I did a little searching, didn't really see what I was looking for as far as info goes.

I'm running 16x6.5 (+48ET) Forester S alloys right now with 225-55-16 tires. I have a bit of a balance issue that cannot be fixed with wheel weights, so I'm looking to ditch them (it's causing wobble on the highway and I'm noticing it because I now have to take the highway every day).

Tirerack is running clearance on some pretty nice looking wheels. One set is 16x7.5 and the other is 16x7. I know the tires will mount on both rims, and both of them have a +50 offset so the rims will physically fit without rubbing (I have about 20mm to give from the inside of the 16x6.5 rim). The tires sidewalls stick out quite a bit from the rims, but that shouldn't expand with larger rims.

I measured the clearance of the tire sidewall to the strut and it's about 10mm. So, am I right in thinking that the tires will only move 2mm closer to the strut, because they're still centered on the wheels and the wheel center is only moving 2mm closer to the strut?

I used the calculator at http://www.willtheyfit.com/ but it doesn't really confirm my findings as far as the tire fit goes, just that the wheels will be fine.