Thread: 95 WRX transmission noise

Level
    Level completed: 39%, Points required for next Level: 185
    Achievements:
    5000 Experience PointsO.G.

95 WRX transmission noise

Hello there,
    Looking to see what this problem could be. Not sure if it is the center diff or I stretched first gear.

The car is a 95 Impreza L with an EJ205 swap and a 95 JDM WRX transmission. Took the car to the drags on Friday night. 2nd run I broke a few teeth off the spider gear in the rear differential. Replaced the differential with a known good one (also a 4.11).

Been driving the car and having this whining noise now on deceleration. Also when accelerating in first gear sometimes I hear what almost sounds like a rock tumbler for a second or so at low RPM's. Goes away at higher RPMs.

The noises are not apparent in any gear other then first.

1996 Subaru Legacy L

t3h ub3r m3mber nikolaus.conrad's Avatar
    Level
    Level completed: 19%, Points required for next Level: 324
    Achievements:
    5000 Experience PointsO.G.Social
    I would say first gear might have a chipped tooth or worn teeth but you won't know off sure until you take it apart. In the mean time if you found a 97-99 Outback transmission you could run that until you get the WRX transmission figured out, they have a 4.11 final drive and a short gearbox ratio make for good pulls on the highway
    -Nick
    1991 Subaru Legacy L -221K -Killed in action
    1996 Subaru Legacy L -192K -Rust in Peace
    1996 Subaru Outback -214K -Drove into ground
    1999 Subaru Outback Limited -195K -Kiara. EJ22D. 5 speed swapped dual sunroof BG
    1990 Volvo 240 sedan -220K -B230F. M47. I Drift Bro.
    1964 Triumph Spitfire 4 Mark 1 -47K -First Love. Continuous Project. #BeingTopless 50whp of British fury!
    Quote Originally Posted by Thomistopheles
    The EJ25D likes to blow its head gaskets in a spectacular manner, leaking combustion gasses into places it's not supposed to go; giving you the world's worst tasting milkshake.

Level
    Level completed: 39%, Points required for next Level: 185
    Achievements:
    5000 Experience PointsO.G.
    I am not sure I would feel comfortable running an N/A trans. The motor makes 280whp and 310wtq.

I may just end up running it. The transmission was fine prior to the diff blowing up. Don't do many "pulls" in first gear.

Will however change out the fluid with some Redline shockproof if the gear oil looks okay.
    1996 Subaru Legacy L