Thread: Gauge Cluster swap

New User
    Level
    Level completed: 62%, Points required for next Level: 19
    Achievements:
    31 days registered100 Experience Points

Gauge Cluster swap

I have a 2001 Legacy L and for my build I'm looking to upgrade the cluster i have to one with a tach that revs a little higher than the one i have now. which brings me to my question, has anyone done a cluster swap on a 3rd gen legacy. and if so what routes did you take to make it work? to eliminate questions of why a cluster swap and what not i shall explain my build a little bit and why i want to do the swap. i plan on doing a high performance N/A build running at 12:1 compression ratio revving to 8k. yes i know the pros and cons and yes i know how turbos are considered "better" and how they yield more power but I'm not going for power I'm going for the build. anyway, the reason I want to do the swap rather than get an aftermarket tach is because I want a clean, stockish look to my car to keep it "under the radar' so the speak. any input towards this cluster swap is much apreciated.

Level
    Level completed: 62%, Points required for next Level: 383
    Achievements:
    10000 Experience PointsO.G.SocialOverdrive
    All 3rd Generation (2000-2004 Legacy/Outback, and 2004-2006 Baja) North American clusters share the same pinout, so they are all "plug-and-play". That being said, there is no cluster here with a redline above 6.5k.

In Japan, there are a number of clusters with 7k and 7.5k redlines, and the STI Catalogue cluster has a 7k redline, but has a 10k scale. All Japanese clusters require either re-pinning the existing harness or an adapter. I have a detailed thread with all of the information about these clusters over here: https://sl-i.net/FORUM/showthread.php?16114