Thread: Driveline noise

New User
    Level
    Level completed: 23%, Points required for next Level: 77
    Achievements:
    500 Experience Points1 year registered

Driveline noise

00' Legacy GT, ATX

Last Wednesday, I started noticing a noise coming from the right rear of the vehicle. At first I thought it was the brakes reaching end of life. As I swapped out tires to snows the next day, I checked all the brakes and they all have meat left on the pads, rotors show no scoring, but an odd wear pattern most likely due to the fact that the car sat for 3 years before I bought and repaired it. Wheel bearings I could not feel any play in them, and the tie rods in front have just a very minor amount of play in them. The noise sounds similar to when the brake pad backing plate starts digging into a rotor. The noise is not affected by brake apply or release (which about ruled out brakes, but I still checked them), and is wheel speed dependent. It has been getting louder and louder each day, but oddly, it is particularly loud when cold and quiets up after a few miles of highway speed driving, as my commute is > 90% highway driving. It varies in intensity depending on cornering, but it doesn't behave like what I have known a wheel bearing to sound like. It will lessen with a slight right turn, and will worsen with any left or a moderate right turn. Vehicle also seems to have a cornering hesitation when entering a slight right, but not when in a slight left. Tires that came off were showing even tread wear, with a bit of sidewall scuffing on front (Autocross). I'm assuming the sound is a right rear wheel bearing, but wanted to be a bit more confident in that diagnosis before throwing parts at it, as money is tight from the holidays.

New User
    Level
    Level completed: 23%, Points required for next Level: 77
    Achievements:
    500 Experience Points1 year registered
    Well, seeing that no one replied.......

It was indeed the wheel bearing.