Thread: Car wont start?

"FNG"
    Level
    Level completed: 39%, Points required for next Level: 61
    Achievements:
    1000 Experience Points1 year registered

Car wont start?

So I was driving my car the other day and came to a red light. Once stopped I noticed a dip in the rpm and when i looked at my gauge cluster the car had stalled. I tried to restart and it wouldn't turn over, just crank. So I had it towed home. I assumed it was fuel or ignition related so I started with checking the pump. Un hooked the line at the fuel filter and no pressure when priming. So i assumed the pump died, I had a spare in the garge so swapped it out and still nothing. At this point and what i should have done first is see if there's power at the plug for the pump. No power at the plug. So I Test the relay, seems fine but no power at the relay either. I did try and check for spark aswell and it seemed like i was not getting any spark. I'm gonna double check this as it was kind of hard for me to tell as i was buy myself trying to crank the motor and look out the car at the plug resting on the intake manifold. So at this point I thought something might be wrong with the aftermarket immobilizer system. I took that system out and still same thing. So I'm wondering if anyone has had a similiar issue to this and could maybe lead me in some sort of direction from here. Also all fuses are in working order under the hood and dash. I have done some research and seems like maybe the camshaft position or crankshaft position sensor could cause an issue. If you have any suggestion at all please let me know. Also I had been noticing a slight hesitation of the idle on intilial startup, pretty much exactly what happened when the car died and wouldnt restart. Thanks for any help, much appreciated! Dave

"FNG"
    Level
    Achievements:
    Quote Originally Posted by Dead91silvia View Post
    What year is it?
    96 brighton. 2.2

Level
    Level completed: 11%, Points required for next Level: 358
    Achievements:
    O.G.10000 Experience Points
    Yeah I would check your crank/cam sensor specially the cam sensor. My friends forester suddenly died and it turned out that the one of the bolt holding the inner timing cover got loose and got dislodge and jammed by the cam sensor and snapped the holder.
    This would also have you go back to basic and when you remove your timing cover to see if the timing belt is intact and not snapped. Check compression, have the crank pulley removed if you can to see if it has the wobble crank pulley and the gear itself is good.

"FNG"
    Level
    Achievements:
    Still haven't really gotten anywhere with the car. I'm definitely not getting power to the ecu. Gonna go over all my grounds clean them up and make sure they're tight. Fuses and relays all seem to be in working order, timing belt is still in one piece I replaced the crank sensor as i tried to pull it out to clean it and it broke, cam sensor came out fine so i cleaned that up but i may just go ahead and replace it too. If I cant figure this out by the weekend I may be buying an 02 wrx wagon original owner. Lol

"FNG"
    Level
    Achievements:
    had some time yesterday to go work on the car. Turns out sbf-2 fuse was blown in the engine bay. (green fuse with clear top) I had to actually take the clear cover off the top to notice it had blown. It broke below the top center of the fuse so you couldnt see it until you got in there. Replaced with another one and I now have power but no spark. Fuel pump turns on and primes just no spark. Thinking camshaft sensor or igniter. Have tomorrow of so gonna rip out to the pick n pull and see if i can find some cheap ones to try.

"FNG"
    Level
    Achievements:
    So now that my scanner tool works with the diagnostic plug im getting a po335 code for crankshaft. I had replaced the crankshaft sensor with a new one already but i'm thinking i may have messed up one of the teeth on the reluctor when i was trying to get the body of the old sensor out as it was seized in and the top had broken off. Gonna have to makeshift a crank pulley tool to get that off and check the reluctor. I only get the code after trying to crank the car over leaving me to believe it's not an issue with the wiring/sensor.

"FNG"
    Level
    Achievements:
    Well, some good news. Cars back up and running, It turned out the new crank sensor i had purchased was missing a pin in the sensor, not sure how or where it went but napa replaced it for me free of charge. I have a misfire on cyl 3 now so I'm waiting on my new plug wires which are backordered through subaru, got new plugs and a coil pack sitting at home (coil pack connections are all corroded so I figured i'd just replace it). Hopefully be driving again by end of week

"FNG"
    Level
    Achievements:
    Well my spark plug wires finally showed up after being back ordered and they are not the right wires. Gave buddy my vin and everything he keeps saying thats what should be on the vehicle, tried telling me someone messed with the car. The car was an original owner thats been maintained at the dealership that i purchased through the dealership (my friend was working there at the time and hooked me up). The spark plug wires that came in have the female connection that go to the male terminal coil pack. I think subaru packaged the wrong wires? Buddy trying to get me to pay a 20% restocking fee to return them. I just need to get the car back up and running ffs!!!!

"FNG"
    Level
    Achievements:
    Alright, Got the right wires from napa!! Swapped the wires and plugs, took for a test drive, drove fine. Went to go get some oil to do an oil changed, did that and when I drove it after that the mis came back! Swapped the igniter for another one and it appears to be gone!! Been driving it for 2 days now with no issues!!!! Glad to be back in her now time to do the brakes before it gets to cold out! Problem finally resolved.