Thread: 96 Legacy Outback wagons got the squish pedal something aweful!

New User
    Level
    Level completed: 2%, Points required for next Level: 49
    Achievements:
    31 days registered100 Experience Points

96 Legacy Outback wagons got the squish pedal something aweful!

So I when I bought the car a month or so ago the brakes were shot, pedal pretty much to the floor. Replaced rotors and pads all around and the brakes grabbed better but the pedal as still to the floor. Bled the brakes and instantly it's 9bazillion times better with very little pedal travel before solid brake engagement. Happy times... for a week or so. Noticed that when the hill holder lets loose I hear a stuttering noise almost like pressure surging crossed with a bit of a springy sound and the pedal looses a little feel. This doesn't always happen when the hill holder lets loose but when it does make this sound the pedal gets some more squish. So besides checking for leaks what do I look for? I hear a vicious rumor from a subie guy that my ABS pump could be giving up the ghost. Would make sense as I have had the ABS light come on one for about a minute. The car has 177k or so on it and is in pretty good shape otherwise if that helps any at all.

New User
    Level
    Level completed: 2%, Points required for next Level: 49
    Achievements:
    31 days registered100 Experience Points
    Yep ABS pump. Leaking out of the side near the bottom where a cylinder goes through it. Not sure if its the cam for the pump part of it or what but it's leaking. Anyone know if there is an interchange for it? My 96 has a build date of 7/95 and the lines out of the pump are in a line vs in a box pattern.

Level
    Level completed: 11%, Points required for next Level: 358
    Achievements:
    O.G.10000 Experience Points
    I think your abs should be the same from 95-97 some 97 have the newer style abs (1 big plug). Just make sure you grab one that match your transmission AT or MT. There should be a # stamped on top of the abs module