Thread: Wiring in a Pioneer headunit into an LL Bean. Help Please

"FNG"
    Level
    Level completed: 89%, Points required for next Level: 22
    Achievements:
    O.G.5000 Experience Points

Wiring in a Pioneer headunit into an LL Bean. Help Please

I put in a pioneer headunit the other week and since doing so, I have noticed that my rear 6x9 "sub" speaker has stopped working work and the reception of the radio is horrible. I pulled it out and am trying to rewire it but im having some issues with a few of them.

1st issue: the rear speaker! In the schematic for the non mac radio, there is a sub but it has a completely different 8 wire connector (i64) seperate from the bigger one (i26) and the connector that you get from crutchfield. So where would i wire in the sub to make it work? On the i26 connector coming from the car, there is a Black/White wire (#7 position) that doesnt have a wire on the Crutchfield connector that I cant find on the schematic.

2nd issue: In the schematic, i cant find anything about a powered antenna, which is the only reason I can think of why with the new headunit i cant get good reception. On the Crutchfield adapater there is a blue wire that says power antenna and I am not sure where that goes.

anyone out there with some insight...i would greatly appreciate some feedback. Thanks
    06 SWP 2.5SE Legacy and 06 AW 2.5i Impreza

Level
    Level completed: 62%, Points required for next Level: 383
    Achievements:
    10000 Experience PointsO.G.SocialOverdrive
    Unfortunately, without some sort of amplifier, there is no way to get that rear "sub" to work. The stock radio (or the McIntosh Amp on cars equipped with it) has a 5th channel amplifier built in to drive it. i64 should only have two wires, and those go straight back to that speaker.

Pin 7 on i26 is "Illumination Ground", which aftermarket radios do not require. Actually, most Subaru radios don't use it either, but some of the earlier units did. It can be safely ignored.

The Glass Antenna Amplifier is powered by pin 14 of i26, and should be the blue wire on your adapter. Connect it to the blue or blue/white wire coming off of your head unit, whichever one is designated for "Power Antenna".

"FNG"
    Level
    Achievements:
    I appreciate the reply. Im not at home right now to look at my notes that i took from what i found while digging around back there this weekend, but i am pretty sure i didnt see a blue or blue/white wire on the stock harness. Ill post up what i have a bit later.

but as far as the "sub" goes, the unit i have does have a built in amp of 50Wx4. What i think i may do is put the 2 wires in the schematic for the rear speaker in with the wires for the right rear door speaker and see how that goes.

Level
    Achievements:
    I wouldn't run two speakers (the door speaker AND the sub) off of one channel. That will throw the impedance off for that channel, and overly tax that one channel of the amplifier. It will likely end up damaging the amplifier, and will definitely throw off the sound imaging.

The stock harness has no blue wire, I am talking about the blue wire off of your crutchfield supplied harness. Radios are really just a match-the-colors game if you have both harnesses (which it sounds like you do), don't overthink it.

"FNG"
    Level
    Achievements:
    Function-----------OEM pin/color----------Metra (front crutchfield)

Illumination----------1) V------------------Or
    RH Front speaker----2) RY-----------------Gr
    LH Front speaker----3) BrW----------------W
    RH Rear speaker----4) LbY-----------------V
    LH Rear speaker-----5) WR----------------G
    Batt-------------------6) LbR----------------Y
    Who knows---------7) BW----------------NOTHING
    RH Front speaker----8) WB----------------GrB
    LH Front speaker----9) G-------------------WB
    Ignition-------------10) YG------------------R
    Ground--------------11) B-------------------B
    RH Rear speaker----12) RW----------------VB
    LH Rear speaker----13) RB-----------------GB
    Radio Amp?---------14) G-------------------L On the schematic it says 14 is radio amp but on the metra for that pin it says power antenna?

On the pioneer harness the one that is getting me is the LB wire which is labeled "System remote control"! The others i get, the reverse gear signal for backup camera and the ebrake one...those are all labeled but the rest I figured out as i had the thing going for a week...without the sub

Level
    Achievements:
    I had already explained pin 7, "Illumination Ground". Aftermarket radios do not need it, so there will not be a pin there on the metra harness. You can safely just ignore it.

Radio Amp/Power Antenna are the same thing. It is a power wire to either raise a power antenna, power an antenna amplifier and/or turn on a remote amplifier. If you read your installation manual, it says something along the lines of this:
    Quote Originally Posted by Pioneer Installation Manual
    Blue/white (SYSTEM REMOTE CONTROL)
    To auto-antenna relay control terminal or antenna booster power control terminal (max. 300 mA 12 V DC). If the vehicle has a glass antenna, connect to the antenna booster power control terminal (max. 300 mA 12 V DC)
    Pioneer words the wire a little oddly, but You have a glass antenna, so... Connect the blue wires to each other, and your radio will work.. trust me.

"FNG"
    Level
    Achievements:
    AWESOME! Thanks!