Thread: Finally solved the Phase I to Phase II electronics conversion

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Level
    Level completed: 51%, Points required for next Level: 99
    Achievements:
    5000 Experience PointsO.G.
    I've been away from the forums for awhile, but the 4EAT went out in my wife's '98 EJ25D BK wagon last week and I've found myself looking stuff up again.

Setnev, I've been reading through some of your threads over on LGT.com and was very impressed with your clear writing style. It's funny you mention a plug-in conversion kit for ECU's because I was starting to think of something quite similar to this for a swap that I have in mind. Everyone dreads harness merges, and that is one (of many) things that's got me intimidated by the possibility of a swap while the car is down. For many years I'd dreamed of replacing the plain-Jane Phase 1 4EAT in our '98 with a Phase 2 Sport Shift 4EAT, as found on '03-04 GT's and '03-06 Baja Turbos. With my trans down now, I began investigating again but was let down when it was pointed out to me that my wish for a Phase 2 Sport Shift transmission swap (where in this scenario my original EJ25D engine stays with the car), wouldn't work with my Phase 1 ECU... it would have to be a full swap to Phase 2 Engine+ECU+Sport Shift 4EAT+TCU+Harness merge. If I had a '99, which came from the factory with "Phase 1.5" EJ25/ECU and Phase 2 4EAT/TCU, it would most likely work.

https://sl-i.net/FORUM/showthread.ph...t-in-a-1999-GT

I highly doubt that a Baja Turbo with Sport Shift donor is going to fall into my lap in the next couple days, but planning for that "someday" swap could be a bit more encouraging if I had a way to simply plug my chassis harness into the donor ECU by way of a translation plug, rather than a more common harnness merge by permanently cutting and splicing wires and "no turning back now".
    Last edited by camroncamera; 05-17-2017 at 05:22 PM.