Thread: Jacobpockros's 2001 Legacy GT Limited Sedan 5spd:

Level
    Level completed: 66%, Points required for next Level: 52
    Achievements:
    1000 Experience PointsVeteran

Jacobpockros's 2001 Legacy GT Limited Sedan 5spd:

A lot of this stuff is copied and pasted from my Legacygt thread, but seems like there's a bigger crowd for this bodystyle on this forum. Anywho:

The day I bought it from a chevy dealership in Arizona. Was a one-owner car that was traded in at 113,000 miles for a new Chevy. Bought it with no service history or paperwork of any kind. A thorough analysis later on reviled that it still has all its original paint and drivetrain components. Lucky me!

Added Whiteline Front and Rear Sway bars after I had my second set of lowering springs on (I got into lowering springs and tried 4 different sets out over the years, ultimately deciding that Tein S-Tech Springs are what I like the most).

eBay Strut Tower Bar, Yakima Roof Rack, and Drag DR-31's (17x8 +47et):

Custom 2.25" Bolt-on Catback using Magnaflow 14832 Muffler. DNA Motoring (Speed Daddy) UEL Headers:

Woodgrain Momo Shift Knob (was a dealer-added option on a BH Subaru Outback in Canada):

How she sits right now:

More updates to come...
    Last edited by Jacobpockros; 11-11-2017 at 08:05 PM.
    2001 Subaru Legacy Limited Sedan 5spd
    Delta 1500 Cams/ DNA Motoring UEL Headers/ Magnaflow 14829 Catback/ Ganzflow and K&N Drop-in/ Perrin Crank Pulley/ Tein S-Tech Springs/ KYB Struts/ Paranoid Fabrications Rear Tophat Spacers/ Whiteline Front & Rear Sway Bars/ eBay Front Strut Bar/ Drag DR-31 Wheels/ Outback LL Bean Steering Wheel/ Yakima Roof Rack/ Putco Yellow Fog Bulbs/ 170,000+ Miles

Level
    Level completed: 81%, Points required for next Level: 76
    Achievements:
    VeteranOverdrive10000 Experience Points
    What a beaut! I'm not normally a fan of wood grain, but that shifter looks really comfortable. Probably doesn't get too hot or cold like an aluminum one.
    2002 Outback H6 VDC "Blitzen 6"

Quote Originally Posted by Lancaster6
    A sherpa could rip ass somewhere high up in the Himalayas and my Prius will be blown almost off of the road.

Level
    Level completed: 56%, Points required for next Level: 44
    Achievements:
    1 year registered1000 Experience Points
    Not normally a fan of the 3rd gen platform, but this is looking REALLY spiffy!
    1998 Subaru Legacy Outback Limited Auto EJ-25D
    Legacy GT Outback build thread
    1997 Subaru Legacy Outback Parts car... Auto EJ-25D
    1988 Toyota Camry DX All-Trac Manual
    All-Trac Build thread

Level
    Achievements:
    Quote Originally Posted by Muse View Post
    What a beaut! I'm not normally a fan of wood grain, but that shifter looks really comfortable. Probably doesn't get too hot or cold like an aluminum one.
    Thank you! Most Subaru guys I've talked to don't like wood grain, but I'm taking the luxury approach towards this build instead of doing the black/carbon fiber look like most people go with. Shifter stays room temp and is the same exact same size as OEM. It's identical to the rest of wood trim and makes me wonder if Momo modeled it after Subaru.

Quote Originally Posted by thedeadhp View Post
    Not normally a fan of the 3rd gen platform, but this is looking REALLY spiffy!
    3rd gens are pretty unpopular (aside from Outbacks), which is why they're such a good deal to buy lol. I'm happy to see it caught your attention.
    Delta 1500 Cams/ DNA Motoring UEL Headers/ Magnaflow 14829 Catback/ Ganzflow and K&N Drop-in/ Perrin Crank Pulley/ Tein S-Tech Springs/ KYB Struts/ Paranoid Fabrications Rear Tophat Spacers/ Whiteline Front & Rear Sway Bars/ eBay Front Strut Bar/ Drag DR-31 Wheels/ Outback LL Bean Steering Wheel/ Yakima Roof Rack/ Putco Yellow Fog Bulbs/ 170,000+ Miles

Level
    Achievements:
    Installed a Woodgrain Outback LL Bean Steering Wheel that was sitting in my closet for nearly two years lol. I really wanted to use an 04' WRX Airbag as opposed to the 03' since Subaru designed the colors of the emblems to match the speedometer needles. To do this I had to swap an 03' charge onto the 04' airbag since the 04' uses a different plug style. Pretty sure the charges are identical besides that since they both bolt right in. Anywho, pics:

Last edited by Jacobpockros; 11-11-2017 at 08:08 PM.

Level
    Level completed: 56%, Points required for next Level: 44
    Achievements:
    1 year registered1000 Experience Points
    I put the LL bean wheel in mine and I LOVE IT! Great feel! Much firmer than the original wheel! I cant wait to find a MOMO Airbag for mine! perfect wheel IMO.
    1998 Subaru Legacy Outback Limited Auto EJ-25D
    Legacy GT Outback build thread
    1997 Subaru Legacy Outback Parts car... Auto EJ-25D
    1988 Toyota Camry DX All-Trac Manual
    All-Trac Build thread

Level
    Level completed: 81%, Points required for next Level: 76
    Achievements:
    VeteranOverdrive10000 Experience Points
    If it's a direct fit for your shifter, rather than having an adapter, it's probably designed specifically for Subaru. I know my MOMO knob actually says MOMO and Subaru on it.
    2002 Outback H6 VDC "Blitzen 6"

Quote Originally Posted by Lancaster6
    A sherpa could rip ass somewhere high up in the Himalayas and my Prius will be blown almost off of the road.

Level
    Achievements:
    Update:

Took awhile but got all the pictures in here back up after transferring everything over to Flickr. Almost at 154k and still going strong. Made a clean Ganzflow intake and added a K&N Drop-in and I have a black Perrin Underdrive pulley that I need to install. I also purchased a piggyback that I may or may not keep that has pre-tuned Rallitek maps on it. Have not installed that either. The stock exhaust is back on the car for the moment as I'm going to redo that setup from scratch as well. Headlights became foggy and then one of them got hit by some foreign object, so I replaced the broken one and then got them both buffed out. I should have more interesting news and pictures once 2018 hits.

Last edited by Jacobpockros; 01-11-2018 at 06:05 PM.

Level
    Achievements:
    Update:

Haven’t changed much but have a couple pictures of my 9whp Ganzflow intake/K&N setup and the Perrin Lightweight Pulley:

Getting the new catback made tomorrow and currently looking for an extra set of cams to send in for a 1500 regrind.

SLi Supporter
    Level
    Level completed: 18%, Points required for next Level: 41
    Achievements:
    7 days registered100 Experience Points
    I e been anxiously awaiting updates as I love seeing high mileage cars still going strong. Plus by this time it’s soo many things offered for them, till it’s like being a kid in the candy store.

Level
    Achievements:
    Quote Originally Posted by Coppertone View Post
    I e been anxiously awaiting updates as I love seeing high mileage cars still going strong. Plus by this time it’s soo many things offered for them, till it’s like being a kid in the candy store.
    I’m lucky they make some stuff for it, but things like exhaust, cams, and a good intake all have to be custom-made if you want it for your usdm car.

Level
    Level completed: 8%, Points required for next Level: 92
    Achievements:
    3 months registered500 Experience Points
    Does Lightweight Pulley really make a difference or is it just for looks?
    Subaru Legacy GL EJ20 (BH, year 2002)

Level
    Achievements:
    Quote Originally Posted by Kamion View Post
    Does Lightweight Pulley really make a difference or is it just for looks?
    It’s 4lbs lighter than stock and the revs definetly come on quicker after each gear change. As for power, I couldn’t tell a difference with this mod alone, but I’m sure it freed up some sort of power. I notice a hp difference with all my bolt-ons mods working together.
    Last edited by Jacobpockros; 01-23-2018 at 08:35 PM.

Level
    Achievements:
    Update:

Wash & wax and got the new catback made with a magnaflow 14829 muffler. 2.25 inch piping. More detailed pics later.

Level
    Level completed: 34%, Points required for next Level: 264
    Achievements:
    10000 Experience PointsO.G.
    Really like the car! I wish I could find one this clean where I live
    ~Matt
    '15 Ram 1500 Sport Crewcab
    '06 STi w/full bolt ons

Level
    Achievements:

Gave some overdue attention to the subi. Clutch slip got so bad that I barely made it home. New disk, flywheel, tob, various hardware, and a couple rebuilt axles. Also did front bushings/balljoints while things were apart. All oem subaru parts. Also replaced the rear main seal, but I’m pissed because I found out that it was a pointless thing to do on these engines... after I pulled the old one out. Regardless, car drives amazing now. Just need to align it.

Level
    Achievements:
    Recent Update

Been very busy since I got a new job as a Technician at Ford/Hyundai. I guess this stuff is becoming more commonplace!

My car started to slip into the phase of “too many problems” and I did not want to lose her. Waterpump gasket blew at 173,000 miles and I had no history if the headgaskets had ever been replaced so I decided to “bulletproof” the motor so I can venture into the 200k mile club.

Pulled the heads so I could do new gaskets everywhere. I believe leaving the engine in the car is not a bad way to do it and I don’t want to see the engine out of my baby if I don’t have to (even though I do heavy line for a living at the dealership).

All parts oem from Subaru.

Oem Headgaskets
    Oem head bolts (just because)
    Oem crank seal
    Oem waterpump with gasket/o-ring
    Oem Tensioner bracket gaskets (because)
    Oem Tensioners/idlers
    Oem Timing belt
    Oem Water pipe gaskets
    Oem Intake manifold gaskets
    Oem Throttle body gasket (just because)
    Oem Valve cover gaskets
    Oem Oil pan
    Oem Three-bond sealant
    Oem Upper/lower radiator hoses
    Oem Heater inlet/outlet hoses
    Oem serpentine belts

Even spent $200 to get all the non-essential foam/rubber pieces that go on the plastic pieces behind the timing belt cover (which I’ve ALSO replaced):

I’ve spent $2,000 in OEM parts for this job. Does not include the rebuilt heads.

Also got a second set of cams to put in and sent them to Delta for a 1500 regrind. Should have more mid range power now:

Had the heads rebuilt at the machine shop with the carbon cleaned out and new oem valve stem seals. Everything else was reusable:

Tires were also shot. The best dry-handling tire I could find (besides Michelin) was the Firestone Firehawk Indy 500. Needless to say I don’t regret my decision, and $110 per tire sounded appealing:

Here she is back together.... 7.5 months later (a job that would normally take days if I was at work lol):

I’m lucky to have a Subaru master tech as a friend who stepped in a few times to make sure it was done the “right” way and to take the wheel on a few steps I wanted done only by someone that lives and breaths these engines (which is not me).
    I plan on keeping this car tucked away somewhere after I phase it out one day so that’s why I wanted to do the motor so much justice. I want to keep this car for a long time. As of right now everything has been addressed and brought back to life, and it pulls so much better with cams. Now being completely maintained I have confidence to daily it again. I did push my cam seals in too far, so I have one problem that I need to go back and readdress in a few months. Other than that she lives on.

Current mod list:

- Delta 1500 Cams
    - DNA Motoring UEL's
    - Magnaflow 14832 Catback
    - Ganzflow and K&N Drop-in
    - Perrin Lightweight Crank Pulley
    - Tein S-Tech Springs
    - KYB Struts
    - 1" Rear Tophat Spacers
    - Whiteline Front & Rear Sway Bars
    - eBay Strut Bar
    - DR-31 Wheels
    - Outback LL Bean Steering Wheel
    - Yakima Roof Rack
    - eBay 3000K Yellow Fog Bulbs

I’m also slowly working on a patch harness so I can put my piggyback tune on. Once’s that’s on I’m hoping to make 200hp crank awd.