Thread: Converting My Legacy 01 BE5 Non-Turbo

Level
    Level completed: 70%, Points required for next Level: 30
    Achievements:
    3 months registered500 Experience Points

Talking Converting My Legacy 01 BE5 Non-Turbo

Hey there! I'll get to the point straight I own a 3rd Gen Legacy B4 BE5 Non-turbo Engine Number- EJ201, Transmission Type- TY754VRBAB 5 Speed Manual I live in Sri Lanka so the Vehicle is Right Hand drive What I want to know is what STi Conversion would be the best and what and what should I be looking at replacing will the stock rear diff and axle cope fine ? the EJ20t STI Or can i go for the EJ25T as well ? Getting the parts is not that much of a difficulty for me as I can order them straight from Japan or UK what would be the best conversion without much of a hessel ? I read that the Crossmember has to be swapped with a Turbo BE5 crossmember or is it for the 2nd Gen Legacy only ?

Thank you in Advance.
    Last edited by Dinka; 08-17-2016 at 07:48 AM.

Level
    Achievements:
    No one ?

New User
    Level
    Level completed: 80%, Points required for next Level: 20
    Achievements:
    1 year registered1000 Experience Points
    You can put whatever you like into it.

EJ engines are much of a muchness in terms of complexity. They'll all bolt in with minimal hassle. The real issue is how you are going to do the wiring. You'll have to merge the engine (donor) and your BH5 wiring harnesses.

The easiest, low-hassle swap for you (RHD) is a JDM TT (RSK, GTB, etc) front cut of the same year/revision (A-C vs. D/E). Wiring is simple plug and play (remove engine harness from JDM donor, replace yours, no merging of harnesses required). You'll have to pull out the whole dash, including AC and heater, to get the harness out regardless of what engine you choose.

What's 'the best'? - depends on what you're looking for (low grunt, laggy but whooshka power, driveability) and what's available. JDM means 2.0L. STI's are good and solid. You could also use a JDM forester, and other engines.

You'll need a turbo engine crossmember. Your gearbox and drivetrain will survive ok if you're sensible - but don't expect to be able to give it a hammering without busting something.

Safest (and cheapest) is to get a JDM front cut with engine management, wiring etc all in place, with gearbox and rear diff; or find a local wreck with an engine you like the look of. Easiest if its R160 rear diff, otherwise you need to muck around converting shafts &/or hubs.

Don't make the mistake of buying just an engine; you'll find all those other little bits and pieces you need will cause a big headache and end up costing you way too much.

Check out subyclub.com - plenty of RHD BH/BE legacy/outback conversions of various types. TT, JDM forester turbo, STI WRX, etc. clubsub.org.nz also has lots of JDM goodness, as NZ has an open door policy on imports.

What's your fuel like in Sri Lanka? Be careful not to get a JDM engine that needs 98RON if your local fuel is not up to par.

Also consider if you want to have the ability to tune -- JECS ECU's (early A-C BH/BE TT's, Imprezas of the same era) aren't as easy to get tunable, though there are solutions such as ECULABS.

Here's my simplest case TT conversion of a Rev B BH5 outback. Didn't swap anything in the drivetrain.
    Last edited by duncanm; 08-20-2016 at 04:33 AM.

Level
    Level completed: 68%, Points required for next Level: 325
    Achievements:
    O.G.Tagger Second ClassSocialOverdriveRecommendation Second Class
    Awards:
    Posting Award
    Pretty much what he said... Getting a half cut (front cut) will be the easiest since it should have just about everything you need. You might need to do some wiring, but for the most part everything will bolt in.

Level
    Achievements:
    Quote Originally Posted by duncanm View Post
    You can put whatever you like into it.

EJ engines are much of a muchness in terms of complexity. They'll all bolt in with minimal hassle. The real issue is how you are going to do the wiring. You'll have to merge the engine (donor) and your BH5 wiring harnesses.

The easiest, low-hassle swap for you (RHD) is a JDM TT (RSK, GTB, etc) front cut of the same year/revision (A-C vs. D/E). Wiring is simple plug and play (remove engine harness from JDM donor, replace yours, no merging of harnesses required). You'll have to pull out the whole dash, including AC and heater, to get the harness out regardless of what engine you choose.

What's 'the best'? - depends on what you're looking for (low grunt, laggy but whooshka power, driveability) and what's available. JDM means 2.0L. STI's are good and solid. You could also use a JDM forester, and other engines.

You'll need a turbo engine crossmember. Your gearbox and drivetrain will survive ok if you're sensible - but don't expect to be able to give it a hammering without busting something.

Safest (and cheapest) is to get a JDM front cut with engine management, wiring etc all in place, with gearbox and rear diff; or find a local wreck with an engine you like the look of. Easiest if its R160 rear diff, otherwise you need to muck around converting shafts &/or hubs.

Don't make the mistake of buying just an engine; you'll find all those other little bits and pieces you need will cause a big headache and end up costing you way too much.

Check out subyclub.com - plenty of RHD BH/BE legacy/outback conversions of various types. TT, JDM forester turbo, STI WRX, etc. clubsub.org.nz also has lots of JDM goodness, as NZ has an open door policy on imports.

What's your fuel like in Sri Lanka? Be careful not to get a JDM engine that needs 98RON if your local fuel is not up to par.

Also consider if you want to have the ability to tune -- JECS ECU's (early A-C BH/BE TT's, Imprezas of the same era) aren't as easy to get tunable, though there are solutions such as ECULABS.

Here's my simplest case TT conversion of a Rev B BH5 outback. Didn't swap anything in the drivetrain.
    Thanks for the time you put into typing all the info! Great help And we only have 95 Octane here and that seems to do fine on most of the TT b4's in Sri lanka