Thread: eg33 and 05 wrx manual trans into 95 lsi

Level
    Level completed: 6%, Points required for next Level: 189
    Achievements:
    5000 Experience PointsO.G.

eg33 and 05 wrx manual trans into 95 lsi

My son and I will soon be starting the build of his first car . It is a 1995 legacy lsi sedan originally an automatic .As it sits it is basically a rolling shell complete with everything except an engine and drive train. We plan on pulling the donor engine and transmission in the next few weeks. The engine is going to be pulled out of a 92 svx and the transmission and rear is coming out of an 05 wrx. I plan on pulling as many associated parts as possible from both vehicles. Including the pedal box, the clutch master cylinder harnesses drive shaft wiring and the ecu. Does anyone have any advice for us as far as making it go as smoothly as possible .Or good links to some similar swaps . I know we have our work cut out for us
    Real cars wear pink!

Level
    Level completed: 14%, Points required for next Level: 173
    Achievements:
    1000 Experience Points1 year registered
    05 WRX is drive by wire, so keep in mind you can't use that accelerator pedal.

Also, I think the immobilizer was an option on the 05 WRX (became standard in 06) so if the one you are pulling from has it you'll need the immobilizer pieces.

Level
    Achievements:
    Yes I did think of that. The imobilizer shouldn't be an issue. I plan on pulling the ecu from the svx I'm still unsure if we are going to use the svx ecu or the ecu that is in the legacy. I have access to some other pedal boxes
    Real cars wear pink!

Level
    Achievements:
    Quote Originally Posted by stirally8 View Post
    Yes I did think of that. The imobilizer shouldn't be an issue. I plan on pulling the ecu from the svx I'm still unsure if we are going to use the svx ecu or the ecu that is in the legacy. I have access to some other pedal boxes
    Ah yeah, brain hiccup there.

95 was the first year of OBD2 though right? If you need OBD2 for emissions testing you'll need a plan to maintain that as that 92 ECU won't do it. I'm not sure if the late SVX models were OBD2, but that could be the solution.

Sent from my VS985 4G using Tapatalk

Level
    Achievements:
    If we use the svx ecu it won't be an issue. We are lucky enough to not have emissions testing in our county. Even if we did being that the car is a 95 it would just be a visual inspection. The county's that do have emissions only test 96 and newer. The ecu we will use will be dependent on which will be easier to make everything work.
    Real cars wear pink!

Level
    Level completed: 70%, Points required for next Level: 61
    Achievements:
    O.G.5000 Experience Points
    The 4-cylinder ECU is not compatible with the 6-cylinder engine. Looks like it'll be a cool project! Here's a quick overview on what you'll have to do:

Pedals:
    Pedal box from pretty much any car. Throttle pedal is separate so you can use the 06+ WRX DBW or 04+ STI DBW brake and clutch and keep your factory throttle pedal if necessary. 05 WRX will still be DBC and non-immobilizer, although that doesn't really matter since you won't need any wiring from this car.

Wiring:
    SVX engine harness and front harness stripped and broken down and merged into your Legacy harness. This will require complete dash removal. You'll need the factory wiring diagrams for both cars. The Legacy one you can get on this forum. While you're at it you can delete all the TCU/auto trans stuff from the Legacy harness.

Engine/Drivetrain:
    SVX engine, WRX trans and clutch and rear end, 5MT 95-99 Legacy driveshaft. The WRX driveshaft will be the wrong length. Everything else transmission related including shifter linkage from the WRX will work. All of your factory axles should work fine unless you have a stub rear diff now. I don't remember if 95s still have the stubbed diff, but if so you'll need the WRX rear axles as well.

Little Stuff:
    Radiator will need to be moved forward and have electric fans attached to the front side; the SVX engine is too long to use a factory radiator position. Lots of people end up using a slightly smaller radiator so they don't have to cut the core support. Custom A/C and power steering lines may need to be made. The PS reservoir will hit the hood, so you'll need to either find a shorter PS reservoir or swap to the newer remote reservoir style system. That's easy enough to do if you have access to any 00+ Outbacks/Legacys or take the one off the 05 WRX. The whole power steering system including lines from a newer car will bolt right up to your factory steering rack. You'll need a Dakota Digital SGI-8E tach adapter for the tach to read the 6-cylinder pulse output properly. Exhaust will need to be fabricated. Not sure if the SVX header works in the Legacy chassis, but even if it does you have to build an exhaust from the header back.
    99 Legacy GT WRX - Now for sale!
    05 Legacy GT Limited 5MT Wagon - Stock-ish.
    02 Outback Limited 5MT - Lifted, Dual Range
    84 Camaro Z28 - LS1/6-speed
    85 Silverado - Low and slow tow rig

Level
    Achievements:
    Thank you alphius. That's the type of stuff I was looking for. I was aware of the radiator issue and needing the rear ect. The power steering mod and the yacht issue are good to know. The car is basically complete the engine, transmission, rear and axles are gone. The ps and a/c are still connected. At least I have an idea of what specific parts I will need to pull
    Real cars wear pink!

Level
    Achievements:
    00-04 Legacy 5mt drive shafts also interchange. Don't get an outback drive shaft, the carrier bearing mount is different (lower) and will screw up the ds angle.

Sent from my VS985 4G using Tapatalk

Level
    Achievements:
    So we went on a 2 day junkyard shopping spree and acquired just about everything on the list. Managed to score everything for just under $400. With the cost of $150 for the car and another $150 for a bunch of gt parts so far my son has $700 invested. Still need motor mounts, manual drive shaft, front axles, ecu and a maf sensor, and the tach adapter. This thing is going to be bad ass
    Real cars wear pink!

Level
    Level completed: 86%, Points required for next Level: 28
    Achievements:
    You'd want to take the engine<->ecu portion of the SVX harness and strip everything else out, then merge that in place of the engine<->ecu portion of the legacy harness.
    i personally would begin by pulling a complete 95 legacy harness from a manual transmission 95 legacy, merging that with the svx harness, then stripping the whole automatic harness out of the 95 LSi. then you will have a much less complicated wiring situation without all the automatic transmission wiring from the LSi mucking things up.

you can use any motor mounts, probably WRX ones would be recommended.
    driveshaft any 95-99 legacy manual transmission driveshaft (non outback)
    front axles from a 2005-2007 impreza *wagon* (so you get the male ends on the transmission side for your 05 wrx trans)
    "tach adapter"? you probably need the cable speed sensor for the transmission, or just swap the one out of your LSi transmission (or maybe out of the SVX transmission?)

Level
    Level completed: 36%, Points required for next Level: 128
    Achievements:
    O.G.5000 Experience Points
    There's quite a bit of EG33 swap information in a big H6 swap thread on RS25com - http://www.rs25.com/forums/f128/t843...ap-thread.html.
    Pat Olsen
    '97 Legacy 2.5GT sedan - RCE Tarmac2 coilovers, 4-pots front, H6 rears, '06 STI 6-speed, Quaife rear diff, mAd N/A powah!