Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Level
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Achievements:
    25000 Experience PointsO.G.Overdrive

Need a new oil drain pan / storage container

Hey everyone,

I feel like I've searched every website and done multiple google searches and I haven't really found what I'm looking for.

I owned for quite a few years a 1970s oil drain container that was purchased at Sears originally. It was sturdy, leakproof and well designed with a large catch area and the plug towards the TOP of the container when it's stored vertically, rather than the bottom, as most contemporary containers are designed now. Unfortunately the plastic seams on the bottom started to leak oil and I had to chuck it. I've been using a cheap container that I absolutely hate since and am looking for a good long term replacement.

The closes product I've found like it is this: http://www.matrixracingproducts.com/...ain-container/

The problem with this one is that it only holds a gallon as it's designed for Motorcycles. In fact, most the motorcycle specific ones seem to be well designed as opposed to the automotive ones.

I do like the flo-tool like this one, but it's 6" tall when in drain mode, which doesn't leave much room for changing oil on some cars that I do:
    http://www.northerntool.com/shop/too...RJShoCMu7w_wcB

I searched Matrix's website and found no other, larger oil pans. Anyone have any suggestions?
    ~Mark [SLi Admin]
    2015 Dodge Charger AWD
    2008 Subaru Tribeca Limited, 7 passenger w/ Navigation

Former vehicles:
    03 Forester
    95 Legacy Outback

Level
    Achievements:
    Well, I got a few replies elsewhere, but only with ones that I'd seen and disliked when I went and looked at them.

After hours and hours of Google searching, I happened across a link on a forum to this one:http://www.oilfiltersonline.com/15-Q...ling-Container

So I ordered it last week.

I got the oil drain pan in today and first impressions are good! It feels much less cheap than most sub-$30 pans, the drain plug is solid, the air valve plug snaps in nicely unlike most (would prefer a threaded plug, but I can always add one later if it breaks) and the pan design is overall well thought out.

Some hi-res photos (click for full size) since the website does a poor job:

Even the cap for emptying the pan is raised up high (doesn't show in my photos unfortunately) so that you'd have to have the oil level above the drain before any would reach the cap. It also has a handle on the bottom for easy sliding from both ends - really is well thought out.

I have an oil change or two to do tomorrow, so I'll weigh in with my final thoughts after.
    ~Mark [SLi Admin]
    2015 Dodge Charger AWD

Former vehicles:
    03 Forester
    95 Legacy Outback

Level
    Level completed: 62%, Points required for next Level: 383
    Achievements:
    10000 Experience PointsO.G.SocialOverdrive
    Wow, that looks really nice. Way better than the open pan that I have. I am curious to know your final thoughts, as I may pick one up myself.

Level
    Achievements:
    I've got 4 oil changes (friends, family, and our Tribeca) so I should be able to give it a thorough workout with a variety of oil plug/oil filter locations and designs.
    ~Mark [SLi Admin]
    2015 Dodge Charger AWD

Former vehicles:
    03 Forester
    95 Legacy Outback

Level
    Level completed: 25%, Points required for next Level: 113
    Achievements:
    1 year registered1000 Experience Points
    I do like that. I regularly do oil changes on 3 vehicles, and that looks like it would be good addition to the garage. Please let us know about splashing when you use it. That's a major problem with the cheapo pan I have now.

Level
    Achievements:
    Well, I've done 2 oil changes with it now - our 08 Tribeca (Fumoto Valve, Horizontal spin-on filter underneath) and a 2006 Yaris (standard drain bolt, vertical spin-on fliter).

I would say it handles splatter pretty well. It's nice and deep at the drain point, a little shallower, but still deeper than many further out. I didn't spill a drop with the 'Beca (thanks fumoto!) even with the high-up oil filter splattering down. I did spill a bit with the Yaris - the drain bolt points towards the passenger tire and there isn't enough room to get the deep part of the pan underneath that area, so I had some splatter. Maybe I'll use a floor jack instead of ramps the next time. So I guess the only mark against the pan is that it's a bit bigger (but not huge by any means).

Also, it had room to spare after both oil changes (probably almost 11 quarts between the 2), although I did empty it out into my 5 gallon drum as I have another oil change to do on Sunday morning.
    ~Mark [SLi Admin]
    2015 Dodge Charger AWD

Former vehicles:
    03 Forester
    95 Legacy Outback