.html

Level
    Achievements:
    And... I didn't care for the 04 WRX cluster terribly much. Took it out and went back to stock.

Hello beautiful.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast