Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Level
    Level completed: 10%, Points required for next Level: 136
    Achievements:
    Overdrive1000 Experience Points1 year registered

Hybrid Ej251/ej22e in the making

The Back brief

Hello everyone,
    First of i would like to say hello to everyone here at SLI, I have been browsing the forums for a while but just joined up earlier today. Reason i am posting is that about a month ago, I bought my first legacy and planning on picking up another in a month or so whenever my other car gets sold. This is my first legacy however this is not my first Subaru, all together it is my 4th. ( 2 Imprezas, 1 Forester) The Legacy I bought was a deal I couldn't pass up. It's a 96 Legacy L wagon, AWD, Auto transmission and the bulletproof ej22e Although sadly this Wagon is just going to be cannibalized because it's a rust bucket and will not pass state inspection anymore. This is where I need some help. The Legacy I'm planning on buying is a 2003 Legacy wagon (ej251) 5spd supposedly with rod knock. I haven't gone to look at the car to try and troubleshoot but if it is coming from the rod bearings then I am going to do a hybrid motor turbo build using the 22 block and bolting it up to the 251 heads. I have been doing a lot of research these past few weeks and most of the hybrid setups I come across are the DOHC EJ25D heads bolted to the 22 block. After reading I don't think this is going to make a big difference but I am curious as to why not many people use the 251 platform.

Without going into too much detail I will tell you I turbo'd my old 1997 Impreza (ej22e) and absolutely loved that car. Drove it for around 20 thousand miles on 5psi (vf11) never had any trouble until I crashed it one night with a couple of my friends. Luckily we all walked away without a scratch, cannot say the same for the car though.
    Up until this point I have been dying to do another turbo build, I just had to get some things in life lined out before continuing my Subaru passion. I'm excited to say I think I've reached that point again, now getting onto the project.

I am on somewhat limited funding, however I have quite a few parts available. I have a td04 from my previous build. Some stock wrx headers/up pipe and I can make my supply/return lines at the shop I work at. I want to use as many parts from each vehicle as possible like the 5qt oil pan from the 251 then tap it for the return. I'm not sure if the 251 injectors will be enough to quench the turbo or not I'll have research more. I'm planning on getting a bigger 11mm wrx oil pump because the seal on the 22 is leaking and I think it could benefit from the extra oil flow. I've been considering notching my crossmember then reenforcing it, but I'm kinda leery of doing that because my daughter will be riding in it and I want it to be safe as possible. I also was leaning towards doing a front mount intercooler since there is no hood scoop and it will add to the sleeper look. Haven't really thought about engine management yet I have a friend who is a pretty good tuner that hopefully can help. I'm only planning on running the stock psi 8-10 of the td04. Anyways that's what I'm looking at right now I'm sure I left some things out, but I'll remember later on.

Thanks ahead of time for any input and I look forward to working on this project with your help, SLI has always had a good reputation around the other Subaru fourms unlike NASIOC which has basically turned into a bash on noob's site.

Oh yeah, sorry for the lengthy post haha

Derek

Picking up the Legacy

Tear down of EJ251 and The EJ22E

Wiring in heated seats/Engine assembly

Fitting the turbo/installing the engine

My intention of this build thread is to document the progress of my car build so most of my post are not the DIY type of post, however I am glad to help anyone who asks for it. Most things i have done on this car i am learning for myself, but I am fairly experienced with Subaru's so again any topic you need help with just ask and i will go into further detail.
    Last edited by dna; 02-16-2016 at 10:11 PM.