Thread: Sugesstions for coilovers

"FNG"
    Level
    Level completed: 39%, Points required for next Level: 61
    Achievements:
    1000 Experience Points1 year registered

Sugesstions for coilovers

Hey, My friend is at the point where he is starting to think about coilovers for his car. So i thought I'd ask for your opinions on what would be at the top of your list?

The car in question is 98 legacy gt wagon, wrx swapped, vf39, 560cc injectors, 08 sti topmount currently running 18lbs with much more room to go once a few more modification are done.

The car is daily driven but he has an 04 forrester xt that is more of his daily. He will be doing some slight auto x/drag but mostly driving around hurting feelings. Lol.

I've looked abit into it for him and fortune auto 500 series tends to come up more than others as far as i've seen, he was pretty set on hsd's. Obviously koni's with ground controls is always a great setup but he doesnt want to spend the time sourcing inserts/springs/camberplates/mounts and housings then have to put it all together, it's a great option and alot of the guys on the sr20-forum (my other car is a 94 sentra) have had great results with this combo but he just wants something he can put in the car align and go when they show up.

He has a budget of around $1500.

Let me know what you guys think and or if you've had any experience with the options above and your opinions on them. Thanks Dave

Level
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Achievements:
    25000 Experience PointsO.G.Overdrive
    Hi,

I moved your topic to the appropriate forum so it would get the best exposure.

I can't really answer what the "best" coilovers are, but being that he has a 2nd gen wagon, he should be able to use any coilovers intended for the 02-07 WRX (wagon, preferably, but it likely doesn't matter for coilovers) and there's a lot of options out there. Quite a few guys here are running coils of some kind, but Nasioc may have a more comprehensive look at everything that is available due to the large quantity of members running modded Imprezas over there.
    ~Mark [SLi Admin]
    2015 Dodge Charger AWD
    2008 Subaru Tribeca Limited, 7 passenger w/ Navigation

Former vehicles:
    03 Forester
    95 Legacy Outback

Level
    Level completed: 27%, Points required for next Level: 110
    Achievements:
    A few of us here are using BC BR coilovers. I haven't seen any complaints and mine were super simple to install. For $1500 he can afford the coilovers + rear camber plates, and new front/rear swaybars and endlinks.

"FNG"
    Level
    Achievements:
    Quote Originally Posted by Wiscon_Mark View Post
    Hi,

I moved your topic to the appropriate forum so it would get the best exposure.

I can't really answer what the "best" coilovers are, but being that he has a 2nd gen wagon, he should be able to use any coilovers intended for the 02-07 WRX (wagon, preferably, but it likely doesn't matter for coilovers) and there's a lot of options out there. Quite a few guys here are running coils of some kind, but Nasioc may have a more comprehensive look at everything that is available due to the large quantity of members running modded Imprezas over there.
    Thanks, I've read that if using coils for the 02-07 wrx on 2 gen leggy you will have to swap the front tophats/camberplates from left to right. I think he's trying to find something specific to the 2 gen chassis. Thanks Dave

"FNG"
    Level
    Achievements:
    Quote Originally Posted by CaleDeRoo View Post
    A few of us here are using BC BR coilovers. I haven't seen any complaints and mine were super simple to install. For $1500 he can afford the coilovers + rear camber plates, and new front/rear swaybars and endlinks.
    Bc's have definitely come up in conversation, Seem to be a very good option for the price. Are people running 02-07 wrx bc's or are there 2 gen leggy specific coils available? He currently is running swaybars from his old 94 turbo legacy so I dont think he's looking to replace those atm, Has some poly's in the links. Thanks Dave

Level
    Level completed: 83%, Points required for next Level: 34
    Achievements:
    5000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Quote Originally Posted by DaveM View Post
    Bc's have definitely come up in conversation, Seem to be a very good option for the price. Are people running 02-07 wrx bc's or are there 2 gen leggy specific coils available? He currently is running swaybars from his old 94 turbo legacy so I dont think he's looking to replace those atm, Has some poly's in the links. Thanks Dave

For the price range there's not too many options, and they're all pretty much the same. Cale and I both have BC BRs, I like them, they handle pretty well and they're affordable. I've had mine on the car since about November last year so I haven't had them on for the longest amount of time, but they haven't given me any issues yet.

With that price range I would either get the BRs with Swift springs or rear camber plates.

They offer a 2nd gen specific model where the camber plates are properly oriented.
    1999 Outback On BC Racing coilovers and Desmond Regamasters

"You ruined your car" - Dad
    "Your car looks good!" - Mom <--- Always the supportive one.

Level
    Level completed: 83%, Points required for next Level: 26
    Achievements:
    1 year registered1000 Experience Points
    I believe BC does make a 2nd gen. Legacy specific coilover. You might also look up Feal 441s. Made with imported components but use Swift springs and are rebuildable in the states. $1350 shipped.
    1996 Outback 5 speed
    1997 Legacy L wagon 5 speed Member's Ride I thread

"You want a real kick? You go Bernoulli." Pops Racer

Level
    Level completed: 6%, Points required for next Level: 94
    Achievements:
    500 Experience Points1 year registered
    Check out the Feals. Best bang for your buck, IMO

Sent from my HTC6525LVW using Tapatalk

New User
    Level
    Level completed: 25%, Points required for next Level: 151
    Achievements:
    O.G.5000 Experience Points
    I'd go BC BR with swift springs. They come with extreme lows if your friend wants to hurt feelings.
    ISCs are starting to get more and more popular recently, great customer service.
    Fortune 500 are a good choice I've seen a lot of people happy with them.

There's a lot of options for that budget.

Level
    Level completed: 83%, Points required for next Level: 26
    Achievements:
    1 year registered1000 Experience Points
    Correct me if I'm wrong but after doing research, the SS brake lines for my 2nd gen wagon also fit the GC chassis Impeza. Also, the GC Impreza front top hats give the correct orientation for camber adjustment. If so, then look for GC Impreza specific coilovers and you won't have to zip tie your brake lines or dink with front camber plate angles. You would however have to use GD chassis rear top hats. Of course if wrong, I completely deny ever writing this. Also the BC Racing coilovers have this as a package.
    1996 Outback 5 speed
    1997 Legacy L wagon 5 speed Member's Ride I thread

"You want a real kick? You go Bernoulli." Pops Racer