Thread: Rusty and broken antenna bolt

New User
    Level
    Level completed: 86%, Points required for next Level: 14
    Achievements:
    3 months registered500 Experience Points

Rusty and broken antenna bolt

The other day, I tried to lower my antenna in order to wash my car, well the antenna was stuck. I tried removing the 2 screws holding the antenna so that I can see where the friction was and in doing so, one of the screws broke. So now my antenna is held on with just the forward screw and I still can't get it to budge. Also, the screw has caused the area under the antenna to rust. How difficult is it to retrofit the rear quarter window on a BH5 with the antenna and just patch the roof where the current antenna resides? I have never done rust repair before and have no idea how to go about doing it.

New User
    Level
    Level completed: 68%, Points required for next Level: 32
    Achievements:
    1 year registered1000 Experience Points
    Rust repair is pretty straight forward, you just need to use either metal or fiberglass. The two different materials each have their own repair methods. I prefer metal, but it will also require a welder.

Basically you need to sand/grind the rust back until you find fresh metal, then fix everything that was damaged by the rust.

Level
    Level completed: 8%, Points required for next Level: 92
    Achievements:
    3 months registered500 Experience Points
    To retrofit window antenna you will need window assembly with a antenna and antenna amplifier.
    I think it can be done, but rear windows are glued in place, just like a windshield, so it is not as easy as replacing a door window.
    Subaru Legacy GL EJ20 (BH, year 2002)