Thread: DIY: BE/BH Flip Key/Switchblade Key Mod

Level
    Level completed: 33%, Points required for next Level: 134
    Achievements:
    5000 Experience PointsO.G.

DIY: BE/BH Flip Key/Switchblade Key Mod

Hi SL-i, I'm Lancaster6. You might remember me from such threads as "Lancaster6's 2004 USDM Lancaster6" and "FS in NJ: Beige Interior BH Blowout" and today I'm here to teach you the ins and outs of my flip key for my BH that I've recently been getting messages about.

Before getting to the nitty gritty of this extremely easy but sparsely discussed mod, here are a few shots of the finished product. (Just in case you need some motivation to pull the trigger on this).

Key2 by ConnorSouchek, on Flickr

Key1 by ConnorSouchek, on Flickr

Now I know that you may be having such thoughts as:
    Looks wicked expensive, how much does this mod cost? Less than fifty dollary-doos!
    I'm a busy guy/girl, how much time will I spend on this? Less than an hour!
    Do I need to be a rocket scientist to do this mod?? Absolutely not! If you have successfully programmed key fobs for your vehicle in the past then you have already experienced the most complicated part of this mod (aside from getting the spring reseated...more on that later).

What do I need??
    I used this kit on eBay that I found in a NASIOC post...make sure you specify to the seller that you need the NON-laser key blade blank*!! The link to the NASIOC DIY is on the eBay listing page too: Subaru Flip Key Shell Conversion Kit. And the NASIOC thread on the subject: Switchblade Key

Name:  T2eC16Jw0E9szNVeBRGUuH5g60_57_zpse9xiuiho.jpg
Views: 525
Size:  94.8 KB
    I stole this pic from eBay...sorry.

Then I ordered this key fob: 2009 Legacy Key Fob. This key has FCC ID CWTWBU766*, and there are others that have different IDs, so I'm not sure if others of varying IDs are compatible. But through my research and experience fobs with FCC ID CWTWBU766 are compatible with the BE/BH Alpine keyless entry system. I had to trim some plastic off of the key fob transponder with an exacto knife so it would fit cleanly into the flip key shell...ymmv though. (Note: you only need the actual transponder part of this, the shell and attached key blank can be thrown out, cut for use as a spare, etc).

Name:  _57_zpsemrwth6d.jpg
Views: 551
Size:  70.6 KB
    Whoops...this one too.

*This process is specific to the BE/BH Alpine keyless entry system!! This mod can absolutely be applied to generations after BE/BH (sorry 1st and 2nd gen guys), but laser key blanks and different fobs may be needed and the cost will climb as laser cut keys can be a bit pricier to cut.

The mailman just dropped off the goods..now what??
    When your flip key set and actual key fob comes in the mail you'll have to get the blade cut and I strongly recommend NOT securing the blank in the Flip Key until you get it cut! I tried all of the big box home improvement stores with key cutting kiosks but they wouldn't touch it with a 10 foot pole...some excuse about it not being their own blank so they wouldn't do it, or the machine wasn't configured to fit that shape of blank, yadda yadda yadda. I eventually took it to a competent locksmith and they had it cut in 30 seconds without a blink of an eye for less than $3. So just something to think about before driving all around gods creation wasting time and patience. After that it's easy to secure it in the flip mechanism, assemble, and program the fob!

It's worthwhile to carefully take apart your flip key when you first get it in the mail. The spring that causes the key to flip is preloaded and inserted in a special way. There is a part of the spring that is bent inwards and should line up with a notch on the inside of the flip key. Taking it apart slowly and carefully does two things:
    1) It prevents important bits of your key fob from being jettisoned into the stratosphere as the spring tension releases (I know this from experience) and....
    2) It lets you examine the orientation of the spring so you can re-preload the spring when putting your finished key fob back together.

Assembly is as easy as inserting the fob, making sure the key won't fly off, and snapping the back cover on. Secure it with the included screws.

And that's it! Now you have a functioning, clean flip key for your Subaru.
    Last edited by Lancaster6; 07-21-2015 at 05:27 PM.
    Lowered Lancaster6 Wannabe

2004 Outback H6
    2012 Fancy Honda

Level
    Level completed: 31%, Points required for next Level: 278
    Achievements:
    O.G.10000 Experience Points
    Anyone else have any success programming? Can't seem to get CWTWBU766 to program to a 01 or 02...
    97 RHD SOLD
    99 RHD SOLD
    01 Outback SOLD
    01 LGT SOLD

New User
    Level
    Level completed: 88%, Points required for next Level: 6
    Achievements:
    7 days registered100 Experience Points
    Quote Originally Posted by Matty2Hotty View Post
    Anyone else have any success programming? Can't seem to get CWTWBU766 to program to a 01 or 02...
    I just got my transponder today. The back has the code FCC ID: CWTWBU766... I can't seem to get it to program either. Did you have any luck?

New User
    Level
    Achievements:
    Name:  20170215_223607.jpg
Views: 377
Size:  658.3 KBName:  20170215_223624.jpg
Views: 416
Size:  635.1 KB

Any idea why I can't get mine to program? It looks like the same one you have, matching FCC ID and all.

New User
    Level
    Achievements:
    I got it to work! I just needed to replace the battery and the transponder programmed to my 2001 OB on the first try! Not a bad way to spend $50... Thanks again for posting this mod Lancaster6!