Thread: LED Conversion for JDM Projectors/Tail Lights/Side Markers

"FNG"
    Level
    Level completed: 74%, Points required for next Level: 40
    Achievements:
    1000 Experience PointsVeteran

LED Conversion for JDM Projectors/Tail Lights/Side Markers

After converting my interior lights to LED, I've now committed to move on to the exterior. I currently have LED reverse lights and third brake lights so far. I will be buying from superbrightleds.

I want to get..
    - LEDs for DRL's and turn signals for the headlights. I also want to setup the DRLs to be.. DRLs and the corner lights to be turn signals only. As shown in this video ( )
    - LEDs for the JDM Side Marker
    - LEDs for the taillights, the set is smoked by the way. I assume that I'll need amber colored turn signals to be legal?

My questions is, would I face any issues with bulb fit or hyperflashing for example. Also, I know that buying the brightest bulb is a bad move but I don't want to buy a bulb that'll barely be seen.

I also want to implement the independent fog light mod. Is there a guide for the BG as well?

Thanks for the help, and I will show photos too!
    1997 Subaru Outback Limited - Red on Black @ 116k miles, 2nd Owner, Stock (for now)
    1998 Lincoln Town Car Executive Series - ~460k miles on body, 95k miles on engine and transmission. Stock (for now)

Level
    Level completed: 6%, Points required for next Level: 188
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points
    Installing LED's is pretty a pretty foreign process to me. Doesnt mean i cant be useful though

1. I think you do need amber to be legal, state rules differ etc... what other color would you pick? white? That would be cool.
    2. What does DRL stand for? The jdm projector "city lights" function? (the little ones next to the projector) Please define.

my car hyperflashes turn signals sometimes randomly so if anyone else has advice on how to fix that please chime in.

Yes there is a guide to the independent fog light mod for BG/outback's on this website.

Pictures! do you have the headlights sitting in front of you?

Level
    Level completed: 6%, Points required for next Level: 188
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points
    Also i need to research LED bulbs but you might have fitment issues. The JDM sidemarker (none LED) bulbs are tiny. (The only LED's ive seen are the ones in my projectors)

"FNG"
    Level
    Achievements:
    Quote Originally Posted by foohfooh View Post
    Installing LED's is pretty a pretty foreign process to me. Doesnt mean i cant be useful though

1. I think you do need amber to be legal, state rules differ etc... what other color would you pick? white? That would be cool.
    2. What does DRL stand for? The jdm projector "city lights" function? (the little ones next to the projector) Please define.

my car hyperflashes turn signals sometimes randomly so if anyone else has advice on how to fix that please chime in.

Yes there is a guide to the independent fog light mod for BG/outback's on this website.

Pictures! do you have the headlights sitting in front of you?
    - Now that I think about it. I'll stick to amber.
    - Yeah, the city lights. Should've been specific on that.
    - The lights are currently mounted on the car. I have pictures of them in my MR1 thread.>> https://sl-i.net/FORUM/showthread.ph...-Winter-Update <<

Quote Originally Posted by foohfooh View Post
    Also i need to research LED bulbs but you might have fitment issues. The JDM sidemarker (none LED) bulbs are tiny. (The only LED's ive seen are the ones in my projectors)
    Yeah, I haven't gotten a chance to look for my side markers.

I also wanted to know what bulbs would be a best fit for the lights? I will be shopping on superbrightleds, FYI.
    1997 Subaru Outback Limited - Red on Black @ 116k miles, 2nd Owner, Stock (for now)
    1998 Lincoln Town Car Executive Series - ~460k miles on body, 95k miles on engine and transmission. Stock (for now)

"FNG"
    Level
    Level completed: 12%, Points required for next Level: 88
    Achievements:
    1 year registered1000 Experience Points
    I can get you load resistors to prevent hyper flashing, along with led bulbs, etc.

"FNG"
    Level
    Achievements:
    I've managed to place the LEDs into the lights and as expected, the turn signals hyper flash. I bought resistors to take on the voltage.

Anyone know which wires would be for the turn signals? both front and back.

Level
    Level completed: 27%, Points required for next Level: 110
    Achievements:
    1 year registered1000 Experience PointsTagger Second Class
    Instead of finding the wires and having to manually install the resistors, just buy a new flasher relay that is compatible with LED's. It's a lot less work, and should be less than $10 at any major auto parts store.
    2015 Ice Silver Legacy 2.5i Premium
    1996 Subaru Legacy BK Wagon (gone to the Subaru Gods)

Feel Better, Look Better, and Live Better!

Level
    Achievements:
    1000 Experience Points1 year registered
    Anyone know what bulbs go in the JDM side markers? LED or not, it doesn't matter.

"FNG"
    Level
    Achievements:
    Quote Originally Posted by CaleDeRoo View Post
    Anyone know what bulbs go in the JDM side markers? LED or not, it doesn't matter.
    JDM - W5W
    USDM - 194 T10

I ordered W5W bulbs from amazon for the markers, have yet to try them out.

"FNG"
    Level
    Achievements:
    Quote Originally Posted by 1692 View Post
    Instead of finding the wires and having to manually install the resistors, just buy a new flasher relay that is compatible with LED's. It's a lot less work, and should be less than $10 at any major auto parts store.
    That is actually a much better idea. Any specific spec. I'll have to look for?

Level
    Level completed: 70%, Points required for next Level: 46
    Achievements:
    I have got 10 SMD 194 T10 LED bulbs work decently in JDM side marker, I can be told about eBay quality as well.
    Technically blit out 6000k, pretty bright when flashing.
    I am going to put my 1157 LED bulbs in the corner light once finished JDM headlights retrofitting.
    1995 L-Wagon 45B : Sold
    1997 GT-Sedan 54A

Level
    Achievements:
    Quote Originally Posted by SiNGH View Post
    I'd have to dig and see if I can find the part number of the one I have, but just the standard flasher for my 96 wagon was all I needed.

Level
    Achievements:
    Quote Originally Posted by WPEC View Post
    I have got 10 SMD 194 T10 LED bulbs work decently in JDM side marker, I can be told about eBay quality as well.
    Technically blit out 6000k, pretty bright when flashing.
    I am going to put my 1157 LED bulbs in the corner light once finished JDM headlights retrofitting.
    I had the 6000K in my side markers as well. It was extremely bright, but with the amber lenses, it was almost a greenish amber color (almost think it was closer to 8000K color). I replaced them with 10 SMD 194 Amber LED bulbs, and it looks like it should be a factory light, and the color matches the other LED's I have in my turn signals!

Level
    Level completed: 97%, Points required for next Level: 7
    Achievements:
    Im in the process of finally getting around to trying different leds in different places. very very weird electrical things have happened. im using high quality, all metal led housings that my friend makes, i run only his leds and have had no problems. leds in both turn signals (front and rear) and not only do they hyper flash but when my hazards are on, my parking lights (brake lights) flash with them. also, when the headlights are on and i turn the hazards on, my turn signals dont work. so resistors will be needed to generate a higher wattage load to trick the computer to think they are regular bulbs. leds are about 5w, stock bulbs are 21-27w so you'll need a 25 watt resistor or so. tried it again tonight just leaving the front turn signals led and some turn signals when the headlights are on work, but when parking lights are on and hazards are on, the brake lights still flash with them. will try resistors and see if that fixes it all, have them at home, just havent been home to try them yet. worst case, well i dont know yet.
    Its not the car that races, Its the driver.

"FNG"
    Level
    Achievements:
    I'd have to dig and see if I can find the part number of the one I have, but just the standard flasher for my 96 wagon was all I needed.
    Also, where would the flasher be located?

Level
    Achievements:
    Also, where would the flasher be located?
    It's on the drivers side foot well. You have to remove the panel that is under the steering wheel for easiest access, and it's tucked up just above the interior fusebox. Kind of a pain to get to...

Level
    Achievements:
    Quote Originally Posted by USDM96SLI View Post
    Im in the process of finally getting around to trying different leds in different places. very very weird electrical things have happened. im using high quality, all metal led housings that my friend makes, i run only his leds and have had no problems. leds in both turn signals (front and rear) and not only do they hyper flash but when my hazards are on, my parking lights (brake lights) flash with them. also, when the headlights are on and i turn the hazards on, my turn signals dont work. so resistors will be needed to generate a higher wattage load to trick the computer to think they are regular bulbs. leds are about 5w, stock bulbs are 21-27w so you'll need a 25 watt resistor or so. tried it again tonight just leaving the front turn signals led and some turn signals when the headlights are on work, but when parking lights are on and hazards are on, the brake lights still flash with them. will try resistors and see if that fixes it all, have them at home, just havent been home to try them yet. worst case, well i dont know yet.
    Did you have any luck with the resistors?

Level
    Achievements:
    I totally forgot to reply to this. The one I bought was an EP34 LED flasher relay, but you can also buy the CF13 LED flasher as well. I believe they both have the same 3 pins that are on the connector for 2nd gen, and both are right around $10. It's a hell of a lot easier doing this instead of load resistors on every single LED in the system!

"FNG"
    Level
    Achievements:
    I totally forgot to reply to this. The one I bought was an EP34 LED flasher relay, but you can also buy the CF13 LED flasher as well. I believe they both have the same 3 pins that are on the connector for 2nd gen, and both are right around $10. It's a hell of a lot easier doing this instead of load resistors on every single LED in the system!
    I bought a LED-Compatible Flasher from Auto Zone. I kind of tried to get to the stock flasher, but it is a PITA to get to. Any tips?

Level
    Achievements:
    I bought a LED-Compatible Flasher from Auto Zone. I kind of tried to get to the stock flasher, but it is a PITA to get to. Any tips?
    I won't type the words that I was saying when I was trying to get to this myself since it was a PITA! I actually had to reach up and undo the connector on the stock flasher, and I literally just plugged in the new flasher and wedged it up in there so it wouldn't come down. I couldn't get the screw off that held the original flasher in place.

Level
    Achievements:
    If some people are interested in some LED lights, the engine in my 96 decided that it didn't want to cooperate and work for me anymore, so I'm having to scrap the car, but I pulled the LED's out of every single external and internal light that I had switched out (which was literally every one!) and will be selling them soon.

All are compatible for a 2nd gen. I have LED's for all red brake lights, all amber turn signals, white back up lights, all map, dome, and even the door courtesy lights, license plate lights, and even have LED headlights (OPT-7 H4/9003). I even pulled the JDM amber marker lights, and have included more wiring as well as LED bulbs in those.

I do not have enough posts yet to place in the For Sale forum (need 25 before I can, and this is #20) so I wanted to at least get the word out there for anyone wanting to do a full LED conversion on their 2nd gen that I have everything you would need. If anyone is interested, please send me a message and we can talk pricing. Will be glad to do a full package deal for all of them, plus some spares (I'll even include the LED compatible flasher so you don't need load resistors)!

New User
    Level
    Level completed: 6%, Points required for next Level: 94
    Achievements:
    3 months registeredCreated Album pictures500 Experience Points
    Name:  subaru legacy tuning 1.jpg
Views: 222
Size:  302.9 KB

I keep seeing these pictures floating around online? Anybody have any idea, where to get these or how to make them? I think they'd look as good, if not better than just LED bulbs.

Level
    Level completed: 31%, Points required for next Level: 278
    Achievements:
    O.G.10000 Experience Points
    Yup I have seen them for sale, can usually get them for around $600-700. Best off cutting open your own tails and installing your own led board then epoxy then back up
    97 RHD SOLD
    99 RHD SOLD
    01 Outback SOLD
    01 LGT SOLD

New User
    Level
    Level completed: 6%, Points required for next Level: 94
    Achievements:
    3 months registeredCreated Album pictures500 Experience Points
    Is there a DIY somewhere that gives prices and instructions on how to do that?

New User
    Level
    Level completed: 62%, Points required for next Level: 38
    Achievements:
    1 year registered1000 Experience Points

cant find much on led tails

http://www.led119.ru/blog/CHEREPOVETS/?category=263
    found this page with lots of pics, all in russian i think. pics give good idea what to look for I think. just not sure on parts and how to pull tails apart. is it like the headlights? I just did HID retrofit in my headlights and wasnt that hard pulling the lenses off, just not sure about the tails.