Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: The Green Turd - 23/10/19 Back from the body shop... still turding...

Level
    Level completed: 54%, Points required for next Level: 139
    Achievements:
    5000 Experience PointsO.G.
    Hey...I know that spot
    '11 Lexus CT200h - Feb. 2024-Present
    '12 Toyota Aqua - AKA Prius C, JDM city runabout. Sold. Apr. 2023-Feb. 2024
    '09 Toyota Crown Hybrid - JDM executive missile. Sold. Oct. 2019-Feb. 2024
    '00 Toyota Vitz Clavia - Sold. Mar. 2018-Jun. 2021
    '11 BMW 328i Xdrive - Sold. Nov. 2016-Apr. 2018
    '08 Legacy 3.0R Limited - Sold. Mar. 2015-Aug. 2016
    '97 Legacy wagon (BK) TS-R wanna-be - Retired. Oct. 2007-Jan. 2015

Level
    Level completed: 38%, Points required for next Level: 251
    Achievements:
    O.G.10000 Experience PointsRecommendation Second Class
    So the ol Turd hasn't had a good 2019. Jan 11 I got sidewsiped by an Audi Q7 in a parking lot. I pulled up and parked next to him just as he shifted into reverse to back out of his car park. He didn't see me arrive, nor check his surrounds properly before reversing, and CRUMPLE CRUMPLE CRUMPLE down my left rear quater he went. Ouch.

image9 by Reuben Horsley, on Flickr

I then mangaged to get some upgrading done. Ripped out the ol leaky rear shocks, and figured I'd put shiney new KYB's in to match my shiney new KYB's up front. I also went back to stock springs, as I was not using the car for hauling shit around much any more...

But after that, things didn't get much better. About a month ago as I was traversing up the crown range hairpin section for a callout, I got a loud CLUNK from the driveline as I entered a hairpin, while shifting into first. Revs started to flair out of the hairpin and there was grinding noises from the driveline... Not to be peterbed, I limped on to the job at 50, and got to work. On the drive home, it was quite evident the car was not happy, and I assumed it must be trans. The revs would flair if I gassed it too much, or once I got up to about 50k, so I sorta limped all the way home at 40 with the hazards on, letting people by when I was holding em up. I don't do "I've broken down, help" if the car still moves under it's own power! (Except when doing so will melt the thing I want to rebuild)(I don't care for this trans).

Parked it up while I had Mr Regular visit, and then the parents down from Auckland after that. I started lining all my ducks up for a manual converion, when one night it clicked while I was in bed doing that can't get to sleep thing. All the symptons would also be consistant with a busted CV! Next day I jacked the car up, and I was never more pleased to see a fucked CV as I was then!

image7 by Reuben Horsley, on Flickr

Then things at the workshop started going downhill, and ol Sam ended up closing the business. I managed to get 90% of my shit out of the shop and into storage, the Turd fulfulling his duties dilligently. Lost sadly are my RS-RA EJ20G factory port and polished heads. They would have required more money spent on them lineboring new cam caps, than they were worth... I did rescue one rocker cover ("Gold Alumite treatment surface cam cover"), and made the scrap metal guy promise to contact me if he found the other. I have yet to be contacted.

image2 by Reuben Horsley, on Flickr

image1 by Reuben Horsley, on Flickr

Among the things rescued was this wee gem of an exhaust...

image6 by Reuben Horsley, on Flickr

image5 by Reuben Horsley, on Flickr

image4 by Reuben Horsley, on Flickr

image3 by Reuben Horsley, on Flickr

So these exhausts, as far as we know, were optional on first gen N/A's. I've only seen two in the wild, both on brighton wagons, normally JDM brightons got the same ol exhausts you'd be used to seeing... First time I saw one was on a customer car at some workshop I was visiting, and I was so intrigued, thinking I should some day like to get my hands on one of those setups. Then I ended up with a brighton to wreck, and by some mirical it had the exhaust! (a few years apart, may have even been the same car). I can't help think how expensive an option like that would be, with two cat converters, and two 3-wire o2 sensors... In 1990!!!

To fit it, I'll have to DE-250T my 250T, and install a regular crossmember, remembering of course that 250T's came factory with turbo crossmembers to fit their funky up-pipe-down-pipe exhaust. I'll also lose my boxer burble, as I chucked on turbo headers to my 250T because I could. But got knows the turd needs some more torque, and I can't imagine turbo headers are doing that anemic 20D any favours...

So to wrap it up, Turd is getting some upgrades in the near future. Last item to rescue from the workshop is my NEW 20D... I bought a BG5B facelift 20D ($100), which on paper is a substantial upgrade to my BF5 VZ 20D. Then on goes that exhaust. I'll hear back from the insurance company soon how big my payout will be... I just hope it's over $800, as that's what a mate has quoted me to fix it! Will get the roof and bonnet painted too while it's in the shop, then she'll be a turd worthy of my time!

Good thing about playing with BG 250Turds is it's fucking cheap.

Level
    Achievements:
    Well, insurance delivered! wrote me a cheque for $1350 for repairs, and made me sign a bit of paper saying that that cheque settles the matter, and the insurance is not liable for whatever I chose to do with that money - as aposed to them taking care of the repair for me. I MUCH prefer this outcome! This means I can also get the roof and bonnet painted at the same time! Just chuck a few extra of my own $'s in there and get it done!

So, got the turd ready for the panel beaters today. Part of getting a reasonable quote for the repair was that I bring the car in ready to be worked on. So out came the boot trim on the affected side, and also the roof liner, which means also all the pillar trims, had to come out to unbolt the roof rails. Not a big job actually, maybe 2 hours total. Lots of broken clips along the way, but that's part of it, I have some spares to replace most.

IMG_4967 by Reuben Horsley, on Flickr

IMG_4971 by Reuben Horsley, on Flickr

IMG_4980 by Reuben Horsley, on Flickr

IMG_4985 by Reuben Horsley, on Flickr

IMG_4979 by Reuben Horsley, on Flickr

IMG_4973 by Reuben Horsley, on Flickr

IMG_4974 by Reuben Horsley, on Flickr

IMG_4977 by Reuben Horsley, on Flickr

IMG_4982 by Reuben Horsley, on Flickr

And these, the roof rail mounts... yuck! Thankfully the surface that was on the paint side hasn't rusted at all, and it hasn't transferred rust into the roof at all, it appears to just be surface rust! So i will get these sand blasted and painted.

Interior out for mr shuttleworth to do his magic

IMG_4986 by Reuben Horsley, on Flickr

And an imense pile of trim!

IMG_4987 by Reuben Horsley, on Flickr

So on tuesday the turd goes in to be worked on, next update when the man has done his magic! He reckons he'll be able to smash it out in a day. Might be a week or two before paint though.

Level
    Level completed: 86%, Points required for next Level: 29
    Achievements:
    5000 Experience PointsO.G.
    What a strange exhaust. First time I have ever seen one. I guess that's equal length header then
    '02 BE Limited GT - SOLD
    '99 Legacy wrx wagon - RIP east coast rust
    '97 GT limited wagon - RIP.
    93 gt/b - current
    '94 Ti
    '93 Postal

Level
    Achievements:
    Yeah! Funky eh? I’m wondering if the stock BG5 TS-R one is actually better though. They run a 4-1 equal length design, but still have the funny 180deg bend on the right bank. Better than the ordinary Subie design though. All these exotic JDM N/A exhausts eh?

Level
    Achievements:
    I found a sump bash plate on a Legacy I was wrecking. Score! Had to mofidy the mounting, for some reason if was too low and too far forward, I couldn't figure out why so I just had to bend and bash and re-drill the mounts to suit my car. Came off an A-rev, so no reason for it being any different....

IMG_4989 by Reuben Horsley, on Flickr

Mocking up, sitting too low and forward:

IMG_4994 by Reuben Horsley, on Flickr

Before:

IMG_4991 by Reuben Horsley, on Flickr

After:

IMG_4995 by Reuben Horsley, on Flickr

IMG_4997 by Reuben Horsley, on Flickr

Level
    Level completed: 46%, Points required for next Level: 219
    Achievements:
    10000 Experience PointsO.G.
    Green Legacy. Being as I used to own a 2.5GT saloon, that combination stirs memories... hope you are well.
    2010 Red Impreza 2.5i hatchback - SOLD
    (Still driving a Subaru now, though)

Level
    Achievements:
    I never updated my thread wit the fresh paint pics!!! I'll snap some other good pics soon I guess.

IMG_5275 by Reuben Horsley, on Flickr

IMG_5277 by Reuben Horsley, on Flickr

IMG_5279 by Reuben Horsley, on Flickr

IMG_5281 by Reuben Horsley, on Flickr

IMG_5282 by Reuben Horsley, on Flickr

IMG_5288 by Reuben Horsley, on Flickr

IMG_5289 by Reuben Horsley, on Flickr

I also did a grounding kit for it. Made it by hand (some people seem surprised by this fact, it's really friggin easy...). All in an effort to get to the bottom of my phantom lack of torque... It seems to come and go month to month, this month it's particularly bad... We're talking not enough power to get up the hill exiting my suburb, if you don't get a run-up first to make sure you're above 3000rpm. I also checked my 5v sensor power circuit, and my 12v circuit out of the main relay to ensure there's no voltage drop there, and she's all good. So I've basically ruled out grounds and power at this point... I did get the CEL flash up for o2, but it still had the same problem with a brand new o2 I borrow from the beast for a few months, so I know that won't fix it (also o2's don't have that much authority on the tune). After all the things I have changed, among which is 4 different MAF sensors, different IACV, new plugs, leads, ignitors, coils, vacuum leak checked, timing checked, New PCV, new PCV hoses, fuel filter, air filter etc... I'm now down to randoms like fuel pump and fuel pressure regulator.. maybe ECU, but I'll struggle to find another. I could put my old EJ25 ECU back in though (currently i have a BG5A EJ20D ECU, running a BG5B EJ20D engine, same compression ratio, but the BG5B engine has different heads, the 2L didn't get a compression ratio bump between A-rev and B-rev like the EJ25 did).

I will continue to hunt this problem out. God damn 2nd gens...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12