Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread: Hybrid Ej251/ej22e in the making

Level
    Level completed: 10%, Points required for next Level: 136
    Achievements:
    Overdrive1000 Experience Points1 year registered
    I noticed that quite a few threads on here are missing pictures so it must be a SLI issue.
    So I realized I kinda screwed up last night by buying the Legacy GT brakes, because my rims are 16" and the bigger calipers will not clear.

Since I jumped the gun, I'm planning on using the LGT fronts on my Impreza, then rebuild my stock 2 pots and buy outback mounting brackets for the rotors I have then do the rear brake upgrade.

Level
    Achievements:
    Got my brake upgrade completed, So the Legacy Gt calipers I ordered were actually from the base 2.5 but it ended up working out for the better. Overall I feel a huge difference in braking performance, however one of my calipers on the front was completely seized so just a new caliper is an upgrade for me. haha. I went with ceramic brake pads up front and metallic in the rear. So far the fronts make a little noise but my car is so loud I hardly notice it.

The guy I bought the brakes from had sand blasted them beforehand so I went ahead and decided to paint them.

Went with red because I had a can of the "High heat" Caliper paint around the garage. Guess we will see how it holds up.

Quite a bit of difference in the two rotors surface area, new legacy rotor on bottom. Top is a 274mm I think and the bottom is 294mm

Here is the completed product, nice and shiny.

Not the best picture but the piston size on the newer legacy is quite a bit bigger then the older legacy and bolts right up.
    Last edited by dna; 11-18-2016 at 08:04 AM.

Level
    Achievements:
    Quote Originally Posted by dna View Post
    Well the time has come for me to replace the brakes on the Legacy and I have a couple questions for you guys.
    1. What is the best cheap factory brake upgrade, Outback, wrx, legacy GT?

2.Does the Legacy L and outrack have the same size rear brakes? I know the fronts are bigger
    To answer my own questions after researching,

#1 The 01-04 outback (and the 2005+ base model legacy) front rotors, mounting bracket and calipers along with pads is a 20mm rotor diameter upgrade for the base model L. (you will also need new backing plates or just remove your old rusty's like I did.) Small note is that the newer legacy calipers look a little different however size and mounting locations are exactly the same as well as brake pad part numbers.

The Wrx 2002-2005 shares the same front brakes as the outback (calipers, rotors, pads and brackets)

2006+Wrx are the nice raised letter 4 pot brakes that clear 16" rims (Don't quote me on that its just what I have read)

2005+ Legacy GT brakes are much bigger 2 pots with a 315mm rotor close to the STI rotor, only downfall is they do require 17" rims unless you want to shave the caliper with a grinder (No thanks) also the caliper WILL NOT mount to the outback mounting brackets due to size difference.

#2 Yes the outback and the Legacy L have the same size rear brakes + pads. From what I read if you want to do a vented rear brake upgrade you need the mounting brackets, and rotors from a 2005+ Legacy Gt (Possibly the outback H6 too but not 100%) Same diameter rotor just vented.

One more small thing is that the newer base legacy rear caliper piston is slightly larger diameter (see pictures) then the older base 01-03 Legacy with the same size pads, I believe it is a good thing because of the bigger surface area.

Level
    Achievements:
    So crazy thing happened this morning. My buddy needed a starter for a subaru so I had one laying around and gave it to him. Well we started talking and he has an 01 Outback with rod knock that he ended up giving to me! I just have to pick it up 2 hrs away, then my legacy will have some nice upgrades coming. As well as a massive part out sale on here.

Level
    Achievements:
    Any know of a compilation with the differences of an outback vs regular L. I know I can search each individual item but one masterling list would be awesome that way I know which parts I wanna rob. Right now I'm planning on taking the side skirts possibly fenders and front bumper. Probably the sway bars to if they are any bigger.

Level
    Achievements:
    Picking up the outback in the morning, If you need any parts from it let me know. Going to have a big partout sale after I get my parts.

Level
    Achievements:
    Been a while since I posted, quick update on the Leggy still running great. Had a misfire on cylinder 4 about 2 months ago so I replaced the plugged and gapped them a little bit colder. No issues since then, however the car is about to receive some love by way of a new 3" mandrel bent exhaust (hopefully Wednesday) manual boost controller (planning on running 10psi to start and go from there.) and the LSD out of the outback I picked up. I have also been toying with the idea of buying an aftermarket fuel pressure regulator and doing a parallel fuel setup, in hopes of running the air intake directly under the manifold. Hopefully helping spool while eliminating the 90 degree bend I have coming off the turbo now. So stay posted I'll be posting up some pictures of the exhaust this week if all goes well. Thanks again guys for the support of this build. I wouldn't have made it this far if it wasn't for SLI and the advice I have received.

Level
    Achievements:
    Little update, well the exhaust plans fell through. My buddy ended up quitting his job before I made it up to his shop haha. I did get the boost controller installed and have been running 10psi, had to adjust the emanage a little but so far the car doesn't feel a whole lot different. I put the wheels and tires from the outback on my car because I had a blowout on the way to work last week, so that may have something to do with not feeling much of a power gain. Outback wheels and tires do fit a Legacy without installing the struts but there is only 3/8 inch between the tire and bottom hat of the strut. So its a tight squeeze but they do fit haha. The Outback that I picked up doesn't have the LSD I thought it did so was a little disappointed there but what can you do, ill keep looking for one to throw in there. Ill try to post some pictures of the Leggy soon.

Level
    Achievements:

I love the way these tires look, took a minute to grow on me but I think it looks way better. Gonna install the outback side skirts today.

Here she is, still kicking. Heat wrap coming to the headers soon but other then that not much has changed

Level
    Achievements:

Got around to installing the outback side skirts, love the way it looks.

Level
    Achievements:
    Well it is with a sad heart that I am writing this post, but I no longer have the Legacy. I found and 2003 WRB WRX wagon and worked out a trade with the owner. The WRX has 190k on it but bone stock and super clean,but it needs an engine. I'm going to miss the Legacy, but I definitely appreciate all the help I have received from this site again you guys are awesome and without this site I may have never had the chance to build the hybrid. I've still got a ton of Legacy/Outback parts I want to sell so let me know if what you need and ill keep up with this site. Definitely not finished with the Legacy community, my wife has been looking at some 05-07 Legacy GT's lately. After she rode in mine she fell in love with the turbo power haha, thanks again guys take care DNA signing off for now.
    Last edited by dna; 07-04-2017 at 09:57 AM.

Level
    Level completed: 50%, Points required for next Level: 25
    Achievements:
    Tagger Second Class3 months registered500 Experience Points
    Nice! That should be quite the fun upgrade going from an NA-T setup to a proper factory turbo Subaru. I'm sure the weight difference between the two is going to have you happy, too.

Be sure to post up in the MR2 section so we can see the new car then!

Level
    Achievements:
    What's up guys, just checking back in to say hey to the SLI family and give a little update on the Ol Legacy. She's still running great, one of the timing belt pulleys ended up backing out a little but luckily it was caught before any serious damage was done. I still keep up with the guy that I traded with, even helped him work on it quite a few times. He always is asking about various things on the car since most of the engine was custom. Every time I pass it out in town I shed a little tear, I really do miss that car. Driving the WRX is nice but I honestly feel like the old hybrid was faster, even with the weight difference. Also the 2.2 was way smoother throughout the power band, the 2.0 is very twitchy as your coming into boost but it could be a dirty boost control solenoid. Anyway I have decided that once the 2.0 in the wrx dies it will be getting a 2.2 hybrid as well and ultimately a ej257 swap. Currently I haven't been on any other forums although we did start a local Subaru club and my old car is one of the members and that is where I try to share my knowledge and help out with the local Subaru community. Ive been able to give some of my parts in the garage away to guys who really needed the help, so that's definitely been a rewarding experience. Anyway ill check back in a few months and I am always looking for another legacy so hopefully next time I post it will be with my latest project.

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456