Thread: JDM EJ25DE info

Level
    Level completed: 1%, Points required for next Level: 99
    Achievements:
    Created Album pictures3 months registered1000 Experience Points

JDM EJ25DE info

Hi all, just wondering what everyone knows about the JDM EJ25D, apparently also known as the EJ25DE.
    This started about a year ago when I accidentally swapped one into my 98 OBW. How did I accidentally swap in an engine? I bought a 99 Legacy out of a field and knew the 99 EJ25D was different and basically a factory hybrid engine, phase II block with phase I internals and heads, so I just attributed all of those to being a 99. At the time, this was the second/third legacy motor I've pulled. It wasn't until I was putting the timing cover back on that I noticed the import sticker.

Visual differences:
    -valve covers marked "4 CAM 16 VALVE" and with lines, similar to late EJ22Es
    -turbo water pump w/ aluminum housing coming out the front of the pump rather than the side
    -different timing cover with brackets (for O2 sensor wiring?)
    -flat top pistons with valve reliefs
    -threaded holes near the spark plug boots, presumably for coil-on-plug

Pictures: (apologies, didn't know I was looking for anything unusual at the time so not focusing on anything, how I missed the import sticker is beyond me, it's visible in the second picture above the right intake cam sprocket area)
    Name:  image.jpeg
Views: 292
Size:  670.3 KB
Views: 309
Size:  638.2 KB
Views: 312
Size:  772.0 KB

I have no clue what it came out of or what year it is, though it had a single piece timing belt tensioner so 98 maybe? Also, since I pulled it out of a USM Legacy that had been using it for quite some time, I have no idea what mileage it has or what manifolds it came with, but it did have EGR.

I found somewhere, I can't remember where, that the JDM motors were rated at 175hp, 20/10 up from USDM 1996/1997-9 respectively. I'm assuming they're higher compression with the flat top pistons (since Japan doesn't have the crap gasoline that America does) but I've been running mine on 87 for 11 months/16k miles without more than the normal amount of piston slap for an aluminum engine that sat in a field for 2 years.
    Currently burns 1/1.5qts of 10w40 per thousand miles, though that probably has to do with manual trans and a 20 year olds driving habits. And hills.

Does anyone have any more info on these? More out of curiosity than anything, since I've been driving for a year without issue. Found a TON of info about the different EJ22/EJ25D motors in a frankenmotor thread (for if/when the oil consumption gets too bad, the original motor in my car lost compression through the rings at 240k) and wondering if there's a similar wealth of info on these? I'd like this to be a go-to thread for anyone wondering, since I can't seem to find one, just "is the swap possible?"

TL;DR: Is JDM really better or is it worse, and how so?
    I know asking if an EJ25D is reliable is like asking if I can breathe underwater, but still. 20 yrs old, 4 owned cars, 4 motor jobs in my garage. Makes me think after a while lol...
    Obsessed with my Legacy

1997 Legacy Outback EJ22E swap (sold)
    1998 Legacy Outback 5mt lifted
    1999 Legacy Outback Limited 30th anniversary (scrapped)
    1999 Legacy Outback (sold)

Find @oh_no_its_phil on Instagram for regular pics of my broken car

SLi nOOb
    Level
    Level completed: 7%, Points required for next Level: 93
    Achievements:
    1 year registered1000 Experience Points
    All three versions of the EJ25D are stroked versions of the EJ20D for their respective years, except for the 99 variant, which is a factory fusion of 97-99 25D heads and a 251/3 bottom end housing pistons. This fusion, along with other factory fusions/oddities, exists because of a parts overstock issue and is the result of the factory trying to empty all of the previous stock completely.

1996:
    57cc head chambers.
    -6cc pistons.
    9.5:1 compression ratio.

1997-1998:
    46.6cc head chambers.
    -14.5cc pistons.
    9.6:1 compression ratio.

1999 EJ25D:
    46.6cc head chambers.
    -14.5cc pistons.
    9.6:1 compression ratio.

The 1996 D heads have bigger intake ports and higher/longer intake runners than the later variants, as well, but shares rods, rod bearings, crank bearings, and crank with the 1997-1998 D variant while the 1999 D shares the same heads as the 1997-1998 D variant except for the rod bearings crank, crank bearings, and rods, which have a 52mm journal. All EJ25's have a 79mm stroke and 99.5mm bore, and all use a 1.3mm head gasket. (Funny part is that I'm about to deal with the same exact engine from my '96 Legacy LSi. Also, it is just EJ25D. The "DE" nomenclature is a Nissan thing.

Level
    Level completed: 1%, Points required for next Level: 99
    Achievements:
    Created Album pictures3 months registered1000 Experience Points
    I've wondered about the "DE" nomenclature, it seemed very Nissan (although Subaru and Nissan did and to an extent still do share many parts, same with Toyota). I've only heard the "DE" referencing JDM-only engines. I'm assuming it went off the fender tag that says engine family. All my USDM ones are listed as an "EJ25DA..." So I assumed the letters that followed would be changes.
    Obsessed with my Legacy

1997 Legacy Outback EJ22E swap (sold)
    1998 Legacy Outback 5mt lifted
    1999 Legacy Outback Limited 30th anniversary (scrapped)
    1999 Legacy Outback (sold)

Find @oh_no_its_phil on Instagram for regular pics of my broken car

SLi nOOb
    Level
    Level completed: 7%, Points required for next Level: 93
    Achievements:
    1 year registered1000 Experience Points
    Quote Originally Posted by Alarmklock View Post
    I've wondered about the "DE" nomenclature, it seemed very Nissan (although Subaru and Nissan did and to an extent still do share many parts, same with Toyota). I've only heard the "DE" referencing JDM-only engines. I'm assuming it went off the fender tag that says engine family. All my USDM ones are listed as an "EJ25DA..." So I assumed the letters that followed would be changes.
    This is true. Subaru and Nissan, especially in those years, spared so many parts that one could wonder if they're driving a Subaru or a weird Nissan. Lol!