Thread: Custom rear Speaker Spacers/Adapters for 2nd Gen

"FNG"
    Level
    Level completed: 86%, Points required for next Level: 21
    Achievements:
    1000 Experience PointsVeteran

Exclamation Custom rear Speaker Spacers/Adapters for 2nd Gen

I wanted to run some 6.5" alpines (SPS-610) in the rear doors of my wagon but I couldn't find anyone who made adapters for the rear on the 2nd Gens. I recently bought a 3D printer so I designed and printed my own:

Level
    Level completed: 27%, Points required for next Level: 110
    Achievements:
    1000 Experience Points1 year registered
    Any plans on selling some?

I think I drilled mine right into the door

Level
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Achievements:
    25000 Experience PointsO.G.Overdrive
    That would be a good idea - there's definitely a market for these.
    ~Mark [SLi Admin]
    2015 Dodge Charger AWD
    2008 Subaru Tribeca Limited, 7 passenger w/ Navigation

Former vehicles:
    03 Forester
    95 Legacy Outback

"FNG"
    Level
    Achievements:
    I hadn't really thought about it... I don't think I'm really equipped to make a whole lot of them on my printer (takes about 5 hours to print one spacer) but I think I could upload the design to shapeways and people could buy them there... I'll look into it this weekend

Level
    Level completed: 47%, Points required for next Level: 107
    Achievements:
    Created Blog entryO.G.5000 Experience PointsTagger Second Class
    Awards:
    King of Publishing
    Thats awesome.. Just one more point I have in convincing myself that I need to buy a 3D printer...... Or build one. But I really Like the Makerbot2
    Ruby 2.0 1999 Legacy Outback LTD: Getting Ruby 1.5's drive train.
    Ruby, 1998 Legacy Outback: officially a turbo car. Wounded, but being brought back.
    Courtney, 1997 Legacy Outback: DD and off road fun. Going to my sister for a reliable beast.
    Green Machine, 1998 Legacy L wagon: Only one I could not save... She is giving life to others.
    Sapphie, 1962 Nova: Going to be my Daughters sweet ride.

"FNG"
    Level
    Achievements:
    Quote Originally Posted by meepers View Post
    Thats awesome.. Just one more point I have in convincing myself that I need to buy a 3D printer...... Or build one. But I really Like the Makerbot2
    I bought a rigidBot because it has a nice 10x10x10 build area and was on sale for $580 shipped.

if I were to do it again I would have bought the basic kit, for $300 (which excludes the hot end and the electronics) and then bought an E3D V6 hot-end, Meanwell power supply and a RAMPs or Smoothie board. I haven't had any problems yet but I've read a lot of people that have had issues with the power supply and hot end and control board. I'm already looking at these upgrades just for the added functionality and reliability.

It's a A LOT of work to get these things up and running though. Took about 5 hours just to piece together the kit and then a whole weekend to figure out all of the software and get the thing calibrated. and even after all that there are still areas where I could make some huge improvements just in the setup but I haven't yet figured everything out... there's LOTS to learn.

Level
    Achievements:
    Awards:
    King of Publishing
    Quote Originally Posted by twistedsymphony View Post
    I bought a rigidBot because it has a nice 10x10x10 build area and was on sale for $580 shipped.

if I were to do it again I would have bought the basic kit, for $300 (which excludes the hot end and the electronics) and then bought an E3D V6 hot-end, Meanwell power supply and a RAMPs or Smoothie board. I haven't had any problems yet but I've read a lot of people that have had issues with the power supply and hot end and control board. I'm already looking at these upgrades just for the added functionality and reliability.

It's a A LOT of work to get these things up and running though. Took about 5 hours just to piece together the kit and then a whole weekend to figure out all of the software and get the thing calibrated. and even after all that there are still areas where I could make some huge improvements just in the setup but I haven't yet figured everything out... there's LOTS to learn.
    Yeah, I have done a bunch of reading on the printers. It looks like getting the unit setup and calibrated properly makes for a long day. And most of the complaints I have read online about the assemble/premade units are all about them not being precise because they were not setup. Also I want a dual filiment/head extruder. I am tempted at just building one as there ar a bajillion resources, but I dunno.
    Ruby, 1998 Legacy Outback: officially a turbo car. Wounded, but being brought back.
    Courtney, 1997 Legacy Outback: DD and off road fun. Going to my sister for a reliable beast.
    Green Machine, 1998 Legacy L wagon: Only one I could not save... She is giving life to others.

"FNG"
    Level
    Achievements:
    Yeah, I have done a bunch of reading on the printers. It looks like getting the unit setup and calibrated properly makes for a long day. And most of the complaints I have read online about the assemble/premade units are all about them not being precise because they were not setup. Also I want a dual filiment/head extruder. I am tempted at just building one as there ar a bajillion resources, but I dunno.
    They make a few different dual extruder kits for the RigidBot... I've been looking into the benefits of the dual extruders and it seems like more trouble than it's worth in most cases. supposedly there are issues with the 2nd extruder dragging across the area where the other extrude has already printed, and you also lose 2-4" of print area in the X dimension due to the added space of the 2nd print head.

being able to print two colors or two different materials in the same part seems to have limited usage but being able to set a small nozzle (For exterior details) and a fat nozzle (for fill speed) seems to be most beneficial use of it.

Level
    Achievements:
    How much would you say it costs you to make each set (2) of speaker spacers?

If you're going around $20-30 (so including a bit of profit for your time), you could definitely sell some. The only ones I've found online that work with Subarus are the paranoid fabrications (made of PVC) and SeaScooby makes some out of plywood on SubaruForester.org. These really look like they'd be quite a bit better than either of those.
    ~Mark [SLi Admin]
    2015 Dodge Charger AWD

Former vehicles:
    03 Forester
    95 Legacy Outback

"FNG"
    Level
    Achievements:
    Apparently Shapeways wants $44 per spacer to make and resell them that's with $0 profit for me... not exactly viable sadly

Level
    Achievements:
    Awards:
    King of Publishing
    They make a few different dual extruder kits for the RigidBot... I've been looking into the benefits of the dual extruders and it seems like more trouble than it's worth in most cases. supposedly there are issues with the 2nd extruder dragging across the area where the other extrude has already printed, and you also lose 2-4" of print area in the X dimension due to the added space of the 2nd print head.

being able to print two colors or two different materials in the same part seems to have limited usage but being able to set a small nozzle (For exterior details) and a fat nozzle (for fill speed) seems to be most beneficial use of it.

Thanks twisted, I never really considered those issues with the dual head. With any lick I will be picking one up soon. I like the looks of the rigid bot units. I think I'll start with a single head and get good at it before upgrading. I love Sli. Best group of people on the web.

Level
    Achievements:
    Apparently Shapeways wants $44 per spacer to make and resell them that's with $0 profit for me... not exactly viable sadly
    Jeez. That's too bad - there's definitely no market for $90+ spacers per pair.
    ~Mark [SLi Admin]
    2015 Dodge Charger AWD

Former vehicles:
    03 Forester
    95 Legacy Outback

"FNG"
    Level
    Achievements:
    Thanks twisted, I never really considered those issues with the dual head. With any lick I will be picking one up soon. I like the looks of the rigid bot units. I think I'll start with a single head and get good at it before upgrading. I love Sli. Best group of people on the web.
    there's a google+ group called rigid talk... definitely check that out before you buy... it's worth looking up the issues people have with the heated bed cable and the power supply just so you know what you're getting into.

this write up on the rigid bot was really helpful to me too: http://www.tysonmessori.org/Engineer...cts/3d-printer

So far I'm really happy with it, but it's definitely not a consumer level product, it requires some tweaking and fixing out of the box, mostly in regards to the electronics.

Quote Originally Posted by Wiscon_Mark View Post
    Jeez. That's too bad - there's definitely no market for $90+ spacers per pair.
    At some point I plan to upgrade my setup to include a web-cam and a more reliable power supply once I do that I can run prints safely while I'm at work and I might look into the costs of making these myself. I don't have the funds to upgrade yet and I don't really trust the printer enough to run completely unattended right now though...

Level
    Achievements:
    Awards:
    King of Publishing
    there's a google+ group called rigid talk... definitely check that out before you buy... it's worth looking up the issues people have with the heated bed cable and the power supply just so you know what you're getting into.

this write up on the rigid bot was really helpful to me too: http://www.tysonmessori.org/Engineer...cts/3d-printer

So far I'm really happy with it, but it's definitely not a consumer level product, it requires some tweaking and fixing out of the box, mostly in regards to the electronics.

At some point I plan to upgrade my setup to include a web-cam and a more reliable power supply once I do that I can run prints safely while I'm at work and I might look into the costs of making these myself. I don't have the funds to upgrade yet and I don't really trust the printer enough to run completely unattended right now though...
    I will check out the forum today. Consumer level doesnt bother me, I got into arduino boards a little while ago and was considering building one from scratch, but it seemed like getting a kit was a better option to start. After the 3d printer, I want to build a mini CNC machine. It sure comes in handy being able to make small parts/bushings/spacers and having things done with precision.

"FNG"
    Level
    Achievements:
    I will check out the forum today. Consumer level doesnt bother me, I got into arduino boards a little while ago and was considering building one from scratch, but it seemed like getting a kit was a better option to start. After the 3d printer, I want to build a mini CNC machine. It sure comes in handy being able to make small parts/bushings/spacers and having things done with precision.
    One of the upgrades suggested in that second link is replacing the Rigidbot main board with a SmoothieBoard. I'm considering doing this on mine as it's a much nicer board but it's a $175 ... the interesting thing about it though is that it's designed to be used in CNC applications as well... As I mentioned before Had I read some of this stuff before I bought my RigidBot kit I would have got the bare bones kit and bought the hot end and electronics separately... ultimately it would have cost me only $150 or so over what I paid for the kit but I would have had nearly $400 worth of upgrades.

"FNG"
    Level
    Achievements:
    Since people seem interested I've worked out the kinks and made a few pairs for sale: https://sl-i.net/FORUM/showthread.ph...acers-Adapters

Level
    Level completed: 60%, Points required for next Level: 80
    Achievements:
    O.G.5000 Experience Points
    Quote Originally Posted by Wiscon_Mark View Post
    How much would you say it costs you to make each set (2) of speaker spacers?

If you're going around $20-30 (so including a bit of profit for your time), you could definitely sell some. The only ones I've found online that work with Subarus are the paranoid fabrications (made of PVC) and SeaScooby makes some out of plywood on SubaruForester.org. These really look like they'd be quite a bit better than either of those.
    subaruaudio.net also makes them. http://www.subaruaudio.net/subaru-speaker-spacers/

I happen to run that site so I have a bit of experience in the area.

I have to admit that my offset rear adapters are not terribly "pretty" but they are functional and there is no charge for custom cutouts. My front adapters are fairly universal.

"FNG"
    Level
    Achievements:
    @phenryiv1
    I ordered your front spacers for my legacy they fit pretty well. I don't see any 2nd gen legacy rear spacers available on your site. Had you offered them I probably would have just ordered a couple instead of making my own. It was a fun project to test out my new 3D printer anyway

Level
    Level completed: 60%, Points required for next Level: 80
    Achievements:
    O.G.5000 Experience Points
    @phenryiv1
    I ordered your front spacers for my legacy they fit pretty well. I don't see any 2nd gen legacy rear spacers available on your site. Had you offered them I probably would have just ordered a couple instead of making my own. It was a fun project to test out my new 3D printer anyway
    I thought that they were on there, at least listed in the available applications. But that may have been in my "changes to be made" list. My brother is (was?) my webmaster but he just wrapped up law school and took a job plus has been studying for the bar so the site is a bit behind.

At any rate, your adapters look awesome. I considered 3D printing and CNC router fabrication for my adapters but the startup cost is really high. I can churn them out quickly by hand and the downtime to set up a large CNC woudl have me so far behind on my regular orders that I'd take weeks to get out of the hole.

Glad that those fronts worked out for you.