Thread: No Hot Start

Level
    Level completed: 44%, Points required for next Level: 112
    Achievements:
    5000 Experience PointsO.G.

No Hot Start

Ok guys, I know I haven't been around in a while, still alive and kicking, and that car is, sort of......
    Anyways car acted up a while back, then it was good for a while but now back to not so good. Some of this is copy and past from Nasioc as I made a thread there in pre-2002 turbo forum but figured I'd post on here as well. The car is a 98 LGT w/96 ej20g engine/ecu/wiring

First time had this problem was this last summer in the heat, car sat for a few days in warm temps (90+) and humidity, would crank but no start. Waited 10 minutes then kind of stumbled but did start. I don't drive the car much in the summer so fast forward to the now.
    Shut the car off with warm/normal running engine temps (outside temps in the 30's F lately) run in somewhere 5 minutes come back and crank check light blinks slowly but no start again. I open the hood let sit 5 minutes, stumbles but starts. When the car is running it performs great and no check light on. So it seems something is not liking heat. Have tried a few times where I go for a drive then park in the garage where I can check things but always starts in the garage even when hot.

So I had pulled both the cam and crank sensors inspected and cleaned them (figured might have belt dust or something) and all was good for a couple months, now it's back to doing the same thing. Went to plug in the obdI connectors to get the codes and can not find two black connectors that would plug in together. I took a couple pictures for reference.

First picture is of a black female connector but has fairly thick gauge and doesn't seem to be a diagnostic connector.

Next is another black female plug that does look like diagnostic connector just nothing I can find to plug it into.

Last picture is some sort of connector, not sure what it is.

Now one thing I noticed, again car is a 98 (engine/ecu/wiring is a 96 that has been spliced in) so I did plug into the obdII port and does have power to to my scan tool but no connection, I'm guessing that just still has power from factory setup? Anyways, if anyone knows for sure the second picture is at least one of the connectors that should be plugged in to get codes I can start tearing more into the dash to find the other half.

Level
    Level completed: 62%, Points required for next Level: 383
    Achievements:
    10000 Experience PointsO.G.SocialOverdrive
    I do not know what the first one is. Does that blue wire have a stripe on it?

The middle picture looks like on of the grounds judging by the gauge of the wire. If it is, it should be connected to the body of the car right next to the ABS computer to the left of where that connector is.

The bottom picture is the Subaru Select Monitor diagnostic plug.

Level
    Level completed: 44%, Points required for next Level: 112
    Achievements:
    5000 Experience PointsO.G.
    Quote Originally Posted by rkrenicki View Post
    I do not know what the first one is. Does that blue wire have a stripe on it?

The middle picture looks like on of the grounds judging by the gauge of the wire. If it is, it should be connected to the body of the car right next to the ABS computer to the left of where that connector is.

The bottom picture is the Subaru Select Monitor diagnostic plug.
    The blue does not have a stripe on it, other wire would make sense for abs, which was disconnected due to the swap.

Level
    Level completed: 62%, Points required for next Level: 383
    Achievements:
    10000 Experience PointsO.G.SocialOverdrive
    It is not an ABS wire, but a system ground which just attaches near the ABS computer.