I've been putting a JDM interior in my 2000 Legacy GT and I thought I'd just do a little writeup on how I modified the LH (now drivers) door panel to accept the full switch assembly. I basically tried to mimic what the RH door panel looks like - which is instead of having a seamless moulded plastic door panel, it's obvious there is a small plastic shroud secured to the panel to cover the lower part of the switch assembly.

The first thing I did was to drill out all of the melted plastic rivets on the back of the JDM panel to release the arm rest.

After removing the armrest, I'm left with a door panel which looks like this:

I then completely dissassembled and cut up a spare US drivers side door panel - Specifically, I wanted the US arm rest and a section of the attached plastic which covers the bottom of the switch assembly.

Here is a rough test fit:

I then spent some time with a belt sander and some fine sand paper feathering all the edges and getting a nice flush fit - the final look is here:

I painted the gray plastic with SEM color coat Landau Black. That color is a very good match for the black of the JDM interior plastics:

Here is the final product, all screwed back together.

Anyway, I hope this gives some people some different ideas on how to use the RHD parts in a US car.