Thread: 97 legacy misfire and rough idle

New User
    Level
    Level completed: 78%, Points required for next Level: 11
    Achievements:
    3 months registered250 Experience Points

97 legacy misfire and rough idle

Well I am now asking for help on this cause I am not having any luck.

I have a 1997 Legacy Brighton I picked up for cheap since the motor it had spun a timing belt. I sourced a new ej22 along with outback doors and whole car harness to do a power door conversion. Well got everything wiring up and working and the new motor in (replaced all the gaskets including head gaskets) but it seems have a rough time idling. Well I started trouble shooting the motor. Narrowed it down to cylinder 4. I can pull the spark plug wire or injector plug and it makes no difference. I have spark on all 4, The ecu is telling the injector to fire (via test light), I have 180 psi across the board for my compression check. Also to top it off. It is running SUPER rich.

Then I started replacing parts:
    MAF, Ignitor, Coil pack, injectors, spark plugs, fuel filter, front O2 sensor, ecu, spark plug wires, knock sensor, idle air control valve, Throttle position sensor, etc. I have probably replaced everything and verified wiring to ensure nothing was different and everything checked out.

I am stumped. Only thing left is fuel pump but since it revs up easily and running super rich. like hurt your eyes rich. If a fuel pump doesnt fix it, I dunno what to do besides throw in a spare ej22 I have on the side. (not the original one)

Any ideas would be good. THANK YOU!

Here is a video for it.

Level
    Level completed: 11%, Points required for next Level: 358
    Achievements:
    O.G.10000 Experience Points
    looks like the engine wants to jump off the car lol. What year is the whole car harness that you installed?

New User
    Level
    Level completed: 78%, Points required for next Level: 11
    Achievements:
    3 months registered250 Experience Points
    Something was wrong with head gasket and head. Possibly warped. I just sourced a new long block and car runs great! Gotta be careful of buying a motor without seeing it run and non Subaru head gaskets.