Thread: EJ25D Build Thread

"FNG"
    Level
    Level completed: 94%, Points required for next Level: 9
    Achievements:
    Created Album pictures1000 Experience Points1 year registered

EJ25D Build Thread

While I was on vacation in NY, a buddy of mine called me up and I met up with him and his wife in Toronto. He's a fellow Subaru builder and works for a shop that specializes in Subaru vehicles. While joining for dinner, we were talking about Subaru's and told me he had a long block EJ25D that was sitting in his garage with only 79,000 miles on it and a blown HG and would give it to me to take home. I didn't even have to pay duty on it declaring it at the border, which was really nice. Needless to say, I got the engine for nothing. As far as I know from what he told me, it is out of a 98 Outback Limited Auto. The car had 140,000 kms on it when the passenger head gasket blew. The owner of the vehicle shut off the car immediately and had it towed to my buddy's shop in an attempt to prevent further damage. The shop quoted him a total of nearly $1200 to do both head gaskets. The owner used the car for winter driving and the car body was pretty rusted so he just signed over the title to the shop and called it a day. My buddy salvaged the motor, among other parts, and scrapped the rest of the car.

Here is the part that I would like a second opinion about. He tells me this motor with the upgraded head gaskets and some EJ257(I think?) STI pistons would be a great candidate to throw some decent boost on it. He's offered to track some pistons down and send them to me on the cheap. As it sits, I will be pulling it out of my SUV, after the 3,000 mile trip home, and putting it on my stand and when I move next month I'm going to start tearing it down. I'm going to order the full upper and lower gasket kit and timing kit next month.

Name:  20160529_165606.jpg
Views: 302
Size:  4.19 MBName:  20160529_165644.jpg
Views: 251
Size:  3.54 MB

t3h ub3r m3mber
    Level
    Level completed: 85%, Points required for next Level: 46
    Achievements:
    5000 Experience PointsO.G.
    I wouldn't use that block for boost personally. You'd be better throwing those heads on a EJ255/7 or EJ22t block if you plan to run boost. The open deck block isn't ideal for boost, although I'm sure it has been done.
    Kevin B.
    06 Subaru Legacy 2.5GT-Brilliant Silver Metallic
    98 Subaru Legacy 2.5GT-Black Granite Pearl
    <- Turn signals, people! Use them! ->

Level
    Level completed: 65%, Points required for next Level: 71
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points
    Quote Originally Posted by ouch1011 View Post
    I wouldn't use that block for boost personally. You'd be better throwing those heads on a EJ255/7 or EJ22t block if you plan to run boost. The open deck block isn't ideal for boost, although I'm sure it has been done.
    The deck thickness doesnt matter until much later down the track. The smaller rod bearings and weak rods of the 25D will matter more than the bore thickness

"FNG"
    Level
    Achievements:
    Ya, I'm not looking for tons of boost, just 8-10lbs worth of it, which isn't going to blow the cylinder walls apart. If I could afford a EJ255/7 or find a EJ22t block, I would do a frankenmotor.

Level
    Level completed: 53%, Points required for next Level: 71
    Achievements:
    1 year registered1000 Experience Points
    I have to agree with Barbbachello, the crank is not gonna want to support those rods or boost. I don't want to start any arguments, I'm not saying it can't be done, simply for what it costs to make it work reliably you're better off going back to the drawing board. Also, an open deck block with actually distort under heat and boost causing some epic failure even at 6-8 psi. You could half fill the block to add strength or sleeve it and run an EJ255/257 crank if you want to try and overcome the shortcomings of that block. I'm using an EJ205 block with the EJ25D heads to make a frankenmotor myself.
    2005 BL Legacy 2.5GT (Wife's VF52 powered Grocery Getter)
    1997 BK Legacy GT Wagon (2.1 Stroker Build in progress)
    2004 GD WRX (16G Panty Dropper)
    1991 SW21 MR2 (Camry V6 powarrr)
    1992 1Gb Plymouth Laser RS-T AWD (Unicorn)

"FNG"
    Level
    Achievements:
    Thanks for all the advice. I'm going a different route with this engine. I am taking the short block and throwing some EJ22 heads onto it for a high compression build. Alternately, I am taking the EJ25D heads and putting them on my EJ222 block and I am going to build a EJ22D Version 3 motor for the Outback I just picked up.