Thread: Valves for ej25D

New User
    Level
    Level completed: 60%, Points required for next Level: 40
    Achievements:
    3 months registered500 Experience Points

Valves for ej25D

Hey new here. Just picked up a 99 outback for $200 popped a timing belt and figured needs a few valves. Any reason to upgrade to bigger valves or leave it stock. Any input as to where to get them would be great also.Name:  IMG_20160608_152558.jpg
Views: 66
Size:  2.89 MB

Level
    Level completed: 83%, Points required for next Level: 26
    Achievements:
    1 year registered1000 Experience Points
    Since no one else has responded I thought I'd at least say welcome to the forum! I've been reading up on Subaru engines for a few years and have never seen anyone mention larger valves. The biggie with the EJ25 engine is it's tendency to have head gasket failure so as long as you're in there.....

I also noticed the door gasket hanging out in your picture. I've used 3M Black Weatherstrip Adhesive on my Outback's gaskets and they've stayed put for years. Your car looks pretty straight for $200. Any rust? I've had a rust spot like the upper one on your hood for about ten years. Maybe in a few I'll get it fixed.
    1996 Outback 5 speed
    1997 Legacy L wagon 5 speed Member's Ride I thread

"You want a real kick? You go Bernoulli." Pops Racer

"FNG"
    Level
    Level completed: 94%, Points required for next Level: 9
    Achievements:
    Created Album pictures1000 Experience Points1 year registered
    Welcome to the forum. Looks like a nice starter car for $200. I have one nearly identical, though I have a Limited with no hood scoop (kinda jealous, though I'm tracking one down). I paid $140 for mine, with no engine or tranny, just a complete rolling shell which is getting the EJ22 from my other 99 Legacy L until I finish building my motor.

As far as your valves go, RockAuto has them dirt cheap. The intake valves are about $6 a piece and the exhaust are $7 a piece plus shipping. Make sure your pistons aren't damaged as a result. I am going to be doing a head gasket change on my EJ25D I have. Engine has only 100,000km on it. Here's the parts list you'll need:

Intake Valves (up to 8)
    Exhaust Valves (up to 8)
    Head Gasket Kit (~$70-80 from Subaru) or a upper & lower gasket kit (about $120)
    Timing Belt Kit w/ Water Pump (~$180)
    Head Bolts (~$50)

Expect around $450 or so to get her up and running properly and reliably provided only the valves are the only thing damaged. If there's more damage, you could just cut your losses and swap in an EJ22 :-P

New User
    Level
    Achievements:
    Thanks guys. I work at a automotive repair shop and we work on about anything that comes through the door and this happened to come through. An older lady bought if for $400 and drove it for a year. She went to visit her son in Nevada and broke down in jerome here in Idaho, and was towed to our shop. It was about 1200 parts and labor the fix it, and she figured it was better to part with it and I offered her a few to atleast get some money back, so my journey begins with my first subaru. It's a 5 speed, so atleast a little better than my volvo v70 awd, which is an auto tragic lol. Just gonna fix it up and drive it for a little while and might sell it or something who knows. It's got some rust above the windshield on the drivers side but seems to be rust free besides that. Few dents in it but nothing serious that can't be fixed easyAttachment 1479Attachment 1479Attachment 1480

New User
    Level
    Achievements:
    Name:  20160607_174649.jpg
Views: 57
Size:  2.87 MB

New User
    Level
    Achievements:
    It's got some miles on it, but I figure it's not too high sense in theory it's going to make a newer top end on it. Plus side though is brand new battery with terminals, new tires, and looks to be a newer rad too. Headgasket seems to be starting to seep anyway, because our idea was to just to throw a belt on it and see if it runs, but I might as well change them sense it's more than likely got a bent valve. Name:  20160607_174802.jpg
Views: 79
Size:  4.52 MB

New User
    Level
    Achievements:
    Thanks for the info. Definitely looking into all the valves then if they are this cheap, just cheap insurance to a good long lasting motor, plus the self pulling junkyard that's by me has tons of dohc and sohc legacys and foresters

"FNG"
    Level
    Level completed: 94%, Points required for next Level: 9
    Achievements:
    Created Album pictures1000 Experience Points1 year registered
    Looks good. I bought my first Legacy with 220,000 miles on a bone stock 2.2 and manual transmission. The previous owner was a punk kid and drove the crap out of it and I bought it for $400 with a bad front end. I did all the body work on it and got it looking good, minus paint. I pulled the engine, replaced the clutch and throwout bearing he burned up and changed the flywheel because the old one was scored to hell and back and didn't want to mess with a machine shop turning it for me. I am taking the engine, tranny, and diff from that car and putting it into my Outback to fill in for the EJ25 that was removed by the P/O of that car. Only thing is that my Outback never came with a manual transmission nor the EJ22, so I need to swap the entire harness over, which from what I read is a pain because Subaru didn't make a separate harness for the body and engine, so I will be doing that separation myself from the old harness and then creating a disconnect for the engine and body harness so I can swap them with ease.

New User
    Level
    Achievements:
    So I finally got the car back together, no bent valves totally crazy, never seen that before, new headgaskets and such anyways, got the motor almost all buttoned back up last night and fired it with no headers, let's just say was a little loud lol