Thread: 02 WRX to 98 Outback swap questions

New User
    Level
    Level completed: 11%, Points required for next Level: 89
    Achievements:
    1 year registered1000 Experience Points

02 WRX to 98 Outback swap questions

Hi everyone, im in the middle of doing a 02 wrx swap into my 98 Outback and i've got a few questions i could use some help with. i've tried looking but maybe someone could point me in the right direction.

Edit: Quick swap notes
    98 5spd Outback
    02 WRX Donor
    Iwire merged Harness
    using Outback trans/diff

i swapped the complete wrx gas tank over including the fuel pump assembly. I have the hose routing figure out but I was just reading that the wiring at the connector for the fuel pump/sender may be different. Can someone confirm this?

This is the thread that made me start looking into this. Is this only a sti tank issue?

http://www.rs25.com/forums/f105/t196...tank-swap.html

my other issue is front axles. i have the whole front suspension swapped over but i dont have wrx front axles.( long story ) Is there a way to use the legacy axle with the WRX hubs? I believe I read somewhere that the abs tone ring is in a different location so I may not be able to. Also, can the abs sensors be swapped over?

I know I have a few more but i'll update later when I remember them.

Thanks in advance!

New User
    Level
    Level completed: 11%, Points required for next Level: 89
    Achievements:
    bump! anybody?

New User
    Level
    Level completed: 80%, Points required for next Level: 20
    Achievements:
    Not sure why you needed to swap the tank --- could have just dropped in an uprated fuel pump? The 02 WRX probably runs a fuel pump controller, whereas the outback will be just on/off. This is all external to the pump in a seperate box.

As for the ABS tone rings - they'll either be the same, or obviously different and won't fit. I'm fairly sure the sensors act the same, so you can splice them into the harness (eg: I'm running '00 (Aus Gen3) Outback sensors into a JDM RSK harness. The RSK tone rings were significantly different from my outback ones and hubs not interchangeable).

If the legacy axles fit in the gearbox, can you not use the legacy hubs?

Level
    Level completed: 53%, Points required for next Level: 71
    Achievements:
    The 02 WRX trans and your Legacy trans both use female style axles with a roll pin, so you don't need to swap them unless you need to say you have WRX axles. The hub input is the same diameter for both cars because they both utilize the 5x100 hub.

There is nothing wrong with using the WRX fuel tank, and as for wiring, when you merge the harness don't delete the controller and everything should work without any problems. This doesn't help since I can't remember whose build thread it was, but they always use the fuel tank from whatever donor they sourced their parts from... I think it's a member on RS25 that has done a bunch of WRX/FXT swaps into GC chassis coupes. If I find the thread I will link it here for reference.
    2005 BL Legacy 2.5GT (Wife's VF52 powered Grocery Getter)
    1997 BK Legacy GT Wagon (2.1 Stroker Build in progress)
    2004 GD WRX (16G Panty Dropper)
    1991 SW21 MR2 (Camry V6 powarrr)
    1992 1Gb Plymouth Laser RS-T AWD (Unicorn)

New User
    Level
    Level completed: 16%, Points required for next Level: 42
    not trying to highjack the thread but i'm trying to figure out how to put an 02 wrx 5sp in my 99 lgt the slave styles are different and it needs some parts to work but i can't get a clear answer from anyone on what parts are needed to make it work in my car. i am a autobody not a mech.

Level
    Level completed: 53%, Points required for next Level: 71
    Achievements:
    Quote Originally Posted by yfz450guy View Post
    not trying to highjack the thread but i'm trying to figure out how to put an 02 wrx 5sp in my 99 lgt the slave styles are different and it needs some parts to work but i can't get a clear answer from anyone on what parts are needed to make it work in my car. i am a autobody not a mech.
    You need a WRX 2.0 clutch and flywheel, plus the clutch slave cylinder for the WRX trans as well. I'd get a steel braided clutch line for a WRX while you're at it too. That should be everything you'll need.

You always run clutch/flywheel for the trans you're using not the motor.
    2005 BL Legacy 2.5GT (Wife's VF52 powered Grocery Getter)
    1997 BK Legacy GT Wagon (2.1 Stroker Build in progress)
    2004 GD WRX (16G Panty Dropper)
    1991 SW21 MR2 (Camry V6 powarrr)
    1992 1Gb Plymouth Laser RS-T AWD (Unicorn)