Thread: Alternator bearing suspected

Alternator bearing suspected

Hey everyone,

I'm new to the forum. I've got a 2000 Legacy, 2.5 L, and recently noticed a strange whinning sound from under the hood. I looked into it closer and discovered that it's coming from the alternator. Which means that my alternator bearing is about to fail. For now, haven't noticed any charging problems so far, but I'm sure these will show up shortly. So wanted to ask you guys, whether I should go and buy a new alternator, or there is a way to replace the alternator bearing only? If so, is it too hard to do?

Thanks in advance!
    Love your Subies!!! Cheers!

Level
    Level completed: 83%, Points required for next Level: 26
    Achievements:
    1 year registered1000 Experience Points
    Your question intrigued me so I did a Google search. The typical answer was that no one does this anymore, at least diy. A silly story: years ago my Outback's alternator went out as I was driving to work (a Volvo dealership) so got it replaced at cost. A few weeks later I took that Outback into Subaru for something and when it was done, they told me they had replaced the alternator as it was under a recall. Also welcome to the forum!
    1996 Outback 5 speed
    1997 Legacy L wagon 5 speed Member's Ride I thread

"You want a real kick? You go Bernoulli." Pops Racer

Thanks, man! Yesterday also googled this question, and found a couple of instructions on how to do that. I am not sure whether I will do that, but once I replaced the alternator brushes, so hoping to cope with the bushing as well. So I went online, compared prices of alternators and bearings (https://www.carid.com/alternator-bearings/), and decided to give it a try. Anyways I've got an F-150 (2015) to drive, so even if I completely break the alternator, I will order a new one and will still have a vehicle to drive to work haha
    Last edited by mystiktrvlr17; 01-27-2017 at 03:06 AM.