Thread: suspension options, PLEASE HELP! (BH)

"FNG"
    Level
    Level completed: 15%, Points required for next Level: 85
    Achievements:
    Tagger Second Class1000 Experience Points1 year registered

suspension options, PLEASE HELP! (BH)

Quote Originally Posted by meepers View Post
    02-07 rex parts will not work for him. He has a 2000 wagon. H&R springs and some AGX adjustables with proper setup will be very good. I LOVED my H&R springs, and have run them on my Galant, Integra, WRX, and Magnum. I was going to get a set for my Legacy, but ended up finding some feal revalved STI struts on RCE Blacks.
    Hey do you know where I can get agx struts at?

Level
    Level completed: 62%, Points required for next Level: 383
    Achievements:
    10000 Experience PointsO.G.SocialOverdrive
    Quote Originally Posted by dylen_bradley42 View Post
    Hey do you know where I can get agx struts at?
    Here is a great source for information on AGX struts: http://bfy.tw/44GT

"FNG"
    Level
    Achievements:
    Quote Originally Posted by rkrenicki View Post
    Here is a great source for information on AGX struts: http://bfy.tw/44GT
    Thanks!

"FNG"
    Level
    Achievements:

suspension options, PLEASE HELP! (BH)

Hey guys I'm fairly new to the forum and I'm looking to lower my car/have an aggressive wheel setup for this summer. Sadly i am on a budget so please keep that in mind! i have a few ideas lingering in my head but i really need y'alls input.

1) Kyb gr2s with ground control lowering springs. (problem is i don't know where to get a ground control kit for our cars)

2) Kyb gr2s with lowering springs with high spring rate

3) Bilstein struts w/ lowering springs (iso springs with a high spring rate so i can run pretty beefy wheels)

4) coilovers...trying to stay away from them if i can

At the very most I'm trying to drop the car 1 to 2 inches. my goal is to run 17x9-10's or 18x9-10's...yes i understand offset and tire size is a factor, I'm still working on it. Also i know i will probably have to roll and flare my fenders, already have the proper equipment for it. Input needed guys!:smt111

Level
    Level completed: 83%, Points required for next Level: 34
    Achievements:
    5000 Experience PointsVeteran
    As far as I know, most lowering springs won't really give you the spring rate, they just say the amount of drop they provide, and I believe that most of them will have progressive spring rates to provide a more comfortable ride as opposed to linear springs which are more predictable in a performance situation. You can get a pretty good drop with GR2s and lowering springs though.

Why the baller wheel size? If performance is what you're after then you're headed the wrong way, scrub radius is gonna be way off in the front, and linear spring rates/coilovers are typically gonna give the best response for handling performance. That's not to say that struts + springs can't handle good, a nice strut + spring set up will most likely provide better performance than my BC racing coils. If it's a stance thing then go for it, but most stance guys are running coilovers anyways to dial height, and camber in more easily, not to mention the fact that you can custom order coilovers with various spring rates so you know exactly what you're getting (unless you get racelands). So you could order a high spring rate like 10k, 12k, 16k etc to help prevent the suspension from compressing and buckling fenders and bottoming out.

Whatever the case may be, if you're going to run a crazy wheel spec like that, don't go cheap, chances are you're going to regret one of the purchases down the road and end up having wasted that money because now you have to upgrade.

From a quick google search this car has 18x9 +15, so get ready to chop the quarter panels and fenders:
    Name:  IMG_3828_zps87ed9024.jpg
Views: 98
Size:  82.8 KB
    1999 Outback On BC Racing coilovers and Desmond Regamasters

"You ruined your car" - Dad
    "Your car looks good!" - Mom <--- Always the supportive one.

Level
    Level completed: 6%, Points required for next Level: 188
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points
    Methinks you will rub like crazy. I would look into coilovers. They can be had for cheap, the reason all the dudes with crazy specs run them is so they can adjust their setup easily. Plus I think you will find more examples of similar setups that way. And you can flip em quicker if you change your mind.

- - - Updated - - -

Keep us posted!

"FNG"
    Level
    Achievements:
    Quote Originally Posted by foohfooh View Post
    Methinks you will rub like crazy. I would look into coilovers. They can be had for cheap, the reason all the dudes with crazy specs run them is so they can adjust their setup easily. Plus I think you will find more examples of similar setups that way. And you can flip em quicker if you change your mind.

- - - Updated - - -

Keep us posted!
    i just bought a set of wheels that were 17x10 with a +15 offset. So now I'm going to save for a set of coilovers for sure. thanks for the input!

"FNG"
    Level
    Achievements:
    Quote Originally Posted by KNaph View Post
    As far as I know, most lowering springs won't really give you the spring rate, they just say the amount of drop they provide, and I believe that most of them will have progressive spring rates to provide a more comfortable ride as opposed to linear springs which are more predictable in a performance situation. You can get a pretty good drop with GR2s and lowering springs though.

Why the baller wheel size? If performance is what you're after then you're headed the wrong way, scrub radius is gonna be way off in the front, and linear spring rates/coilovers are typically gonna give the best response for handling performance. That's not to say that struts + springs can't handle good, a nice strut + spring set up will most likely provide better performance than my BC racing coils. If it's a stance thing then go for it, but most stance guys are running coilovers anyways to dial height, and camber in more easily, not to mention the fact that you can custom order coilovers with various spring rates so you know exactly what you're getting (unless you get racelands). So you could order a high spring rate like 10k, 12k, 16k etc to help prevent the suspension from compressing and buckling fenders and bottoming out.

Whatever the case may be, if you're going to run a crazy wheel spec like that, don't go cheap, chances are you're going to regret one of the purchases down the road and end up having wasted that money because now you have to upgrade.

From a quick google search this car has 18x9 +15, so get ready to chop the quarter panels and fenders:
    Name:  IMG_3828_zps87ed9024.jpg
Views: 98
Size:  82.8 KB
    as of right now I'm trying to go for the functional stance look. at the same time i plan on doing fender flares which i already have in my basement. I'm definitely going to be getting coil overs now that i just bought 17x10's yesterday. i appreciate the help man.

"FNG"
    Level
    Level completed: 45%, Points required for next Level: 83
    Achievements:
    1 year registered1000 Experience Points
    whoa
    might chime in on this just for a bit
    im running 4th gen bilsteins
    with the oem spec b springs it dropped the car more than KYB-GR2 and H&R springs set up
    that car was SUPER comfy too boot!
    this is the ride height i ended up with
    Name:  20160110_004202.jpg
Views: 81
Size:  3.03 MB
    /o/ hates everything /o/ cant afford

Level
    Level completed: 88%, Points required for next Level: 18
    Achievements:
    1000 Experience PointsVeteran
    17x10 +15?

Have fun with that... I did a ton of work to fit 17x9 +15 in the rear, and still haven't swapped my adjustable arms in yet. Fronts have even less room...

"FNG"
    Level
    Achievements:
    Quote Originally Posted by yaya View Post
    17x10 +15?

Have fun with that... I did a ton of work to fit 17x9 +15 in the rear, and still haven't swapped my adjustable arms in yet. Fronts have even less room...
    What did you have to do to fit them?

Level
    Achievements:
    Quote Originally Posted by dylen_bradley42 View Post
    What did you have to do to fit them?
    Without adding adjustable arms, all you can do is roll/pull the rear quarter panels. There is no factory camber adjustment in the rear, and the toe adjustment is minimal at best.

"FNG"
    Level
    Achievements:
    Quote Originally Posted by yaya View Post
    Without adding adjustable arms, all you can do is roll/pull the rear quarter panels. There is no factory camber adjustment in the rear, and the toe adjustment is minimal at best.
    That makes sense. I plan on doing fender flares anyways, mostly because my rear quarter panels around the fender are pretty beaten up already.

"FNG"
    Level
    Achievements:
    Quote Originally Posted by JazzMunkyy View Post
    whoa
    might chime in on this just for a bit
    im running 4th gen bilsteins
    with the oem spec b springs it dropped the car more than KYB-GR2 and H&R springs set up
    that car was SUPER comfy too boot!
    this is the ride height i ended up with
    Name:  20160110_004202.jpg
Views: 81
Size:  3.03 MB
    Wow a white legacy, I haven't seen one of those yet. That is actually a pretty good drop in height. But I have my mind already set on coilovers because of the wheel set up I'm going with

Level
    Achievements:
    You can throw rear camber bolts in, I have Eibachs and I was able to get about -3.5 degrees in the rear according to the alignment rack. Other than that you're going to need adjustable arms, and chances are the bolts are gonna be seized so toe adjustment is gonna be a no-go anyways. Mine were frozen solid, but my toe was zeroed out so I didn't have to mess with those.

I drive a 2nd gen wagon though, I don't know how much bigger the 3rd gen bodies are and I don't know how much the suspension was updated.

If you get coilovers then you should have enough camber adjustment in the front from camber bolts + camber plates to give you a more track oriented stance. In the rear you might be able to order rear camber plates and adjust from there, but if not, camber bolts should help do the trick. Like I said, I had about -3.5 degrees rear camber according to the alignment rack.

My setup isn't as aggressive as yaya's though.

Level
    Achievements:
    Quote Originally Posted by KNaph View Post
    You can throw rear camber bolts in, I have Eibachs and I was able to get about -3.5 degrees in the rear according to the alignment rack. Other than that you're going to need adjustable arms, and chances are the bolts are gonna be seized so toe adjustment is gonna be a no-go anyways. Mine were frozen solid, but my toe was zeroed out so I didn't have to mess with those.

I drive a 2nd gen wagon though, I don't know how much bigger the 3rd gen bodies are and I don't know how much the suspension was updated.

If you get coilovers then you should have enough camber adjustment in the front from camber bolts + camber plates to give you a more track oriented stance. In the rear you might be able to order rear camber plates and adjust from there, but if not, camber bolts should help do the trick. Like I said, I had about -3.5 degrees rear camber according to the alignment rack.

My setup isn't as aggressive as yaya's though.
    Rear is multi-link on the 3rd gen, just like the newer legacies. So, no traditional camber bolts. Whiteline does make an eccentric bushing that goes in the upper arm, but I don't think it will get him the adjustment he's going to need. Megan racing makes an adjustable upper arm for the rear that offers more adjustment.

"FNG"
    Level
    Achievements:

Godspeed Monomax coilovers

Has anybody used, or have Monomax coilovers? I've seen some sites that have them up for sale but Idk if anybody on here has ever used them before. If you have, what's your take on them?

Level
    Level completed: 62%, Points required for next Level: 383
    Achievements:
    10000 Experience PointsO.G.SocialOverdrive
    Please keep all of your questions in one place, you do not need to start a new thread anytime you come up with a new version of the same question.

I have merged everything together into this one thread.

As for your question, I know nothing about Monomax coils, but someone else here might be able to weigh in on it.

Level
    Achievements:
    I have no experience with Monomax coilovers, but they are made by Godspeed Performance, who don't necessarily have the greatest reputation for making amazing parts, a few of my friends went the cheaper route and bought Godspeed control arms and ended up having to fight the dealer. One of my friends ended up getting shipped the wrong control arms 4 times before he finally asked for a refund. Another friend got parts that were damaged or seemed like they had been previously installed and removed and possibly returned.

So I haven't had personal experience with any of their parts, but I'm a bit hesitant to buy Godspeed parts just because of my friends prior experiences with those parts. Godspeed could have stepped up their build quality with these coilovers, but it could also just be low quality junk too. The price point that they're selling for is also a bit low so I wouldn't expect too much out of them.

I have BC Racing coilovers, and they are probably the lowest budget entry level coilovers that I would buy, they have a lot longer track record of satisfied customers over the years. BCs are usually right around the $900-$1000 price point but I bought mine through Import Image Racing and they were $850 shipped.

"FNG"
    Level
    Achievements: